Actual experiences in BOB (The real One)

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Bsmooth1234
Airman

Actual experiences in BOB (The real One)

Post by Bsmooth1234 »

I'm new to the forum, but thought I'd share a bit of history, my mother shared with me. She was originally from Croydon and at some point also lived in Brixton as well. But as a child in 1940 she was told she had to take the train and move out because of the constant raids. She also told me about going down into the underground and she told me sometime the concussion of the bombs going off would literally shake the tiles off the walls, and people were constantly complaing abouy headaches after.
She also told me there was an airport nearby and she wasn't sure but she thought there were spits stationed there, still not sure. then later when the Battle of Britain was over and the children came back to the London area, the V1 and later V@ attacks started.
Now they were living in Brixton and during a heavy V1 Buzz bomb attack luckily they went into the underground again. This time when they came back up there house was nothing but a loose pile of bricks lying on the ground. I have a picture somewhere that she got from the archives of what was left.
I was born here after she came over in the 50's. Because of my loose ties and general interest in The battle itself and aircraft of that era. I went over to England or the UK for the 50th anniversary of The Battle of Britain and watched I think it was 3 airshows, one on the coast which was amazing and another I think at Duxford, and there was on other which I can't recall at the moment. Of course visited the museums and as much as I could in 3 weeks which along with relatives made the time fly by.
Maybe its the English blood, but sometimes I feel more pride in those english bloodlines then I do for where I was actually born. But aside from 9/11 the american people really don't know whats it actually like, and hopefully never will.
If they do ever invent a time machine, I know one place I'd want to visit.

PV
BDG

Re: Actual experiences in BOB (The real One)

Post by PV »

Great stories! There was indeed an airfield at Croydon.
If you check the Bob2 manual (a fantastic resource,
by the way, built mostly by volunteer contributions
over a decade) or the campaign in-game help, you
can find an "order of battle" list of where RAF units
were stationed when, and you'll see that at the beginning,
in July, Croydon hosted RAF 111 and the canadian RCAF 1
squadrons, flying Hurricanes, but later two spitfire squadrons
were stationed there. In the campaign, you can choose
these squadrons at the appropriate time to fly out of Croydon.

Google earth has a historical image feature, and if you
select it and set for the oldest images, looking at position
51°21'14.44" N 0°07'31.69" W will show you Croydon
airfield in the 1940s. We try within the limits of our time
and manpower to make it look as accurate as possible in
BoB2.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”