My take on voice activated checklists

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Re: My take on voice activated checklists

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Thanks for sharing your tweaks to the checklist.

As you point out and as I mentioned in my video, there needs to be I think some better granularity in the checklists separating out the taxi items. There's an excellent series of videos by "FS Flight Lessons" on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh5-fIc4SQU) showing real life checklists and drawing comparisons with the A2A C172. I may do another version of the 172 checklists based on what I hear in that video.

I see you've added a few extra commands, out of interest do you use the included WAV files for most of the checklist and then revert to the default MS voice for those or have you recorded your own voice pack (or of course use the default MS voice for all of it)?
ImageImageImage

Tiger_Walts
Senior Airman

Post by Tiger_Walts »

I'm using your voice pack. I've used existing checklist item names and it picks up your wav files for those. For the new items I added, it uses Anna. For instance, "Navigation lights set on" could be changed to "Navigation lights set", and then answered with ["On", "Off", "Checked", "Not required"]. I'm using "Navigation lights set on" because your wav file is quicker and clearer.

I'll probably record my own files once I have refined the checklist some more, I can then make a script and record them all in one session, apply filters to just one audio track and make individual files. There are still a few things that need adding or changed. Such as a reminder to set the AP cruise altitude (One less thing to do in flight). In fact a whole check of the radio stack can be added between engine start and taxi, making sure that all the frequencies needed for departure are tuned in. It also gives time for the engine to warm.

Tiger_Walts
Senior Airman

Post by Tiger_Walts »

I've just added a departure radio setup after the engine start:

Code: Select all

<checklist name="Departure Radio Setup">
		<item name="Com 1 Standby set to tower" vcommand="Set,Checked"/>
		<item name="Com 1 Active set to ground" vcommand="Set,Checked"/>
		<item name="Com 2 Active set to airport information" vcommand="Set,Checked"/>
		<item name="Airport information received" vcommand="Received"/>
		<item name="Nav 1 Standby set to first VOR on plan" vcommand="Set,Checked,Not Required"/>
		<item name="Nav 1 Active set to expected Runway ILS" vcommand="Set,Checked,Not Required"/>
		<item name="Heading bug and VOR 1 set to expected Runway" vcommand="Set,Checked"/>
		<item name="Transponder squawk code set" vcommand="Set,Checked"/>
		<item name="Transponder set to standby" vcommand="Set,Checked,Standby"/>
		<item name="Autopilot barometric pressure set" vcommand="Set,Checked"/>
		<item name="Autopilot cruise altitude set" vcommand="Set,Checked"/>
		<item name="ADF Standby and Active set" vcommand="Set,Checked,Not Required"/>
		<item name="DME set" vcommand="Set,Checked,Not Required"/>
	</checklist>
This assumes you have IFR clearance already. Also, while you don't need the Navaids for VFR, it's always nice to know you're on the correct runway so it's useful for VFR.

There are a few other changes too, I've updated the download.

André
Airman First Class

Post by André »

SouthPawPaul wrote:Thanks for sharing your tweaks to the checklist.

As you point out and as I mentioned in my video, there needs to be I think some better granularity in the checklists separating out the taxi items. There's an excellent series of videos by "FS Flight Lessons" on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh5-fIc4SQU) showing real life checklists and drawing comparisons with the A2A C172. I may do another version of the 172 checklists based on what I hear in that video.
Bookmarked :o
- I just wanted to say thank you for the work you've put in, and thanks a bunch for not charging us. :D
I assume this comes with a readme, or is there anything I should know before installing this? Like installing part 1 and 2 first?

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

You're welcome.

If you don't want keybinds or the ability to redirect audio to something other than your default audio device, then the original 0.1 version will be sufficient for your needs.

I talk through setting up and the use of the app in some videos back a few posts:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 79#p281779

and

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 51#p281851
ImageImageImage

André
Airman First Class

Post by André »

Puk wrote:What a big disappointement.... I really was looking forward to install and tryout your magnificent looking Voice Checklist. Having read all the information and watched all the video's, I was planning to check it out this afternoon. Unfortunately. .. the Dutch installed Windows7 (Home Premium) OS doesn't recognize English speech. The only way to get that changed, I think, is to reinstall Windows7 with English as language :?

I made a little trip nevertheless and used the analog checklist.

If there's an easier way to get things work, please let me know!

Peter
I found a fix for this without having to reinstall OS.
Allthough it is in Norwegian, I can translate after I have tried it:
http://samfunn.myhken.com/windows-7-hvo ... -pa-w7-pro

- This works both ways. I need to change from Norsi to English, following this guide. Except I delete the nb-NO in the register. Will try this later to make sure it works. For now I'm busy with EZcam and A2A, witch turns out to be more tricky than I thought.
Last edited by André on 11 Dec 2013, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

arnonmoscona
Airman

Post by arnonmoscona »

SouthPawPaul wrote:I'm currently turning this from a tool that I use into something that vaguely resembles a user friendly app(note vague! :) ).

I am also going to make this open source and upload the source to Google Code so that anyone can input should they feel that way inclined. Hopefully my code won't get hammered too much! Although I'm a commercial developer, I'm not a C# developer!

I hope to have a "first cut" release within the next week.

Oooh! Awesome!

I suppose that you are using fsuipc to connect? can't wait to see your work on Google code. There is so little out there that's open source for FSX.

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

André wrote: I found a fix for this without having to reinstall OS.
Allthough it is in Norwegian, I can translate after I have tried it:
http://samfunn.myhken.com/windows-7-hvo ... -pa-w7-pro

- This works both ways. I need to change from Norsi to English, following this guide. Except I delete the nb-NO in the register. Will try this later to make sure it works. For now I'm busy with EZcam and A2A, witch turns out to be more tricky than I thought.
That's superb news André. Congratulations on the fix.
ImageImageImage

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

arnonmoscona wrote:Oooh! Awesome!

I suppose that you are using fsuipc to connect? can't wait to see your work on Google code. There is so little out there that's open source for FSX.
Thanks for your interest in the app.

I released the app a number of weeks ago now. It can be downloaded from the Google repository at:
https://code.google.com/p/voice-activated-checklists/

The program is completely independent of the simulator. It purely reads a list and responds to a configured voice command. It presently does not read any status information from the simulator. So if say it reads "Flaps set to takeoff" and you say "Set", then it will continue along on it's merry way regardless of whether you have set the flaps to takeoff or not.

Because it is independent of the simulator it has allowed other folks to use it elsewhere. It's currently in use with Falcon4 BMS, FSX, P3D, P3Dv2 and X-Plane. What you use it for is only limited by your own imagination :)

I have thought of making it connect to FSX, but I've looked at going "native" with SimConnect.
ImageImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yup I rather enjoy that fact that is outside of the sim, means it can be used as you mention for all sorts of programs 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Kiwi Spitfire
Senior Airman

Post by Kiwi Spitfire »

Thanks so much for the App! Checklists are our bread and butter at work, and woa-betide you if you respond incorrectly to a checklist item! - so it is really nice to have such an easily customisable voice challenge and response checklist app such as this, really adds to the realism in the multi-crew aircraft. I have gone though and changed to just one response per challenge based on the particular content and it is so easy to do. Haha you should see us trying to finalise checklist responses for the P-3...should it be set, or checked set, or on, or.... :wink:

Such a pleasent english accent to listen too for the challenges also...what are the chances of your fine self rustling up an audio package for the B-17? :lol:

Edit: I did have a question actually - how would you differentiate between two different aircrafts checklists? Would you need to append B17 on the front of all they checklist names for that aircraft?
ImageImageImageImageImage

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha | Intel i7-6700K@ 4.5Ghz O/C | G-Skill 16GB 2800MHz DDR4 RAM | Asus Strix 6GB nVidia GTX980ti | 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M2 | Phillips 32" Display | TrackIR |Win10 64bit.

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Kiwi Spitfire wrote:Thanks so much for the App! Checklists are our bread and butter at work, and woa-betide you if you respond incorrectly to a checklist item! - so it is really nice to have such an easily customisable voice challenge and response checklist app such as this, really adds to the realism in the multi-crew aircraft. I have gone though and changed to just one response per challenge based on the particular content and it is so easy to do. Haha you should see us trying to finalise checklist responses for the P-3...should it be set, or checked set, or on, or.... :wink:

Such a pleasent english accent to listen too for the challenges also...what are the chances of your fine self rustling up an audio package for the B-17? :lol:

Edit: I did have a question actually - how would you differentiate between two different aircrafts checklists? Would you need to append B17 on the front of all they checklist names for that aircraft?
Thanks for the great feedback!

New checklists would just be new files. You could copy/Paste the C172 checklist and give it a name that reflects the aircraft the checklist is for and then edit away. Once you've got the new checklist file, it's a simple case of setting the new checklist filename in the options. It's certainly not the most graceful UI approach, but it works. Once the app has restarted you should be all set with the new checklist.

I don't have the B-17, so I don't have the checklists, but if someone would write it, and you're insane enough to want to listen to me droning on, then I'd be happy to spend the time to record new audio files for it.
ImageImageImage

André
Airman First Class

Post by André »

Asking for the benefit of all "foreign" OS users. :mrgreen:

Before going ahead with the fix mentioned above I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any chance for the OS to become unstable when doing this? Since some programs etc. is installed in another language. I dread to re-install it all.

Kiwi Spitfire
Senior Airman

Post by Kiwi Spitfire »

SouthPawPaul wrote: I don't have the B-17, so I don't have the checklists, but if someone would write it, and you're insane enough to want to listen to me droning on, then I'd be happy to spend the time to record new audio files for it.
Here is a link to the B-17 manual someone has posted online - guess I must be insane lol. http://www.91stbombardmentgroup.com/Dow ... Manual.pdf

With all the time you are spending tweaking this software, and creating voice recordings of all the challenge items...when are you gonna start charging for it? :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImage

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha | Intel i7-6700K@ 4.5Ghz O/C | G-Skill 16GB 2800MHz DDR4 RAM | Asus Strix 6GB nVidia GTX980ti | 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M2 | Phillips 32" Display | TrackIR |Win10 64bit.

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

Hi Kiwi and SouthPaw,

I don't know if you have seen this work in progress for the B-17 yet: http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=37615

No progress reports lately, but he hopes to have it available sometime this month last I heard!

JP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”