ADF (NDB) Frequencies

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
Mantock
Staff Sergeant

ADF (NDB) Frequencies

Post by Mantock »

Hi all,

Just whondering how to tune in an ADF or NDB frequency that has a .something.

I have read the Bendix King manual but come up with nothing so far.

All the NDB frequencies that are whole numbers are fine, such as 432, 320,529 ect ect.

But all the frequencies that are something like, 214.3 261.5

Theres no way to tune in a decimal something. Anyone know why and how?

Sorry of this was covered somewhere else.
-Mantock
ImageImage

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Re: ADF (NDB) Frequencies

Post by Tigerclaw »

The manual says outer larger knob for the Mhz range, i.e. 475.0, and the inner small knob for the Khz range i.e 475.55

I'm not in the cockpit right, but that's what manual says so it must be right :)
Tony (That's all your getting, like it or lump it)

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

On the subject of the ADF, can the DME be used with the ADF?

From what I can see the DME can either use a pre-set frequency or the one from one of the NAV radios, but the preset can't be in the same range as that of the ADF. Is it like that or did I misunderstand?

Thank you.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.
5600x, 32GB ram, RX 6800XT, Windows 11.

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mantock »

As far as I can see, the larger part of the knob selects the hundreds, the smaller knob selects the ones when pushed in, and the tens when left out.
ImageImage

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Eek, I just shut down my laptop with FSX, I'll try tomorrow.

In theory there's no reason why it can't be tuned to an NDB frequency?

I'm sure that it functions in the same way as the actual DME its modelled on, I just wondered if tuning it to an NDB was too stupid idea to be possible....

But as you suggest, maybe I just got confused while trying to tune the hundreds.

It is a lovely radio stack, and yet another reason why I really like this plane. Had a bad day today though, I couldn't get it to do anything that I wanted.
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

Mantock wrote:As far as I can see, the larger part of the knob selects the hundreds, the smaller knob selects the ones when pushed in, and the tens when left out.
Sorry my bad, you are correct. I was reading the normal radios section when I wrote that post. The screen must've scrolled up when I sat up in bed. Sorry.

There was no mention of decimals at all. Maybe NDB's are all integers?

As for the DME, I've never tried putting NDB frequencies in there, but I don't think the frequencies go that high in the DME. Worth a look though I guess.

MSFS i7-7700 Kaby Lake CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Cores (Liquid cooled) Gigabyte B250M-DS3H-CF M/Board 32 Gig DDR4 Ram Nvidia GTX 1080ti 11GB GDDR 5 Win 10 Home Acer Predator XB271HU.

tbaac
Technical Sergeant

Post by tbaac »

Thinking about it, its probably a really stupid question of mine sorry.

NDBs aren't used like that if I remember rightly. The ADF shows the direction of the beacon, but there's no distance specified by it.

What I think I've done is to read something and misinterpret it. Basically the suggestion was to fly on a heading, pick up the NDB signal and follow it towards an airfield, fly away from the localizer for the runway at that airfield (to get a few miles out), turn around and follow the localizer in to landing, judging the descent rate yourself.

The DME obviously applies to the localizer. Forgive my stupidity.

edit: I believe that the premise behind this challenge is that you're out on a VFR flight, you've badly misjudged the weather, use your instruments to get down safely, but without using a GS or GPS).
ImageImageImage

MSFS, xplane 12.

Tigerclaw
Technical Sergeant

Post by Tigerclaw »

It can be done reasonably if all you have in the first instance is an NDB, I guess, The other day I used an NDB and then a VOR With DME.
I flew TO the NDB in the usual way, and upon reaching it the needle flips 180 yeah? Then you fly away from the NDB on a chosen course (you can turn the compass ring to your heading), and then TIME your travel using ground speed, to a predetermined spot where you can pick up the VOR, From there you just fly a radial to the next Navaid. All you need is the information to start with. Frequencies, ranges of signals etc. Maps, ruler, pencil.

I cheated a bit because I used the <shift>5 map. But in reality, you would have paper maps/charts or whatever, and one of those E6b's. With a compass, ruler and pencil, I'm pretty sure navigating would be reasonably attainable with a little thought.

Mantock
Staff Sergeant

Post by Mantock »

the best I have heard about ADF frequencies so far is that if you have say, 320.55 for an NDB, you can tune 320 and it will pick up anything in that small range. so technically you can get the .55 but I have not tested it yet...............Lewis????!!!! A2A, heeeellllppp!!! :P Am I barking up the right tree? Am I getting warm? :wink:
ImageImage

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by some1 - A2A »

You can't tune the fractional part of ADF frequency with the real unit either.

In the real world, you don't have to tune the radio to exact number to receive the signal, it's not only with ADF but the radio in your car/mobile/whatever too. That's why it's also more important to check the morse code of the tuned station, if it's really the one you think it is. And that's on top of all the problems with radio waves propagation that ADF is susceptible to.
In FSX it has to be tuned down to 0.1 KHz or you don't receive anything. We were thinking about replacing the FSX radio system with our own, but this is really huge task, so not sure if we ever do that.

I know that FSUIPC has a feature called "AutoTuneADF" that helps with this issue.
Michael Krawczyk

CYQG87
Airman Basic

Post by CYQG87 »

That's raises the question. How do you get to the correct frequency if its not the right .xx but you cannot tune that aspect? Obviously not a fsx problem but in RL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Neon
Technical Sergeant

Post by Neon »

The way to use it is use the larger knob to set the
left digit, the small knob to set the right digit, and press the
small knob (button in knob) to set the middle digit, and it will
work fine. :)

You can also look at radio panel, and you'll notice right on bottom
right a small 1, which is clickable to change it to 10's etc.

johnwillimas
Airman

Post by johnwillimas »

some1 - A2A wrote:I know that FSUIPC has a feature called "AutoTuneADF" that helps with this issue.
So it does! And indeed it works just fine. Add AutoTuneADF=Yes to the FSUIPC.ini file and tune your ADF to the frequency 0.5MHz below. Works perfectly and gives you the audible morse ident as well!

Many thanks for this tip - there's so much in Pete Dowson's miracle software I still haven't found a half of it....

J van E
Staff Sergeant

Post by J van E »

johnwillimas wrote:
some1 - A2A wrote:I know that FSUIPC has a feature called "AutoTuneADF" that helps with this issue.
So it does! And indeed it works just fine. Add AutoTuneADF=Yes to the FSUIPC.ini file and tune your ADF to the frequency 0.5MHz below. Works perfectly and gives you the audible morse ident as well!

Many thanks for this tip - there's so much in Pete Dowson's miracle software I still haven't found a half of it....
I suppose this only works with the full version of FSUIPC...? I don't have that one and tried to fly towards an NDB yesterday that had a freq with .5 at the end and the gauge never reacted... I read about the solution to load another plane, set the freq and switch back to the 172 but that's no solution for me.

bliksimpie
Staff Sergeant

Post by bliksimpie »

Ok guys I need more help.

For my testing purposes. I start flight at KAWO
When I load default 172 at KAWO with ADF value 396 (close to KAWO), just after takeoff, ADF needle immediately pick up signal and point to that direction. I then change ADF to 382 (close to KAWO), the needle pick up signal no problem and point in that direction. Set the ADF value back to 396.

and then I then load A2A172, it show 396 on radio panel. After takeoff it immediately pick up signal and ADF needle do it job perfectly. I then change to 382, and ADF needle then do not work.

So for me it seems that ADF work if you start off with correct frequency but once in flight and you change to another frequency, then ADF is not working.
Can anybody please test this and give me feedback or give me a slap against the head, with and explanation what I might be doing wrong that I cannot get the ADF to work after the initial setting.

I do have added the FSUIP entry to ini file as suggested. Still no working ADF on second selection of frequency

Much appreciated
Regards
JB

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”