Taxiing the Cessna 172

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
Svanen
Airman Basic

Taxiing the Cessna 172

Post by Svanen »

Hi all,

The first time when I started the A2A Cessna 172 and started taxiing I ended up on the grass next to the apron and my first thoughts was "#"!#¤"!¤%! I'm a private pilot but have never been flying the Cessna, only Piper and some DA40 (that I hate taxiing), but I was sure that taxiing the Cessna was the same as the Piper.

I thought that there was really something wrong with the plane, but today I had my first flight in real life in a Cessna 172 with a flight instructor and when taxiing and turning 90 degrees I needed to use differential braking to turn, even when lining up on the runway I needed to brake to get in to the correct position.

Great work A2A, it really felt spot on! :-)

I do have some problem with the elevator control, I did not feel the same today, sure the Cessna would almost takeoff by itself, it really wants to fly, but my settings in FSX feels too sensitive then what I experienced today, but I think that I will need to tune my settings in FSX.

On final with 65 knots, cutting power over the threshold, full flaps and a "stall" landing, there was minimal with float. In FSX when I try the same there is much more floating then what I experienced today, but perhaps I need to be more careful with the speed.

Will do some more testing, I'm sure it is my controls that are over sensitive and I need to be more careful with the speed, but I did not feel that there was so much floating today when practicing in real life.

But I was a very nice experience to fly the Cessna 172 today, I really liked it and I'm sure I will have lots of good practice with the A2A Cessna 172. I need some more technical training and a little more familiarization with the Cessna, but after that I am good to go.

As I said, great work and thanks! :-)

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Re: Taxiing the Cessna 172

Post by Mantock »

I can just imagine countless Flight instructors in the future sitting in the cockpit with 'first time' students. saying

"Now: what you have to watch out for while taxiing is....Oh...nevermind." and the first time students with a massive smile on their faces :mrgreen:
ImageImage

trucker17
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by trucker17 »

The A2A Cessna has the same handling on the ground and in the air as the real thing....A2A has done a great job with this aircraft as they do with all their aircraft....

torwal8
Airman First Class

Post by torwal8 »

Mantock wrote:I can just imagine countless Flight instructors in the future sitting in the cockpit with 'first time' students. saying

"Now: what you have to watch out for while taxiing is....Oh...nevermind." and the first time students with a massive smile on their faces :mrgreen:
I had this happen on Sunday. "Are you sure you've never done this before?" :mrgreen:

Igloo_iain
Airman

Post by Igloo_iain »

For the sensitivity problem, in the aircraft cfg file, try setting elevator effect to 1.0 instead if 2.0

The aircraft become so much more fun to fly after I done that, still responds as expected, just doesn't twitch around on the pitch axis as much.

I was finding the elevator was so effective, that if I flew inverted at 80 knots, I could push forward and do an inverted half Immelmann without any problem!

Now the aircraft is a joy to fly, I just don't have much time to fly her.

Svanen
Airman Basic

Post by Svanen »

Igloo_iain wrote:For the sensitivity problem, in the aircraft cfg file, try setting elevator effect to 1.0 instead if 2.0

The aircraft become so much more fun to fly after I done that, still responds as expected, just doesn't twitch around on the pitch axis as much.

I was finding the elevator was so effective, that if I flew inverted at 80 knots, I could push forward and do an inverted half Immelmann without any problem!

Now the aircraft is a joy to fly, I just don't have much time to fly her.
Exactly my problem, thanks I will try that! :-)

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

Changing anything in the aircraft.cfg can and will compromise many parts of the flight dynamics...

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Though it should be noted that with above 'fix' it will invalidate the entire flight model and completely mess up the stalls of the aircraft etc

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Svanen
Airman Basic

Post by Svanen »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Though it should be noted that with above 'fix' it will invalidate the entire flight model and completely mess up the stalls of the aircraft etc

thanks,
Lewis
Is there anything else I can do? I do not want the flight model to be messed up, I would just like to simulate the forces on the yoke.

As I understand that if I would pull hard on the yoke in real life I would get the similar experience as in FSX. But in the real plane there is much more force on the yoke so it is harder to do it. This is hard to simulate with a joystick and it makes it feel over sensitive.

But if I mess around with dead zone and axis sensitivity, will it also invalidate the flight model?

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

Svanen wrote:
Lewis - A2A wrote:Though it should be noted that with above 'fix' it will invalidate the entire flight model and completely mess up the stalls of the aircraft etc

thanks,
Lewis
Is there anything else I can do? I do not want the flight model to be messed up, I would just like to simulate the forces on the yoke.

As I understand that if I would pull hard on the yoke in real life I would get the similar experience as in FSX. But in the real plane there is much more force on the yoke so it is harder to do it. This is hard to simulate with a joystick and it makes it feel over sensitive.

But if I mess around with dead zone and axis sensitivity, will it also invalidate the flight model?
I simply adjust the sensitivities in FSX Controls. I have the null at zero and adjust the sensitivity so that the yoke moves linear with the yoke in the cockpit. You can also confirm the accuracy by looking at the outside view from the rear of the aircraft and watch the flight surfaces as you move the controls. I have made these adjustments for elevator, ailerons and rudder and she handles very smoothly and accurately. I am using a CH Eclipse yoke and first calibrate it using the CH Control Manager and then adjust sensitivities as already noted. My system is pretty much in my signature - no other add-on control setting software.
Hope this helps.
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

You will want to fly the FSX 172R as one does in real life. Don't yank or pull the yoke, fly her with the finger tips.

To help new users get use to the realistic flight modelling we have a great elevator scaler in the update coming soon so you can customise it to suit your own needs and to some degree that of your hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Mazo wrote:I simply adjust the sensitivities in FSX Controls.
That's not a good solution either, because that caps the the maximum deflection of the control surfaces, meaning that you won't be able to move the elevator/aileron/rudder as far as you should be able to realistically.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

Jigsaw wrote:
Mazo wrote:I simply adjust the sensitivities in FSX Controls.
That's not a good solution either, because that caps the the maximum deflection of the control surfaces, meaning that you won't be able to move the elevator/aileron/rudder as far as you should be able to realistically.
Sorry, but there is still full deflection. As I stated earlier, look at the outside view to confirm full deflection of all surfaces - it does work. You have to adjust sensitivity and then confirm linear movement of the controls. It works fine for my C172 and B17
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

No, it doesn't work, external animation of the controls in fsx is not fully synced with the motion of the yoke (it stops before the controls in the cockpit), secondly, just set your elevator sensitivity to 1 and try to move your controls, there will be no motion in this axis.

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

Caldemeyn wrote:No, it doesn't work, external animation of the controls in fsx is not fully synced with the motion of the yoke (it stops before the controls in the cockpit), secondly, just set your elevator sensitivity to 1 and try to move your controls, there will be no motion in this axis.
With all due respect, these settings work for MY system - maybe not for everyone, but they do for me. For giggles and grins, I adjusted the sensitivity to 1 as you suggested and there is indeed still full deflection in both directions, albeit sluggish, but the elevators still made their full deflection. The range of deflection is set in the CH Control Manager calibration. I am very pleased with the handling of my C172.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”