Taxiing the Cessna 172

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Re: Taxiing the Cessna 172

Post by Caldemeyn »

Hmm, strange, but if you retain full authority on the controls, then good for you :), do you have Acceleration or SP1/SP2 ?

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

Caldemeyn wrote:Hmm, strange, but if you retain full authority on the controls, then good for you :), do you have Acceleration or SP1/SP2 ?
I'm running Acceleration. It would be interesting if that makes a difference but I really have no idea if it does or not. After our last discussion, I took her up and put her through her paces, of course all within C172 safe flight specifications! :lol: Anyway, rough handling on take-off will put her nose to the sky in an instant but flying with fingertip control provides a smooth, realistic experience. At altitude, she performed as expected doing dives, turns and stalls so, in my mind, I have full authority with the flight controls. I really do love this plane but I must not say this too loud for fear my B17, P47 & P51 will bite me the next time I fly them! You know how jealous these girls can be! :twisted: :lol:

Getting to be my bedtime so this old guy is signing off for the night.
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

Jigsaw
Master Sergeant

Post by Jigsaw »

Looks like you're right. I did some testing (screenshot comparisons and rollrate tests) and with the C172 visual surface and yoke deflections, and maximum roll rate are the same at different sensitivity settings. That's good news! I based my statement on previous experiences with another aircraft where adjusting the sensitivity indeed reduced aileron authority. I don't remember which one that was, though.

I stand corrected.
Happy Landings
- Patrick

Caldemeyn
Master Sergeant

Post by Caldemeyn »

I checked, and i know what causes this different behavior, you don't have this STICK_SENSITIVITY_MODE=0 tweak, and i do, it changes the way the controls are calibrated (old method from fs2002 if i remember right), when i changed the value to 1, the full controls authority is retained, it just slows overall motion of the controls, i used this tweak to have more natural response with my yoke. 8) but i think it was a placebo effect more than anything else. :wink: i will stick with the value of 1, it gives better options for calibration. :)
Last edited by Caldemeyn on 12 Sep 2013, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

Mazo
Technical Sergeant

Post by Mazo »

Jigsaw and Caldemyn, thanks for checking and confirming that this method works. I had tried the .cfg change from 2 to 1 at one time but I knew that A2A has put a Herculean amount of research and work into the FM so I changed it back to default of 2. Then I experimented with the FSX sensitivities to correct my yoke response.

I love the way that this A2A community comes together with different systems and thought processes to ultimately assist each other to obtain the finest simulation possible. The responses from the A2A Team are always positive and never condescending, even if we must be reminded to RTFM!! :D
[*]2021 Jetline Systems GTX, [email protected], EVGA RTX 3080ti 12GB, 64GB Memory 3200MHz, Win11 64 Pro, P3DV5.3, FS2020

In memory of my fallen Brothers in Arms in Viet Nam - may they Rest in Peace.

Gabe777
Staff Sergeant

Post by Gabe777 »

Mazo wrote:
Svanen wrote:
Lewis - A2A wrote:Though it should be noted that with above 'fix' it will invalidate the entire flight model and completely mess up the stalls of the aircraft etc

thanks,
Lewis
Is there anything else I can do? I do not want the flight model to be messed up, I would just like to simulate the forces on the yoke.

As I understand that if I would pull hard on the yoke in real life I would get the similar experience as in FSX. But in the real plane there is much more force on the yoke so it is harder to do it. This is hard to simulate with a joystick and it makes it feel over sensitive.

But if I mess around with dead zone and axis sensitivity, will it also invalidate the flight model?
I simply adjust the sensitivities in FSX Controls. I have the null at zero and adjust the sensitivity so that the yoke moves linear with the yoke in the cockpit. You can also confirm the accuracy by looking at the outside view from the rear of the aircraft and watch the flight surfaces as you move the controls. I have made these adjustments for elevator, ailerons and rudder and she handles very smoothly and accurately. I am using a CH Eclipse yoke and first calibrate it using the CH Control Manager and then adjust sensitivities as already noted. My system is pretty much in my signature - no other add-on control setting software.
Hope this helps.
Hehe and lol ..... ! Bet you didn't have those specs (in my signature) in 2013 !

Just bought the 172.... interesting thread ... !
i7 7700k (4.5 GHz) / GTX 1080 8GB - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X / 32GB DDR4 2400 Hz (CL15) / Samsung EVO 970 plus M.2 nvme (1TB) / BeQuiet 650W PSU 50amps 12v rail -- (with P3Dv4, AS + ASCA / REX Texture Direct)

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”