C 172 Starting Procedure

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
afraj
Airman Basic

C 172 Starting Procedure

Post by afraj »

Ever since I installed the new update. I have been having problems starting the engines manually. I follow the same procedure I do in the real world, but it does not start and then it gives me AC power on the panel and then have to recharge the battery.

JoeS475
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: C 172 Starting Procedure

Post by JoeS475 »

Try again and use no more than just one to two seconds of primer.

Let us know how it works... ;)

Joe
Joe

Kracksn
Airman

Post by Kracksn »

Hi!

with CoreUpdate 2.0 it can be pain in the *** to start her. But srsly, priming more than three seconds at 20°C outside temp will overflood her. Last week I flew up to Spitsbergen and let her stay there over night - bad choice, next morning there was -39°C outside temp ... it took me nearly 1 hour to start her up but its so amazing how this plane reacts to those temperaturs its just so amazing how A2A did that .... that pure .... being realistic thingi. I mean the engine barely moved and the batteryvoltage droped so fast that i burned 3 starters out and used up to 40 new batterys :P BUT THEN after nearly an hour of cranking, waiting, cranking, waiting, cranking, waiting FINALY some sputtering ... more sputtering and then she was there running in all her beauty. So i took off and went straight to my hometown in Germany without any problems. Back there she got a fresh shot oil and new sparkplugs. Just so much fun to fly with those Accusim Planes.

Wow long text sorry for that :lol:

-Marco
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

It is really a wonderful feature and a great training tool.

What you needed there was a preheat. You should have connected the engine pre-heating system to get it nice and warm before trying to crank.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Kracksn
Airman

Post by Kracksn »

hehe i did, but somehow if i select the pre heater in Maintance Hanger i need to activate it in shift+3 Menu too
i was worried after 15 Minutes the engine wasnt really getting warmer (is that how you say that? i really have to fresh up my english :oops: ) It was just nice to see in the beginning the starter really had to do some hard work and while after while it was much smoother. Great coding behind all this 8)
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

arnonmoscona
Airman

Post by arnonmoscona »

I tried it. And even using the engine heater (Ctrl-3 to turn on) I am unable to start it in cold temperature (e.g. now, Alaska - PAAQ in the morning). If I move the aircraft to somewhere warmer, like my home in CA, there's no problem. For all I know this is realistic. I cannot tell. But from a game play perspective, it makes it overly hard to use the airplane - to the point that in Alaska, I end up using something else.

It would be nice if there was a feature for accelerated engine heating that may not be all that realistic, but would let start reasonably fast...

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

If you just want to get up and running you can use auto start.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

clmooring
Airman First Class

Post by clmooring »

I was having a problem starting the engine after the update too. I was about 3 seconds of priming. I could start that beast to save my life. Someone on this forum suggested that I use 1 to 2 seconds. 1 second did the trick. It starts every time.

cflord
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by cflord »

I have also lost the ability to start the 172R since installing Accu-Sim 2.0. I downloaded and printed a technique/procedure "wrkempson" came up with to start the 172: but it does not work for me. This is very frustrating and takes away from the realism of the airplane.

Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down!

Ret SMSgt Cliff Lord - C-130 Flight Engineer :(

threegreens
Airman

Post by threegreens »

The one i have been using that has been working for me, no worries...2 to 3 secs on the fuel pump, mixture out a little less than a 1/4 and then crank her over if doesn't start first time another quick shot on the fuel pump and then re-key 8)
ImageImage

Tiger_Walts
Senior Airman

Post by Tiger_Walts »

I had an odd situation the other day. When it came to the run-up and there was roughness when I switched to either mag. So I brought it up to 2000rpm and leaned out until the engine was rough and re-enriched to smooth. A second mag-check yielded the same result. So I brought it to idle, checked the oil temp was stable, and pulled the mix.

I opened the hanger panel expecting to see some fault with the mags. No such bad luck, just a clogged air filter. So I replaced it. On trying to restart the engine, the oil was still hot so I didn't prime. However, the engine didn't want to start at all. Crack throttle, turn key, advance mix ... nothing. The prop turned but not even a cough.

Tried all I could think of, even clearing a possible engine flooding. She just wouldn't start. A second trip to the hanger revealed nothing. In the end I had to use the auto-start, the mag-check went well this time.

TommyK154
Airman Basic

Post by TommyK154 »

I actually just started having issues too. I've been starting it fine, even with the 2.0 update, but for the past 2 days I haven't been able to start it manually. I've been doing the same things as always but it just doesn't crank over. I'm in no extreme weather, Santa Monica temps around 60-70F. If I auto-start, go to idle cutoff, and start it again manually I can do it then, but not straight from loading in the game. I don't think I'm over priming but idk I don't do it for more than 3 seconds. This is weird. Everything is tip top in the hanger

clmooring
Airman First Class

Post by clmooring »

TommyK154 wrote:I actually just started having issues too. I've been starting it fine, even with the 2.0 update, but for the past 2 days I haven't been able to start it manually. I've been doing the same things as always but it just doesn't crank over. I'm in no extreme weather, Santa Monica temps around 60-70F. If I auto-start, go to idle cutoff, and start it again manually I can do it then, but not straight from loading in the game. I don't think I'm over priming but idk I don't do it for more than 3 seconds. This is weird. Everything is tip top in the hanger
Try priming for just 1 second after the fuel flow stabilizes. That works for me.

domini99
Senior Airman

Post by domini99 »

I start the plane this way:
1. Make sure fuel selector and cutoff switch is set correctly
2. Master switch on.
3. Mixture and throttle 0%
4. Enable fuel pump and slowly move the mixture to rich, count 3 or 5 (3 for warm day, 5 for cold day) and than quickly pull the mixture back to 0 and disable the fuel pump.
5. Crank the throttle 1/3
6. Move mixture about an inch out.
7. Start ignition. When she doesn't start in 10 seconds, stop ignition and let the cylinders drain for a bit and try again.

I found this tip in the forums, and a really similar thing has been told when the real 172 someone was trying to start didn't start. Hope it helps :)

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

I have had no problems starting the 172, I even tried it at La Paz Peru (elevation ~ 13000'), and Antarctica from Cold Start, after following the procedure below, I never have problems starting.

I use similar procedure as Domini

Fuel Selector set
Mixture cutoff
Throttle 1/4
Master On
Fuel Pump On
Mixture Full Rich for 3 Seconds MAX
Mixture Cutoff
Fuel Pump Off
Start Ignition
Mixture Rich when engine 'catches'
Throttle to 1000RPM.
Oil Pressure Rising confirmed
Throttle 1200RPM when engine stabilized
Mixture Lean for Density Altitude (lean for peak regardless of elevation)
Throttle 1000RPM
Continue Pre Taxi checks
Last edited by pilottj on 27 Jun 2014, 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”