Trim and landing help

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
kramerdc9
Airman

Trim and landing help

Post by kramerdc9 »

I've had the 172R for about a month now and really enjoy it. The only questions I have are elevator trim settings and landings. I find that most of the time I have to have the elevator trim set really down for takeoffs (which are normal), but during cruise it's still way down and even during landings. I've flown 152's in RW and know that this is a different aircraft and was just wondering if this is normal. Is constant down elevator trim required for the 172R? Second, during landings I configure the plane correctly (flaps/speed) and still have to have down elevator. When I was taught in the 152, power to 1700, flaps abeam runway, downward yoke and let speed decrease. Turn base set flaps 20, a little upward elevator and let speed and altitude decrease. Final, 30 flaps 60kts power off over threshold and pull yoke back for gentle stall. 172R I set up correct speed and flaps but when over runway I get ground effect and landing doesn't feel right. Did quite a few touch and goes for practice and can't seem to get the feel of it. I really enjoy the aircraft and hope I can get some insight on these two topics. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Trim and landing help

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello kramerdc9,

welcome to the forums. You will want to make sure you have the latest version which as of the date of this post is 1.6 found here;
http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 23&t=38314

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

kramerdc9
Airman

Post by kramerdc9 »

Thanks Lewis for the reply. However, I already have applied the core update to 1.6. Any other suggestions?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Okie dokie great.

Right then the trim, well you will always trim for level flight, and never trim for the marker. The trim settings required will always change, with different loads, power settings etc. So trim as required and don't get too carried away with markers on the hardware, its a common issue with sim flyers who spend a lot of time looking inside the pit rather than out of it.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Okie dokie great.

Right then the trim, well you will always trim for level flight, and never trim for the marker. The trim settings required will always change, with different loads, power settings etc. So trim as required and don't get too carried away with markers on the hardware, its a common issue with sim flyers who spend a lot of time looking inside the pit rather than out of it.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
This is so true that I would add that in teaching students to fly most good instructors will have the student check the trim setting ONLY to make sure it is properly set for takeoff. Once in the air and until the airplane is parked, virtually all trim adjustment is done by trimming the aircraft to a neutral pressure as determined by feel alone.
Dudley Henriques

kramerdc9
Airman

Post by kramerdc9 »

Ok thanks for the feedback and will take your words of advice.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”