Approach too fast with the Albatros

The Austro-Hungarian Empire's finest scout
new reply
Licancabur
Airman

Approach too fast with the Albatros

Post by Licancabur »

Hello,

In love since two years ago with your fabulous Mark1, I decided a few days ago to acquire an older aircraft less efficient but more suitable for walking over the Auvergne mountains.
I adopted the D3 Albatros. It is beautiful, very realistic, and we go back in time once onboard. Magic! 8)

I encounter a difficulty.
My approach is always too fast, I often bounce to the touch, and rolling is endless (no brakes).
I read that V Stall equal 80km/h (right?), Which gives V indicated approximately 105km/h in the final.
I reach hardly 130 minimum, with 1000 rpm or less, (sometimes throttle at minimum) even adopting the slide to increase drag and slow the plane.

What is the trick?
What rpm while approach/final: 1000 or less?

Still Bravo for this beautiful plane, and a thousand thank you!
Sorry for my english.
Best Regards,
Simon

Licancabur
Airman

Re: Approach too fast with the Albatros

Post by Licancabur »

Good Evening.
By adopting a fairly gentle slope to break the speed, I get this, 130 final, threshold 110, on an approach to Clermont Aulnat, France ...
I hope this will not displease you too.
http://youtu.be/a2KXghs11LE

Best Regards,

lucas
Staff Sergeant

Post by lucas »

Simon,
depending on the wind strenght the ASI can have different readings. So, if you have a wind blowing with the same direction as your final approach (not recommended!) the ASI will show the plane's speed + wind speed. You can check it by yourself when standing on the ground and setting some very strong wind in the FSX.
If your speed is too high, I would recommend to cross the controls a little bit: to apply rudder to the left and balance it by applying stick to the right. This side slip allows to loose the altitude gently together with reducing your speed. A 3 point landing is possible as well. The plane is fully aerobatic and we paid special attention to that.

Have fun and blue skies,
Lucas

Edit: You can also turn magnetos off during the landing to make it shorter. Not strongly suggested, but some pilots were doing so.

Licancabur
Airman

Post by Licancabur »

Hello Lucas,
Thank you very much for the trick. 8)
I will try to cross rudder and stick to increase the drag, with a little bit of pitch up to compensate...
With the Albatros which is very sensitive, and the too much little amplitude of movements of joystick, this promises to be difficult but exciting!!
Turning magnetos off, I would not have thought...
But I will for now research to obtain a good speed at final.
Cordially,

new reply

Return to “Albatros D.III (Oeffag)”