ADF Question.

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Daneng
Airman Basic

ADF Question.

Post by Daneng »

How can I enter a ADF frequency ending with a decimal digit ( ex. 399,50 Khz ) into the Bendix King KR87 ADF ?
Most ADF frequncies in Europe are like this .
Many Thanks.
Dan.

torwal8
Airman First Class

Re: ADF Question.

Post by torwal8 »

I think I recall reading somewhere that you can change the frequency to a .5 in the Shift+6 menu.

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mantock »

I found a way,
If you use Plan G navigation plugin to FSX you can right click on an NDB on the map, and 'set NDB freq to NAV radio' and it will tune NDB's that have the decimal frequencies.
I explain in my video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO_5COtEbzY
ImageImage

Daneng
Airman Basic

Post by Daneng »

Thank you Torwale8 and Mantock.
Problem resolved now by adding the line AutoTuneADF=Yes in the FSUIPC.ini file .
I will try your solution as well Mantock.
Regards
Dan.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes, up coming fix will add ability to tune .5 into the 2d panel. The unit itself as with most though don't have this ability and its an FSX bug that you have to tune exactly rather than near the freq.

thanks
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

SkipperMac
Staff Sergeant

Post by SkipperMac »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Yes, up coming fix will add ability to tune .5 into the 2d panel. The unit itself as with most though don't have this ability and its an FSX bug that you have to tune exactly rather than near the freq.

thanks
Lewis
Would this be a reason to break from the real world systems? After all, the 172R does not exist outside of FSX, so could we allow a .5 tuning in the virtual cockpit? Just wondering ... maybe the 2d panel idea is better.
SkipperMac
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro Mobo | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD| Xigmatek Midgard Pure Black case | Be Quiet Dark Rock Adv CPU cooler | Windows7 64bit

pilotgod
Senior Airman

Post by pilotgod »

I prefer the 2D panel solution and leaving the ADF unit as is. This is the actual real world function of the unit, there is not an ability to tune decimals. Having the work around be available from a sim menu seems like the most logical way to strike a balance between reality and desired functionality.
System Specs:
Intel i7-2600 @ 4.3GHz, ASUS P8P67-Deluxe, 8GB DDR3-1600, ATI Radeon HD7770 (2GB), OCZ Vertex 250GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB HDD (Data)
FSX w/Acceleration and tons of add-ons.

smokeyupahead
Staff Sergeant

Post by smokeyupahead »

pilotgod wrote:I prefer the 2D panel solution and leaving the ADF unit as is. This is the actual real world function of the unit, there is not an ability to tune decimals. Having the work around be available from a sim menu seems like the most logical way to strike a balance between reality and desired functionality.
Agree, sounds like the best compromise...

David
Cheers,
David DD

Daneng
Airman Basic

Post by Daneng »

That's good news .
Thank you all.
Dan.

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Hiya,

Same "issue" is ofcourse present in the Piper.

Was wondering how this work in the realworld? If you want 388.5, do you tune 388 or 389?

Marcel

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

mgr wrote:Was wondering how this work in the realworld? If you want 388.5, do you tune 388 or 389?
Well, I don't know if there are some 'official' practices, but I'd just choose whichever works better! :) It doesn't matter. ADF receiver's 6dB bandwidth is usually around ±2 kHz or so, which, overly simplified, means that if mistuned by 2 kHz, the receiver pics up about 25 % of the signal strength it would pick up if it was precisely tuned to the frequency. If the selected frequency is off by only 0.5 kHz, its received strength is surely much higher in any sensible receiver design.

Perhaps if someone (krhm... A2A) were to simulate a proper ADF, there could be a hidden auto-tune feature that looks for FSX/P3D NDBs in range that are within about ±4 kHz of selected frequency, and would internally tune the 'proper' frequency automatically for simulation, but the offset between the actual and selected would affect the S/N used for needle dynamics. Not sure how difficult that would be though.

-Esa

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

mgr wrote:Hiya,

Same "issue" is ofcourse present in the Piper.

Was wondering how this work in the realworld? If you want 388.5, do you tune 388 or 389?

Marcel
Its old school technology so either one. Think of it like turning your fav radio station, theres a wide band that you can pick it up on you just get somewhere in that band and your listening to the station.

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

mgr
Staff Sergeant

Post by mgr »

Hiya Lewis,
Lewis - A2A wrote: Its old school technology so either one. Think of it like turning your fav radio station, theres a wide band that you can pick it up on you just get somewhere in that band and your listening to the station.
thanks,Lewis
Any change for a working ADF receiver in the C172 and piper? :roll: 8) Think you would make a lot of European users happy.

Cheers,

Marcel

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

mgr wrote:Any change for a working ADF receiver in the C172 and piper? :roll: 8) Think you would make a lot of European users happy.
Hi Marcel,

Have a look at the last 2 posts in this PPRuNe NDB frequencies thread. That pretty much sums it up.

-Rob
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”