Stall warning buzzer vs "shaking" and mirrors

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Bsmooth1234
Airman

Stall warning buzzer vs "shaking" and mirrors

Post by Bsmooth1234 »

Just wondered what most actually use. To me that stall warning buzzer is annoying, and yes I know you can turn it off. But is there any difference between the two different types of warnings? personally I would like to just shut off the stall warning buzzer, and depend on the shaking.
As far as mirrors on the RAF craft, do both the Hurri and Spit both have mirrors?
I was reading some posts here and from what I read some had to be retrofitted with automobile mirrors. I haven't seen mirrors in the sim so far, but then again, I'm still getting used to it. The 109's are constantly snekaing up behind me , and shaking them is not very easy. Also is the fuel starvation modeled in the Hurri and Spit? I thought I read somewhere that they had issues when upside down.

stickman
BDG

Re: Stall warning buzzer vs "shaking" and mirrors

Post by stickman »

As far as mirrors on the RAF craft, do both the Hurri and Spit both have mirrors?
They both have mirrors. In Options > GFX you can turn them OFF or ON. If OFF the mirror will not appear at all.
I haven't seen mirrors in the sim so far, but then again, I'm still getting used to it. The 109's are constantly sneaking up behind me , and shaking them is not very easy.
If you cannot see them, I suspect that you have them turned OFF in Options > GFX.
Many BoBII players thru the years have said "If you see a LW fighter in your mirror it is probably too late to avoid getting shot!" :P
Also is the fuel starvation modeled in the Hurri and Spit? I thought I read somewhere that they had issues when upside down.
You must be referring to the fact the Spitfire and Hurricane engines were fuel fed by the old "bowl and float" valved carburetors. Good for motor cars, bad for airplanes.
These "bowl and float" valved carburetors are simulated in BoBII for the Spit and Hurri. LW aircraft use the more modern "fuel injection".

This from the BoBII v2.13 Manual (which can be found in the Docs folder). Pertaining to this bdg text file line in the BoBII root folder:

BOB_DISABLE_ENGINE_CUTOUT=OFF

Enables/Disables the engine cutout British fighters experienced when they entered a negative G dive.
This is because in the early model Spitfires and Hurricanes gravity-fed carburetors were used instead of fuel injected systems used by the German fighters.
To avoid the engine cut out, RAF fighters had to first roll inverted before entering a dive.
This feature only works if the complex engine management is enabled in the in game GUI configuration screen.

This can also be more easily switched ON or OFF in the Options > Adv > Game, GUI screen with the No Engine Cut Out Switch:

If you red-check this ON, then the Spitfire and Hurricane will use "fuel injection" and not the realistic "bowl and float" valved carburetors.
Historical purists consider this an unacceptable CHEAT.
One guy said it was heresy! :wink:

This describes the RAF Merlin engine carburetor problem, and a solution (Miss Shilling's Orifice) better than I can:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Shilling%27s_orifice
Just wondered what most actually use. To me that stall warning buzzer is annoying, and yes I know you can turn it off. But is there any difference between the two different types of warnings? personally I would like to just shut off the stall warning buzzer, and depend on the shaking.
Well.. you will not be a heretic if you turn this annoying buzzer off.
The optional switch to turn the thing OFF was made for folks like you. :)

Ah... I work in an oil refinery as an Instrument & Electrical Mechanic.
Some years ago.. we upgraded the controls for 3 each Gas Turbine Engines that drive Electricity Generators, while supplying heat to Heat Recovery Steam Generators. (Cogenerators)
These 3 came with an ALARM! horn that would blast out whenever any of a 100+ alarms would come on. HONK! HONK! HONK! HONK! HONK! HONK! HONK! HONK!
I told the SOLAR contractors that were building this upgrade "Disconnect that damned horn, or I will! Don't need the goddamned irritating thing to tell me when the Engine goes down, or has a minor problem."
These horns still exist, but we pulled off the wires to them. :D

Aloha!

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

Hello!

With regard to Stickman's comment:
Many BoBII players thru the years have said "If you see a LW fighter in your mirror it is probably too late to avoid getting shot
- Absolutely! and may I add the following: "Small rear view mirrors like a car's, were fixed above the front windscreen in an attempt to improve the view behind.They were about the size of make-up mirrors, and if a pilot did see an attacker in it, it generally meant that he was about to be shot down." - Stephen Bungay 'The Most Dangerous Enemy' page 265.

As a cheat you could always switch to the outside view and pan around to check your 'six'.

- Fuel starvation is a must if flying for the RAF!!!!

- Although using words like 'cockpit' and 'horn' in the same sentence are of immense comedy potential (!!!), I will limit myself to saying that I fly with the stall warning disabled - the RAF fighters really do talk to the pilot with stall buffeting and I like to think that I am always aware of what I am doing with the throttle. Better leave it at that as I can feel a 'double entendre' coming on!!!

"Home and tea. For once you deserve it, well done everybody"

Bsmooth1234
Airman

Post by Bsmooth1234 »

So If the mirror didn't tell you anything, other than a case of impending doom, how the heck are you supposed to tell If someone is on your six? I also find it interesting and amusing everyone keeps quoting BOB the movie, as I keep hearing a little voice in my ear every time I'm flying along "never fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in a combat area!"
I haven't used outside views at all so far, as the cockpit view is so good. So far the best(and worst) way to shake off an attacker is to go into a spin. Problem is I usually wind up as a smoking hole in the ground. Loops seem to work, but rolls don't so far or scissors I think there called. Tight turns can work as long as you don't overdo it and wind up again in a spin.
BTW do trees actually cause a collision? If they do I should be able to outfly a 109 at treetop level, but then again I lose all my height advantage. Main thing is to shoot down bombers, the fighters just are getting in the way so to speak.
As it happens I really enjoy watching BOB the movie, even if it is hammed up a bit, its nice to see all the different variants of Spits especially.

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

Hello!

It's difficult to survive, but that's why BoB2 is so good as it recreates the experience as far as possible. The one you don't see is the one that will get you! Definitely keep listening to that 'little voice in your ear' that tells you not to fly straight and level in the combat area.

The best advice I can add is keep your head on a swivel (this is where I find that my TrackIR is invaluable) and bank into frequent turns or swing your tail using rudder to help check your blind spots. The odd 360 degree turn to check for bandits is also useful particularly if you are not actively engaged in attacking an enemy aircraft.

If spins are making you a smoking hole in the ground more than you would like, the BOB manual has this guidance on page 165:

"To recover from a spin, the control stick should be held central or pushed forwards and full opposite rudder should be applied. This should be maintained until the aircraft stops spinning and begins to build up speed in a dive. Once the aircraft has accelerated to the normal flying speed, the pilot will regain control and can raise the nose of the aircraft and continue flying."

As you will appreciate, you need sufficient height to recover from a spin.

Whilst I have 'ground collisions on' as part of my BoB2 set up, I don't have the raised forests as this is part of my compromise between frame rates and graphical quality because my PC (like me!) is a bit aged. So I cannot comment on what happens when you fly into one. However I did just fly into a line of trees and emerged unscathed. The ultimate way to see what happens when you fly into a raised forest would be to take to the air in an instant mission and see what happens - Valhalla might or might not await -either way good luck!

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Bsmooth1234,
BTW do trees actually cause a collision? If they do I should be able to outfly a 109 at treetop level, but then again I lose all my height advantage. Main thing is to shoot down bombers, the fighters just are getting in the way so to speak.
Trees do not cause collisions. They are not what I call "real" objects.

There are two types of objects in BoBII:
1. Objects that are added into the GRPBIN and GRPBIN2 folders. These two folder contain the "real" objects that will have hit boxes.
Objects with hit boxes can be damaged, and any aircraft that runs into them will suffer damage.
The objects in these folders make up the Airfields, Radars, and other Targets. Also balloons and their cables.

2. Objects in the ObjectAdds folder. All of these are not "real" objects and can be flown through. Trees and every other type of object.
Trees added in the AutoGen system for populating forests and tree lines are likewise not "real". Sorry.
There some objects at the airfields that are ObjectAdds objects that will not cause collisions. Some trucks and such.
Just beware that most all airfield objects on the field proper probably are "real" and should be avoided when taxiing about!

The old Raised Forests and Towns of BoB1 time would cause collisions. They were very ugly and very few folks liked them, so we made AutoGen to make better looking forests and tree lines.
You can turn them on, but for one fly session only. The bdg text line for this switch:

ENABLE_TOWN_AND_FOREST_RAISES=OFF # Change to 'ON' will affect one session only, IOW BoB will write 'OFF' back over it.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”