Trouble landing: can't center the aircraft with the runway.

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
Wild Bill Kelsoe
Airman First Class

Re: Trouble landing: can't center the aircraft with the runw

Post by Wild Bill Kelsoe »

hello again.

yes for the picture I meant a 60 kt speed, 500 feet altitude, at 4 nm out, with -100 ft/min VSI sink rate.

No I did not know there were tutorials included in the package. Where are they? I know I'm deviating from the manual but last I touched down with -500 ft/min was a total slam to the main gears and I favor a shallow approach over a deep approach.

thanks

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

You need to level off and flare before touchdown. You don't fly into the ground at a constant descent rate. Approaching at roughly 500 ft/min and then leveling off and flaring to hold off the ground until touchdown is the proper technique. Again, in visual flight you don't worry about the exact vertical slide. 100 ft/min is actually dangerous for obstacle clearance, engine faiulure risk, visibility, etc.

Go to Learning Center and then select Lessons.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

pushpak123
Airman

Post by pushpak123 »

Hi
I am having same problem see my post here

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 10#p309593

may be reply there assist you to solve the problem

domini99
Senior Airman

Post by domini99 »

pushpak123 wrote:Hi
I am having same problem see my post here

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 10#p309593

may be reply there assist you to solve the problem
I can land the Cherokee fine, with full flap down it barely floats.

I'm still training myself in the 172, which is getting better now.

ftrusky
Senior Airman

Post by ftrusky »

Probably just my poor technique but one thing I've noticed with the 172 is too much flaps + too much speed = floating and a loss of yaw command at a critical point shortly before touch down that the rudder can't fully correct for. I generally use 1 notch, 2 tops and focus on controlling speed just above the stall with the throttle and not relying on the flaps to control my speed. I always know how much runway I have to work with in advance and on short runway/landing strips I sometimes power up a skosh just before I reach the start of the landing area if I need to use full flaps.

The Cherokee is easier to plant on the centerline for me.

I chalk it up to the excellence in flight modeling A2A did on these 2 very different birds.

It's said that it's better to be a little long than short when landing. I think it's also better to touchdown a little fast rather than a little slow. But that's just my approach.
Frank

Rig #1: I7 4770 @ 4.3,16GB @ 2133, Nv GTX780, 1TB Sansung SSD, 40" Sony KDL 40EX500,CH Prod, Bose Comp. 5, W7 64
Rig #2: I7 2700 @ 4.6, 8GB @ 1866, Nv GTX580, C=256GB SSD, E&F=2 X 600 V-raps, 30" Dell, CH Prod, Bose Comp. 5, W7 64

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”