RealEngine module for Albatros (WORK IN PROGRESS)

The Austro-Hungarian Empire's finest scout
new reply
whiic
Staff Sergeant

RealEngine module for Albatros (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Post by whiic »

I'm thinking of configuring RealEngine 1.1 module to this Albatros so that engine failures due to over-revving during dives or prolonged use with full throttle would be simulated. It also allows failures due to excessive CHT and oil temperatures but I don't know if FSX keeps track of those if the plane has no temperature gauges (after all, why would FSX keep track on these temperatures when engine damage modeling in FSX is non-existent?)

There's of course the rumored RealEngine 1.2 module as well but unfortunately the SOH thread on it mentioned the creator didn't wish to publicize every version due to risk of having to do publications it every week... yet it's been over 2 years now since nonpublic 1.2, with no public version beyond 1.1. So it's kinda a bummer. Anyone got a download link for RealEngine past after the 1.1 release? They're supposed to be easier to configure because they use less separate .XMLs. If not, I'll have to work with 1.1.

Note: RealEngine is freeware, and my attempts at creating a RealEngine module for Albatros is only fan-addon, not part of the payware. I haven't yet read the license, if one was included with the module I downloaded but I'll be sure to do it before I release anything to public. If the license doesn't permit me packing everything into a .ZIP, then I'll release only the lines containing trigger values & timers to be copy-pasted into an existing RealEngine module.

I might need to some maximum allowed values not mentioned in the manual. Alternatively I could derive the maximum allowed values from "percentage of throttle opening" values: see what MP and rpm I get for opening throttle as specified, and use them for max values (after all, RealEngine does give you a window for measuring MP, even if the plane didn't have a gauge for it). The maximum allowed dive rpm for example is something I don't know nor can I derive it from given flying instructions. The fact that the rpm doesn't rise much during the dives could also implicate that the aircraft.cfg could be better configured for allowing the prop to overrev during dives (if throttle is not reduced).

Anyway, I haven't created RealEngine modules before so getting familiar with it might take some time.

EDIT: There's also "v35bdamagemod" but I'm not sure if the features would be easily portable to other planes. I also don't know if the creator would like his "freeware accusim" to be plagiated where as RealEngine was created to be reused by other devs. Anyway, I'm not sure if I'll be making a RealEngine 1.1, 1.2 or (if I need/get permission from the creator) V35damagemod. I'm just evaluating possibilities right now.

lucas
Staff Sergeant

Re: RealEngine module for Albatros (WORK IN PROGRESS)

Post by lucas »

Good luck! Sounds very interesting.
As for the systems, even if you do not have dedicated gauges in the cockpit, the FSX monitors several prameters such as CHT, oil temp, fuel pressure, etc. Mind you that the oil temp does not correspond well with the CHT. The CHT value is usually much lower than it should be. But it requires some testing.
On mudpond website (Jerry Beckwith's page dedicated to Air Wrench) there is a kind of test gauge to display many "hidden" parameters during the a-c operations.

new reply

Return to “Albatros D.III (Oeffag)”