Behavior when setting flaps

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
0Artur0
Airman First Class

Behavior when setting flaps

Post by 0Artur0 »

Hi!

I'm wondering about this for a long time but now I finally watched quite a few cockpit videos of real airplane and compare the behavior with A2A C172. Whenever I set flaps on FSX version the airplane balloons heavily - if I'm on approach with -600 fpm vertical speed and set on notch of flaps the VS always change to positive VS (so, it's ballooning in a way) but in RW cockpit videos I don't see this.. it changes just slightly. How come?
CPU: 4790K
Video Card: Geforce GTX 970
Windows 7 (64 bit)

My FSX Videos

L.A.
Senior Airman

Re: Behavior when setting flaps

Post by L.A. »

0Artur0 wrote:Hi!

I'm wondering about this for a long time but now I finally watched quite a few cockpit videos of real airplane and compare the behavior with A2A C172. Whenever I set flaps on FSX version the airplane balloons heavily - if I'm on approach with -600 fpm vertical speed and set on notch of flaps the VS always change to positive VS (so, it's ballooning in a way) but in RW cockpit videos I don't see this.. it changes just slightly. How come?
I'd say it's anticipating the balooning, and applying down elevator at the same time. It's what I always did. While the Cessnas I flew balooned up, a low wing I flew pitched down.

0Artur0
Airman First Class

Post by 0Artur0 »

Ok, so if I understand this.. the real aircraft also balloons when setting flaps but the pilots in the videos are countermeasuring it so it's not showing on VSI?
Windows 7 (64 bit)

My FSX Videos

Tiger_Walts
Senior Airman

Post by Tiger_Walts »

On a 3 degree glide slope, 600 fpm equates to a groundspeed of approximately 120kts. At sea-level with calm winds the IAS would also be around 120kts. This is 10kts above the maximum speed for 10 degrees of flaps. Ballooning up in this instance is guaranteed and may also cause wear on your flaps.

Get in the habit of lowering your airspeed before final approach. Plan a short stretch of level flight where you can bleed of that airspeed and get the first 10 degrees of flaps in and the aircraft trimmed. Flight is easier and more predictable if you deploy them later than their max speed ratings and when you use the extra drag to prevent acceleration, not as a means for deceleration.

The C172R will always want to pitch up when you add flaps, but the effect is lessened with lower airspeeds.

dvm
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by dvm »

The forces on the yoke when adding flaps on the Cessnas I have flown is something I miss in the sim.

CAPFlyer
A2A Aviation Consultant

Post by CAPFlyer »

I can tell you right now, every pilot, whether he realizes it or not, automatically compensates for the ballooning when flaps are added. No matter what speed you add them at, you feel that push in the pants as they start coming down and you just push forwards to keep it on glidepath. That's one of the problem with watching videos. 90% of them show good airmanship and you'll never be able to judge how the plane actually flies off them because the pilot isn't making a test flight video, they're just making a video to show the flight and the pilot, not the airplane.

0Artur0
Airman First Class

Post by 0Artur0 »

Tiger_Walts wrote:The C172R will always want to pitch up when you add flaps, but the effect is lessened with lower airspeeds.
I guess my speed was a bit to high.
CAPFlyer wrote:I can tell you right now, every pilot, whether he realizes it or not, automatically compensates for the ballooning when flaps are added. No matter what speed you add them at, you feel that push in the pants as they start coming down and you just push forwards to keep it on glidepath. That's one of the problem with watching videos. 90% of them show good airmanship and you'll never be able to judge how the plane actually flies off them because the pilot isn't making a test flight video, they're just making a video to show the flight and the pilot, not the airplane.
That's probably it.

Thanks for your answers!
Windows 7 (64 bit)

My FSX Videos

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”