Portsmouth Naval Base

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
stickman
BDG

Portsmouth Naval Base

Post by stickman »

This is a very special place. Needs some special attention, which I have finally given it.
The reason that I did not try to recreate it before, when doing other Docks and Naval Bases, was because I did not have good maps or photos of it.
I think that I have now collected enough info to reproduce it decently as per 1940s.

For BoB1 and BoBII, this place was neglected.
- BoB1. Rowan mapped it poorly and had as little info on the buildings and infrastructure that was there as I had, until this year.
- BoBII. I think that Hurricane Hicken re-mapped it much better. Paul placed some (Ben's, new made) big warehouses and factory objects there, v2.10?
OK, better. But the objects are not good enough nowadays. HUGE hit boxes on the #123 and #124 factory objects.
A bomb laid 500 feet away from #123 huge "factory complex", or #124 "big factory" will blow it away 100% destroyed! Not good.
Only good for ObjectAdds.
I do use the #124 big factory, but very very infrequently. There are 2 of them at Luton Vauxhall, and 1 of them here at Portsmouth.
They are good objects. The hit boxes are so damned BIG, that I hesitate to use them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some research maps and photos of Portsmouth.

This 1909 map is real sweet. Shewing docks (dry docks) locks and basins. Each of which is numbered, and.. I think, these numbers represent which was built in order of history.
#1 being the 1st made, and later numbers built later, I suspect.

The Basins and Buildings are all generally laid out in a strict North-South layout.
Which I found convenient, as Ben made all of his objects to be laid out at 0 degrees or 90 degrees. Easy to ObjectAdd placements of objects. Thank you, Ben!

All of the dry docks and locks shown still exist, and I think that many of the ship repair buildings existed 31 years later in 1940.
On 12 January 1922, HMS Victory was moved into No. 2 dock at Portsmouth, the oldest dry dock in the world still in use.
No.2 dock is the on on the southeast corner of Ship Basin No.1. Oddly laid out in a SW by S orientation.

A nice LW recon photo. It mainly divides up the base into 5 areas consisting of the 4 dockyard areas and the Barracks.
Numbers in each area denote building types and dry docks.

Secondary targets are the (L, M, I) rail station and switching yards leading into the base, what apparently is a (F) submarine base on the Gosport side,
and the (C) Scwimmdock (floating dry dock).

This photo is from 1925. Not very clear, but I see some buildings that are still there today.
I see two large tug boats wharf side at the lower left. I think these are Navy Tug Boats, or what the US Navy calls Fleet Tug Boats.
Capable of "high seas" ocean going, to pull in a disabled/damaged destroyer, cruiser, or even a battle ship.. with two tugs.
Ben made a Navy Tug object, so I used two of them placed as shown here, ready to sally forth into the Channel to pull in a DIW (Dead In the Water) destroyer or collier for emergency repairs.

This photo of the northeast portion of the Base is dated 1931. The Gas Works, which was not a part of the Base, is shown.
I also see many coal heaps around the gas works. That coal maybe to fuel the gas works, and not to fuel Royal Navy ships, which by this time should all be fueled by refined petroleum Fuel Oil,
or what my refinery calls Bunker (ship) Fuel Oil, which we also sell to fuel the Power Plants in Hawai'i.
Note the floating dry dock by "The Tower". I could not reproduce it.

This photo is from 1939. Again, not very clear, but I see some buildings shown in the 1925 photo that are still there today.

I have two maps from oldmaps.com that I used also. One from 1960 that showed the entire base and one 1938 that only showed the east part. Did show the Royal Navy barracks good.

This picture did not have a date/year associated with it.
Judging by the looks of the destroyers in the (North Point) foreground and the two totally "flat" top aircraft (pre-Harrier) carriers, I am guessing 1960s.
I also used this photo for consideration when I made my decisions when placing objects.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There are 60 real objects in the I_PORTSM bin file. 43 of them are target elements.
The individual targets below are denoted with yellow dots. The pink dot denotes the first target element in the bin file, and as such is "Target Central".

Target Central is where the level bombers will always try to hit.
The target elements are very wide spread, so level bombing this place will be not be easy. However, a LW player level bombing this place can destroy many of the targets
expecting the usual level bomber overshoot. Raid paths will need be lined up in relation to Target central, to take advantage of this over shoot,
and many Raids may be needed to 80% destroy the elements, or to force into an actual Critical Damage status.

Stukas doing dive bombing will spread out and try to attack all target elements, including the Target Central.
They are best used in attacking a Target with far-flung target elements, but.. if they destroy or even damage the.. first listed, Target Central target element,
then the entire Target is considered destroyed, no Target diamond will show up, and then on subsequent dive bombing attacks, the dive bombers will say "I cannot see the Target!"
And refuse to bomb the other 15 or 40 other target elements, and go home.

This is my often mentioned "I cannot see the Target!" dive bombing BUG!
So.. dive bombers work OK, but only for a 1st Strike on a Target. Unless they miss the "Target Central" element, then they can attack again and SEE the undamaged Target Central. :roll:

-- I put two (DD) destroyers, three (T) Armed Trawlers, and two Colliers to be real ship objects here. They can be damaged or sunk.

A picture showing ObjectAdd objects included. 520 ObjectAdd objects.

Also this shows the Light AA defenses I made for this naval base.
Royal Navy bases were under the protection of AA Command (Royal Army) as per Heavy AA guns, but the Navy provided it's own Light AA guns for it's bases.
This LAA artillery consisted of naval guns, mostly 2 pounder (40mm) "Pom Pom" AA guns, in single, double, or quadruple barreled variants, and some 20mm Hispano auto cannons.
The 12 green dots are Bofors gun placementss representing the 2 pdr AA guns.
The 12 yellow dots are twin Lewis machine guns.

Some other views:

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”