Maidstone Industry Target

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
stickman
BDG

Maidstone Industry Target

Post by stickman »

(Post copied from the Beta Testers forum)

Maidstone comes from the Old English ‘mægden’ meaning a ‘maiden’ with ‘stan’ as a ‘stone, rock’; therefore, the ‘stone of the maidens’.
The Domesday Book chronicles Maidstone as Meddestane.

I continue to be fascinated with many English place names. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what the Germans thought was worth bombing in the 1930's at Maidstone.

Green dot:
A Royal Army Barracks.
Anything that houses potential enemy trained riflemen should be destroyed! Let them sleep on the wet ground under tents. Hopefully some of them will get sick.

Red dot:
His Majesty's Prison.
Bombing this place might open some walls and prison cells, letting some thieves, rapists, and murderers out into the countryside,
tying up the nearby Royal Army riflemen chasing them down before the criminals create Hell & Havoc, which they may surely do!
Not really a strategic target.

Yellow dot:
The original photo named this as "Maidstone power station".
I see no evidence of a Power Generating Plant. Maybe a Power Distribution Substation there. I see what looks like the Germans noted as Electric Transmission cables and supporting pylons going to it.

If you closely at this recon photo, the Germans have also outlined a target on the bottom left, on the Medway river's east bank.
Well.. this is the Medway Brewery.
No folk love their beer more than the Germans, except maybe the English and the Australians.
Take away their beer and the enemy will die of THIRST! :shock: :evil: Again, not what I call a strategic target.

I chose to only make the Maidstone Barracks as a Target.

Due to the rather poor given BoB1 terrain at this place, I decided to make the Royal Army Barracks the only Target here. Adapted to this aim, as well as I can with given terrain.

I did not save an "as before" picture.
Paul made Maidstone as a Target with many big warehouses and some oil tanks, for v2.10.
The yellow outline is where Paul put his Target of huge warehouses.
The red arrow lies on the closest proximity of His Majesty's Prison, pointing to the Royal Army Barracks, which appears as a gray rectangle, as I made, and relocated the Target.

--Here I posted an oldmaps.com 1938 map I managed to get before they made their maps hard to get for poor amateur historians like me. Not shown due to Copy Right.
Showed Maidstone in great detail--

xxxx

Based upon this, and given the rather substandard BoB1 terrain here, I pegged the Barracks location relative to the cross-railways of the SOUTHERN RAILWAY and the NORTH KENT LINE.

The red square denotes the closest proximity of His Majesty;s Prison, in relation the the rail roads, the River Medway, and the Maidstone Barracks.
The white line is the unmade extension of the SOUTHERN RAILWAY.
The blue line is somewhat.. the course of the (upper) River Medway.

This is the first photo that I found of the Maidstone Barracks, 2 years ago:

Later, I found this photo at Britain From Above. http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/ Without Britain From Above I could not have built most of the Targets I have done so far. Great website.
Same photo taken at the same time. Shows the Maidstone Barracks Railway Station and rail yard better.

My attempt to replicate reality, at these Royal Army Barracks:

Another photo from Britain From Above.com. Looking toward The Prison. Circa 1930's.

My representation.
Previously, someone has placed a church very well close to where there was/is one. Two blocks away from the prison. Prison having it's own Chapel to let the sinners come to God & Jesus.
Yes, there is a Maidstone ObjectAdds file in game. I don't who made it. He covered most of the north side of the city.
I placed all my OA objects for the Barracks into this maidstone OA file.

Two other views of the Maidstone Barracks:

Due to the given terrain, I have had to improperly align the Maidstone Barracks as per North to South. Beg Pardon. Had to align with given suburban terrain.
Also, I had to cover the victory gardens at the Barracks parade grounds with my cobblestone texture.
Which I have only used once, at Wissant.

These cobblestones are improper, sorry. This flat object tends to overlay and obscure other objects that are on top of it unless your view is very close to them.
Most of the tree objects do not suffer this obscuring and remain visible at all view heights.
I do not use this SCORCH object because of this problem, however, I felt the need to use 3 of them here at Maidstone, to replicate the parade ground, and obscure the house gardens.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Target has only 17 target elements.
Shown here with the target elements denoted with yellow dot.
Red dot is "Target Central". I confess.. I made target central so as to make it easier for German level bombers to bomb this place.
I know how the LW AI Campaign Command lays out Raids upon this place, and all other Targets. The LW AI will always give a Raid path to hit Maidstone from the south.
Target is rectangular, so I have to choose the "central" target as one side or one corner.
I gave a bit of advantage to the German level bombers here, knowing how they tend to overshoot the Target with the 2nd and 3rd Staffeln.

I have read that these old barracks at Maidstone were originally built during 1801 in response to the threat of Napoleon.

stickman
BDG

Re: Maidstone Industry Target

Post by stickman »

(Copied from the Beta Testers forum)

Upon further research, review, and contemplation, I have revised my thinking and plan.

In 1936 another Barracks was under construction just north of Maidstone at Invicta Park To replace the old deteriorating 1801 barracks.

An Oldmaps.com map dated 1938, shows this late 1930s construction. I have outlined in blue the barracks buildings circa 1936 or 1938.

xxxx not shown due to copyright.

This is a Google Earth map from 1939, 1940. The Invicta Barracks has grown greatly since 1936.
Blue enclosure is the first 1938 barracks buildings. The yellow line encloses the War time Expansion.

There is this LW photo. Date unknown, but I do not think it was taken in the early 1930s.
- e-e-e is the North Downs.
- a and a are Parks.
- b is Mote Park.
- c is Leeds Castle.
- d Truppenlager is the Invicta Barracks. Which looks built up more than in 1936-1938.

This photo appears to be mainly a navigation aid. Which would have been of little use in daytime after 1940.
I am guessing that Invicta was completed in 1939, and that the Germans knew about it in 1940.

There is a good place in game where I can make the new Barracks. Very close to where it should be. Only offset about 350 meters east of where it was/is.
There are three "clean" fields that do not slope too much, which will look OK for placement looks. This place I have outlined in yellow, below.

Therefore, my new plan is to make the new Barracks as the Target.
I may make both of the Barracks included in this Target, however, only Stukas will try to hit the old Barracks which now will be the secondary Target consisting of only 8 target elements.
Invicta had about 100 buildings shown in the Google photo above.
Level bombers will try to hit whatever building I designate as "Target Central".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Maidstone Barracks just prior to WWII were the home of the Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment.
One of this Regiment's mottos was Invicta (Invincible). So after they moved up to the park by Park House, the area of the new Barracks became known as Invicta Park.
Three battalions were sent with the BEF to France, 1940.

The Royal East Kent Regiment (The Buffs) had Canterbury Barracks as their home base.
During 1940 and the rest of The War, most of their Battalions were stationed in the Far Eastern Theater.
One battalion was sent with the BEF to France, 1940.

Both of these Regiments no longer exist, today.
Reduced, replaced, and reorganized with more affordable organizations.
Now.. any Kent boys (or girls?) are encouraged to join the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment.
-The Princess being Diana-
Garrison/HQ RHQ - HM Tower of London
1st Battalion - Barker Barracks, Westfalen Garrison, Germany
2nd Battalion - Dhekelia, Cyprus
3rd Battalion - Canterbury (Howe Barracks until 2015 when it closed)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Invicta Barracks is still in use by the Royal Army. Current home of the 36 Engineer Regiment. (20 Field Squadron, 69 Gurkha Field Squadron, and 70 Gurkha Field Support Squadron)
The two Field Squadrons are veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan and specialize in finding & destroying Improvised Explosive Devices.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

(copied from the BDG Beta Testers forum)

I finished building the Maidstone Invicta Park Barracks.

I only have two sources of info on what it looked like.
Primary source from Google Earth, 1939-1940. For choice of buildings to try and replicate, my only source. The photos patched together here are misaligned a bit, but I can see how much.
Note. Red arrow points to Park House, which was there long before the Royal Army showed up and made this Park into a military installation.

Secondary source from Google Earth, 1960. For reference and comparison as to layout only. A lot of things have changed in 20 years, here.

OK. This is all I need.
Moved the Campaign Target icon north a mile or so, up to the new location at the park north of town. MAINWLD edit.
Used airfield objects to make it. Made up primarily of the large wooden hut object #164. For barracks objects.
Don't know if the barracks were brick or wood here, 1940. The #164 object fits, and can be a barracks, workshop, storehouse, and all around multi-purpose.
62 target elements. All scored at the minimum strategic score of 75. 62 objects in the new I_MAIDST .BIN file.

Here is I_MAIDST .BIN file. All are target elements. These wooden hut barracks are grouped in sixes per "barracks block".
There was 10 of these "barracks blocks" as shown 1940. I made 9 of them to fit best with given terrain.

Red dot denotes "target central". It is somewhat central to the main north-south layout of barracks buildings.
Yellow dot denotes the road that was named the Sandling Road. Now renamed as Royal Engineers Road at this section.
This should be the west border of the Invicta Park Barracks. I placed my Barracks near as could, north-south-east-west to this road. Given the BoBII terrain. I am OK with this.
Note. White arrow points to a BoBII farm enclosed by trees. Ah! That could be Park House. I placed a big L-shaped English house there.
I found these 4 farm fields, and the farm, all surprisingly convenient to my needs in which to try to recreate the Invicta Park Barracks.

With all of the ObjectAdds objects, which all conveniently reside in an OA file called maidstone, which someone else made years ago.
The old 19th century Barracks by the Prison are now OA objects. Consider it all but, abandoned. I still want it replicated.

Closer overview of Invicta with all objects.

Other views:

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

:) Well done ,it is nice to see some new ideas being done.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Thank you, sir.
This is how I entertain myself.

Sent two Gruppen of Ju88s bombing at low level, spread-wing formation, from the south, which is where the LW Campaign AI always plots the approach to Maidstone.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”