I'm too slow in the 109 - any tips?

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Eisenfaust
Airman

I'm too slow in the 109 - any tips?

Post by Eisenfaust »

Hi there,

I started playing air combat sims not to long ago - mostly Battle of Stalingrad and Cliffs of Dover. But since I prefer Single Player (father of young children - pause button is my friend) net research brought me to BOB2 - which is praised for having one of the greatest campaigns and ai available for flightsims. Since not even the windows 10 fall creators update fixed the problems with the OS I even installed an additional Win7 on my Desktop...

Now I'm trying to familiarize myself with my favourite plane - the Emil via IA - but wether follow your leader or turkey shoot - I can't catch my bait and I don't understand quite what I'm doing wrong...

That I can't follow a Spit in a curve is clear to me - but both the leading 109 and the escaping spit are faster in level flight and in dives...

I'm flying with complex engine managment and try to keep 2400 rpm and 1.3 ata. I handle the stick as smoothly as possible and try to keep the slipping ball in the center - anything else I could try?

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Re: I'm too slow in the 109 - any tips?

Post by Boreas »

Hi Eisenfaust, my guess is you might not be benefiting from manual propeller pitch or elevator pitch trim adjustments assigned to your joystick.

Eisenfaust
Airman

Post by Eisenfaust »

Thanks for the answer - but I'm not sure what you mean. Prop pitch i'm controlling by two buttons on the Joystick. Elevator trim by the coolie hat. In maneuver combat I trim the upwards to make recoveries from steep dives easier.

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

I was thinking maybe you were not adjusting prop pitch manually or that it might not be having any effect but it sounds as though that probably isn’t the answer. I can’t test what sort of speeds are usual at the moment as I have a driver problem but maybe another 109 pilot will be able to help.

rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Post by rogeroger »

I haven't flown the me109 in anger yet, still busy with the RAF campaign. This youtube Me 109 take-off video may help in some way, there may be something you are overlooking.

https://youtu.be/ZHgaVKEOjus
There are some other bob2 109 vids to be seen there as well.

Here are some 109 discussion threads:

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... e43cdb5998

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/v ... e43cdb5998

They may help, or you may just find them interesting as a 109 fan.

PieceOfCake
Airman First Class

Post by PieceOfCake »

Use manual propeller pitch.
That basically works as a gear in a car. Lower pitch = higher gear.
With auto it doesn't adjust very good and you will fall behind. It usually sets too high pitch and that makes you won't get as high speed.
At least it is so in the spitfire.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Eisenfaust wrote:Hi there,

I started playing air combat sims not to long ago - mostly Battle of Stalingrad and Cliffs of Dover. But since I prefer Single Player (father of young children - pause button is my friend) net research brought me to BOB2 - which is praised for having one of the greatest campaigns and ai available for flightsims. Since not even the windows 10 fall creators update fixed the problems with the OS I even installed an additional Win7 on my Desktop...

Now I'm trying to familiarize myself with my favourite plane - the Emil via IA - but wether follow your leader or turkey shoot - I can't catch my bait and I don't understand quite what I'm doing wrong...

That I can't follow a Spit in a curve is clear to me - but both the leading 109 and the escaping spit are faster in level flight and in dives...

I'm flying with complex engine managment and try to keep 2400 rpm and 1.3 ata. I handle the stick as smoothly as possible and try to keep the slipping ball in the center - anything else I could try?
Your problem might not be the power or the prop.
What happens in a dogfight is that the average pilot shoves the prop into high RPM, goes to all the MP available and starts a tail chase. This is wrong.
The 109 and the Spit are fairly close power wise. Your answer might be in how you are handling the chase.
There are basically 3 types of pursuit curves, pure, lag, and lead. You don't worry about lead until in close.
You set up initially in a lag pursuit curve. Try to pull less g than the bogey. Control closure rate by arcing (cutoff).
Use the vertical plane to control closure. Go high to decrease closure and yo yo down and inside to increase closure. Keep your drag low as you close. Don't shoot early. That's a deadly mistake. It wastes ammunition and if tracer can betray your position.
Keep in mind that a pure pursuit curve (Nose on the bogey) will eventually fly you into an overshoot in the plane of the bogey's turn so avoid that. If you get in close and can't avoid the overshoot, perform a lag roll opposite the bogey's turn and reposition. Be alert for the need to reverse if he breaks into you as you come off the lag roll.
Once in range, you go into lead pursuit to pull lead. Allow for gravity drop, lead him and fire short bursts.

There is much more but this should get you started in the right direction.

Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”