New to the board

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
TimTheEnchanter05
Airman Basic

New to the board

Post by TimTheEnchanter05 »

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to thank you all for the work you do keeping this game alive. After watching "Dunkirk" this past weekend, I got a real itch to fly a Spitfire again, and it wouldn't have happened without your help!

I was experiencing the Alt-X crash on Windows 10, but after setting up a dual boot and trying on Windows 7, I'm not having any problems.

Thanks again!

stickman
BDG

Re: New to the board

Post by stickman »

Tim,
I was experiencing the Alt-X crash on Windows 10, but after setting up a dual boot and trying on Windows 7, I'm not having any problems.
That is currently the only solution that works.

Some folks are too poor or lazy, to try and figure out how to do a dual boot.

TimTheEnchanter05
Airman Basic

Well, I may have spoken too soon. The next day, when I booted to Win7, startup ran a Chkdsk, which seemed to ruin my Win10 partition, and my Win7 partion then also failed to boot. I did some googling, and it sounds like I need to disable fast startup, and maybe secure boot to prevent the chkdsk from running. Also sounds like this may not be foolproof. Anyone else experiencing these issues with dual booting?

toast
Airman Basic

Post by toast »

Tim, if you don't mind me asking -What are you system specs? I've been thinking about trying a dual boot too. I assume you are partioning a single hd ( is it ssd?)and putting both win10 and 7 on same drive?

TimTheEnchanter05
Airman Basic

Sorry I took so long to reply; I've been away on vacation.

I was running Win10 off of my M2 SSD, and created a partition on my SATA SSD for Win7. I did the proper thing and had all drives emptied and the other drives unplugged when each version of Windows was installed. Starting in Win10 worked, switching to Win7 worked, switching back to Win10 worked, but then going back to Win7 resulted in the chkdsk running and hosing Win10. I restarted and tried to get back into Win7, but it ran chkdsk again, at which point I did some research and found that the chkdsk problem may always be a risk, and so I abandoned the dual boot path. You may have different results, so I don't want to dissuade you from going for it. In my research about the issue, I came across Fast Boot or Fast Startup or something like that, related to Win10, possibly causing the chkdsk to run. (Here's a link to a forum post I found discussing the issue: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardw ... oblem.html; you can also try searching for Win10 Win7 Dual Boot Chkdsk for more results)

Luckily, I've since freed up my old tower, so I should be able to make that a dedicated Win7 machine (read: a dedicated Battle of Britain 2 machine!) It won't be as powerful as my current machine, but it's not too much older, so it shouldn't be too far off.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”