Cessna 172 landing (stall)

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
streichholz
Airman

Cessna 172 landing (stall)

Post by streichholz »

Hi folks,

I really enjoy the A2A Cessna 172. What a beautiful plane. However, at the moment i struggle with the "perfect" landing. I watched some videos and tutorials for the 172 and every (real) or virtual landing contains a stallwarning (?) during flare. My landings end most of the time in balooning (too fast) or in bumpy landings (nosewheel first). The stallwarning in general works fine but not during touch-down. What is the key for this?

What i mean:

(about 14:50) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VajilotXX34

Sometimes i land with mainwheels first, but no stallwarning. :(

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Re: Cessna 172 landing (stall)

Post by Caldemeyn »

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

streichholz wrote:Hi folks,

I really enjoy the A2A Cessna 172. What a beautiful plane. However, at the moment i struggle with the "perfect" landing. I watched some videos and tutorials for the 172 and every (real) or virtual landing contains a stallwarning (?) during flare. My landings end most of the time in balooning (too fast) or in bumpy landings (nosewheel first). The stallwarning in general works fine but not during touch-down. What is the key for this?

What i mean:

(about 14:50) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VajilotXX34

Sometimes i land with main wheels first, but no stall warning. :(
It is possible in ANY airplane to achieve touchdown BEFORE the full stall has been reached. In fact, most landings happen this way !
This happens when, as airspeed is decreasing during your flare, the developing sink rate isn't countered exactly with back pressure and the aircraft settles on down to the runway.
Most landings that are thought to be full stall landings are in fact this type of landing.
This isn't a serious issue as long as it happens near the stall angle of attack.
Good instructors, when teaching landings, will emphasize strongly during the first dual session on landings that a landing is NOT NECESSARILY a clear and defined point where stall is defined. All to many pilots live out their entire flying lives believing that stall is like a light switch...either ON or OFF. It isn't. Stall is an ever increasing rate of sink followed by either a stall break or more sink rate depending on the wing design.
Your landing is usually made as touchdown is achieved softly during the time where the lift curve for the wing is gently curving THROUGH the stall area. This could be just before reaching the curve's peak, at it's peak, or just beyond it's peak, depending on how well you have played the back pressure on the yoke or stick against the sink rate as to the main gear's exact height above the landing surface.
The stall horn may or may not be in play during this process.
Dudley Henriques

streichholz
Airman

Post by streichholz »

Ok Henri, nice to know that a stallwarning isn't required during the touch-down process. Yesterday and today i practiced a lot of landings. I gradually getting the point when the mainwheel is coming down first (smooth most of the time) and then slowly put down the nosewheel. However no stallwarning so far during my landings. Just one but this was an awkward landing.

It's just because I watched a lot of videos and they irritated me a little bit.

Thank you for the fast reply. :) This helped a lot.

cessnaman
Airman First Class

Post by cessnaman »

Don't know if you saw this video, but this may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv5HEJCyTuk

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”