WinXP: BoB2 v2.06 Only Water Textures \ Closed Neg Response

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Drac-A2A-Simmer
Airman Basic

WinXP: BoB2 v2.06 Only Water Textures \ Closed Neg Response

Post by Drac-A2A-Simmer »

Original Subject Line: WinXP: BoB2 v2.06 & v2.10 - Ground Texture Turns to Water

Hello Team

I have started a New Year with the hope of getting BoB2-WoV up and running - I wont tell you how long I have had this game and how often I have given up.

I was going to spend the money on newer options but in the end figured out that I would this time ask for help if needed. I mean why spend money to fly something that isn't as good or has the option to play the history part of the campaign without getting in a plane even.

Sure enough I can't even get in the air without something being wrong on my end.

I am not very computer smart and my medication doesn't allow me to keep focused on a task very long but I do want to make this happen.

So with that said I know you will have a lot of questions and I will do my best to work on the answers - but please try to ask your questions in a format that a very New User to the game and computers will understand.

As a start here is what I think you need to know about my system.

Windows XP Service Pack 3, Pentinum 4 (3.0 GHz), 2GB of Ram
ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP with 512MB of Memory
Driver 8.452 dated Jan 9, 2008 and I use ATI Tray Tools (v1.7.9.1573) not Catalyst - so this works for every other game without any problems.
Yes I am using DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) per DxDiag.

I ensured I had Ground Object Density = Full - on the 'More GFX' Option Tab.

I started out with the Matrix Games v2.06 - it also defaulted to ground texture being more water than land.

Thought I would update to v2.10 & v2.10 MultiSkin and it would clear up - no it didn't.

So now I am at the mercy of the BDG and my fellow gaming friends to help me get up and running on dry land.

NOTE: I have already used Revo UnInstaller to uninstall the game and any left over registry entries and folders and reloaded - same effect all 'wet'.

To be honest I don't know what I did wrong as the basic 2.06 install didn't load correctly either.

HELP,

Earl
Last edited by Drac-A2A-Simmer on 24 Jan 2018, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Re: WinXP: BoB2 v2.06 & v2.10 - Ground Texture Turns to Wate

Post by Boreas »

Hello Earl, Hopefully installing the 2.13 release by following the instructions in the pinned topic above in the forum should fix those problems without being more demanding on your system.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

If it is 32 bit XP, with 2GB RAM, it won't be able to run 2.13.

I think 2.11 was the last one that it would manage; basically
so much stuff was tossed in, in the way of ground objects,
hi-res textures, and whatnot, that the RAM would get topped
right up to the OS, and then run out of room, as soon as things
got busy.

We had/have a procedure to enable 64bit XP to enable extended
memory addressing, and get up to 3.2GB (which so far is adequate),
but that doesn't work with 32 bit. I would set everything to very low
eye-candy, except, on those earlier releases, don't bother selecting
low quality water. I would guess you've read all the usual admonitions
on the support sub-forum, about keeping particle density low... I
forget the rest of the things that apply to XP, maybe that was all.

Beyond that, I don't have any idea about your texture problem.
I don't recall hearing of this before (though my memory isn't what
it once was...)

Drac-A2A-Simmer
Airman Basic

Thanks

Staff Sergeant - Thanks for the suggestion to try v2.13.

But as "PV" has pointed out my old WinXP system will not support v2.13 which is why I was really hoping that when I removed v2.10 and attempted it under v2.06 that everything would work out.

Was really hoping that it was the fact that I was attempting to run v2.10 under WinXP but whatever the problem is I guess it will go unanswered.

So my Brother-In-Law is talking about maybe letting me have his Win7 machine if he gets enough back in is Tax Repate for him to get a new Win10 system.

If that happens I will come back and ask about all the nice eye candy that comes with hopefully get BoB2-WoV working under Win7.

Later,

Earl

Drac-A2A-Simmer
Airman Basic

Re: WinXP: BoB2 v2.06 Only Water Textures \ Closed Neg Respo

Thanks

Staff Sergeant - Thanks for the suggestion to try v2.13.

But as "PV" has pointed out my old WinXP system will not support v2.13 which is why I was really hoping that when I removed v2.10 and attempted it under v2.06 that everything would work out.

Was really hoping that it was the fact that I was attempting to run v2.10 under WinXP but whatever the problem is I guess it will go unanswered.

So my Brother-In-Law is talking about maybe letting me have his Win7 machine if he gets enough back in is Tax Repate for him to get a new Win10 system.

If that happens I will come back and ask about all the nice eye candy that comes with hopefully get BoB2-WoV working under Win7.

Later,

Earl

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”