Battle of Britain movie using Wings of Victory by Mysticpuma

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
Mysticpuma
Airman First Class

Battle of Britain movie using Wings of Victory by Mysticpuma

Post by Mysticpuma »

Ok, here goes. First Battle of Britain 2 Wings of movie, which I find quite difficult to create after being so used to the IL2 cameras.

I have to hold my hands up to being slightly lazy with this, as I could have spent another couple of weeks on a sound edit ( may still, but lets get some feedback first!), but went with an upbeat Hans Zimmer soundtrack.

The video is 800x444 widescreen format and you will need the Xvid Codec to view it, which can be downloaded here:

http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

The movie is based on one of the Interception missions found in the Instant Action menu where 501 Squadron take on Fighters and Bombers over Southampton docks.

What I really enjoyed was the enemy AI which actually played a very tactical game and I found I had to use all my skill and the Track IR 6-DoF to keep situational awareness on the bandits.

I am also quite happy with the guncamera footage in the credits.

Interested to see if this movie is as well received as the IL2 ones, cheers (and thanks for the advice guys), MP.

The film (95mb) can be downloaded here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?a3jtnggkgt9

Let me know what you think, cheers, MP.

BTW, the quality is the best I can get while keeping it under 100mb, so forgive slight softness in some shots.

It was either that or a 288mb file!

Just in-case the Mediafire version is having a bit of a turn, I've uploaded the .zip to my webspace. I don't know how fast it'll download, but it's a second option. Here's the link:

http://web.bethere.co.uk/neilpugh/Interception.zip

(Right-click and 'Save as')

Rapidshare link too:

http://rapidshare.com/files/78296803/Interception.zip

Here's a Youtube link for those of you who don't mind low image quality!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8lPmkkBFT8M

Anyway, as this thread is a sticky, I'll add the link to the Luftwaffe movie I posted further down, here's the message in that post:

"Here's the link to my latest (and last for a while) Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory movie.

The film called simply "Raid" is set on "Battle of Britain day" September 15th 1940, and has been created by flying a bomber and fighter mission for the Luftwaffe in the Quick Action/Historic in the game menu.

The action centres around a fighter pilot trying to stave off the RAF as the bombers approach their target.

There is no story as-such, it is just an intense action sequence, lasting 11-minutes, which shows large formations under heavy sustained attack, planes falling on fire and exploding, some in cockpit 6-DoF action, and finally the conclusion with the bombs striking the target. Finally during the end credits is Black and White gun camera footage from the days events.

The film is set to a stirring soundtrack, but does not include any of the in-game audio due to time constraints, which would have extended the project another couple of weeks, which I cannot spare at the moment, sorry!

So with that in mind, the video is 800x444 widescreen format and you will need the Xvid Codec to view it, which can be downloaded here:

http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

The file is a 99.5mb .zip which can be downloaded here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?cw24z2gy1rx

As always I like to hear your comments so please leave feedback.

Just so you know, (it is in the credits), this is using Patch 2.07, the Multiskin pack, and the Peliland V3.0 texture update.

I have slightly de-saturated the colour too add a slightly aged look.

Anyway, on with the show, cheers, MP."

If you want to see my other movies (not all but the pick of the bunch, they can be downloaded here:

"Not my time to die!", which I thoroughly recommend downloading the 349mb full-res. version, and would prefer you to watch, get it at Mission4today here:

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name ... ls&id=1883

There have been others such as this Hurricane ground attack I created for a museum:

http://www.mediafire.com/?0fjzejbbj5i

and another which was called 47 Heaven:

http://files.netwings.org/files/fb_vide ... Heaven.zip

Finally there is Secret Weapon over Stalingrad:

http://files.netwings.org/files/fb_vide ... ingrad.zip

These are probably my best known. All use the Xvid codec which can be downloaded in the top link, cheers, MP.
Last edited by Mysticpuma on 06 Jan 2008, 16:22, edited 3 times in total.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi MP,

As most here know I am just a simple coder and software engineer with a poor eye for the arts but I loved it. I know how hard it is to work in a strange environment and I want to thank you for looking at BOBII.

I hope you can post it at the IL2 forum for our IL2 friends to review and comment on.

You have a great talent for art and the use of the movie making tools.
Last edited by Buddye on 19 Dec 2007, 12:55, edited 2 times in total.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Goodness, there are a lot of wonderful moments in this. Love the 'gun cam footage' and the feel of the epic scale. The sequence a couple of minutes in with with the flaming Heinkel spiralling away from the large formation is splendid.

Thanks for sticking with it MP. I realise it may all be a bit different for you, but I hope you can see some of the greatness in BoBII, even if it's harder to show it off than elsewhere.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

SeaVee
BDG

Post by SeaVee »

That is the best BoB2 video I've ever seen. Truly outstanding work.

You have a special gift sir.
i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

Low_Flyer
BDG

Post by Low_Flyer »

Stunning - all the more so when you realise that the in cockpit shots had to be done 'live'. The end credit gun cam shots were a neat and well executed touch. The only thing I found to pick up on was the blurred 'peaks' on the fly by shots - is there a technical reason for this?

Fantastic film making and gunnery. 8) Some of the shots matched the music to the milisecond...I could go on and on - I'll just finish by saying it's a brilliant acheivement in such a short space of time.

I'll be watching this one again and again. Thank you very much.

Mysticpuma
Airman First Class

Post by Mysticpuma »

Low_Flyer wrote:The only thing I found to pick up on was the blurred 'peaks' on the fly by shots - is there a technical reason for this?

The blurred effect was added in After Effects using the directional blur tool, just wanted to give a 'slow-shutter' effect, to make it look like the plane was going faster, nearer the camera, which it would do using the old style film and slower shutter speeds.

If you check the more distant fly-by's there are only a couple of blur shots.

Still have a few more tricks, not sure when I'll get around to it, but I'll try a Luftwaffe sortie next.

Thanks for all the comments, and just so you know, the cockpit shots were all done after I'd edited the original, so I had to refly the mission and 'tease' the Luftwaffe into flying into the correct position to be shot down so it matched the already edited footage!

6 DoF...wow!

I'll play around with keyframing (over 15 second limit) the Alt-V camera, but the cameras are fairly limited so what you've seen is close to the edge at the moment..but I'll still look and see if I can extend the boundary a little ;)

Cheers, and please keep the ego swelling feedback coming ;)

Cheers, MP.
Last edited by Mysticpuma on 19 Dec 2007, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

:D Mysticpuma,as ever what can i say,your work is exemplary,well done.
You and Boxmike have made some classics between you . :)

I can imagine Stalkervision cringing at the sight of 109's being turned into scrap metal. :lol:
Brilliant stuff.
If you are going to do a Luftwaffe version could you incorporate lots of ground view points with bangs and crumps and flashes, :D
The sound of Merlins racing away to get airbourne would be incredible :D

Tako_Kichi
BDG & A2A

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Excellent work Mysticpuma...well done!

I used to be a College Lecturer in the UK and one of the subjects I taught was video making (albeit on Umax and VHS tape in those days, the only computer in the dept. was an Atari in the music recording studio! :shock: ) so I watched your video with a very critical eye and enjoyed every single second of it.

Considering the difficulties you faced with the limited recording capabilities in BoBII the result is truly outstanding. Keep up the good work. A++ :wink:
Larry
E8400 Core2Duo 3 Ghz, 4 Gb DDR2 PC6400 RAM, GTX460 (1 Gb), Realtek HD O/B audio, XP Pro (SP3)
Saitek X52 HOTAS, Saitek Yoke/Throttle, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TIR 5 Pro, LG 22" WS LCD, B-K Gamer

BoxMike
Senior Airman

Post by BoxMike »

:D Great show! Large screen and sound volume make it sitting in the movies.
Music took with it, even if I am a bit conservative about hollywood over Britain.

Envious about the smooth framerates, tools and apparently HW as well.
I got an itch to play and create more movies at the same time. Which I don't have :(

Worth every second that was spent with it, for maker and the audience equally. BoB2WoV and community deserve this kind of applauds.

More plz!

Best Regards,

- box

hiz
Senior Airman

Post by hiz »

Holy crap! That is truly amazing! Ten minutes and I still felt sorry when it ended...
Cptn Hasse Wind's Pilot logbook entry, test flight after engine repair, June 26th 1944:

"Engine was fine. Downed three Yak 9's".

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

Awesome in every respect - artistically, mood, some things I have not seen in BoBII movies yet, without any objective flaws! It really looks like a BoBII expert had worked on this for months!

ICDP
BDG & A2A

Post by ICDP »

Pure art Mysticpuma. The composition, the feel, the music. All added to make the best movie based on a sim I have ever seen. I just love how epic and action packed it felt.

Great work.

elephant
Airman First Class

Post by elephant »

:x :x :x
I can't download it... :cry:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Brilliant!
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

elephant wrote::x :x :x
I can't download it... :cry:
Might need to check your firewall or security settings as it seems to work great for me and others.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”