Speedlink 'Phantom Hawk' Joystick, with Vibration Feedback.

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Mickvet
Senior Airman

Speedlink 'Phantom Hawk' Joystick, with Vibration Feedback.

Post by Mickvet »

I recently got the Speedlink 'Phantom Hawk' joystick. It's a budget effort, but I'm impressed. It comes with a twisting-stick for rudder effects and a throttle on the side. It also has twelve buttons, four of them accounted for by a useful d-pad located below the hatswitch. The latter is not the most precise 8-way hat I've ever used, but the joystick, in general, is very precise and accurate and I find I'm getting kills easier. The vibration feature only works on guns in the novice flight-model, but works really well with the realistic flight-model. It gives unmistakeable advance notice of impending stalls and I think it promises to be a useful combat and flight aid for me. It's a sturdily constructed and well-finished piece of kit. I think one could do worse in the budget market.

PieceOfCake
Airman First Class

Re: Speedlink 'Phantom Hawk' Joystick, with Vibration Feedba

Post by PieceOfCake »

Is it stable? The base looks a bit small and light?
Which is why I love the Hotas Warthog = it's heavy as F and I can twist and turn it without it falling over or move.
But it has no force feedback which I miss.
I heard the Microsoft FFB2 is incredibly good with il2 CloD. Anyone tried it with BoB2?

Mickvet
Senior Airman

Post by Mickvet »

[quote="PieceOfCake"]Is it stable? The base looks a bit small and light?
Which is why I love the Hotas Warthog = it's heavy as F and I can twist and turn it without it falling over or move.
But it has no force feedback which I miss.
I heard the Microsoft FFB2 is incredibly good with il2 CloD. Anyone tried it with BoB2?[/quote]

It's heavier than it looks and I find it quite acceptable. As my left hand is never far from the throttle, it plays a role in maintaining stability, also. It's very subjective, all the same.

hellcat44
Senior Airman

Post by hellcat44 »

As sweet as the day it came out of the box in 2003!
hellcat

filtonboy
Airman

Post by filtonboy »

HC you must handle it very gently :D

I got through two of those over the years, but they were the best joystick I have ever owned.

f.b.

hellcat44
Senior Airman

Post by hellcat44 »

Hi filtonboy,,, :)

Me thinks it's your 220 voltage,,,
seriously, it would be interesting to know what model/ models you had.

I have one of the earlier if not earliest model. Just checked on e-bay, there's one like mine and
only a couple of later models in FF.
7 or 8 years ago, I picked up an early SW2 (used but in perfect working condition) for a backup just in case

You know what they say,,,,"flying a combat flight sim without FF is like having sex without a partner."
It can be done but,,,,, :|
hellcat

filtonboy
Airman

Post by filtonboy »

HC,
Having looked on e bay to refresh my memory; both mine were force feedback pro and not the precision 2. There are a few on the UK e bay site. They seem to average about £20.00.

It's probably down to playing style how long they last plus at that time my four kids (all within 6 years of each other) were also giving it full beans.

Just like two identical racing cars in a team one driver can drive all season without many faults occurring whilst the other appears to suffer all the breakdowns. Sometimes it's due to driving style.

f.b.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”