Question re A2A download version of BOB2

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Re: Question re A2A download version of BOB2

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

Hello

I hope the following helps in addition to the excellent advice given in the earlier posts.

When you use the radio for a vector to base, you will be given a heading and the range. Steer into the heading and make sure that you are around 3000 feet to get a good view (certainly below any cloud). If you are in the instant action/landing mission you can avoid poor weather from the parameters menu before you enter the mission.

Cut your speed to give yourself time and fly on the heading given to you by the control tower. Regularly ask for the heading (R-5-2 for your home base or R-5-3 for your nearest tower). Take note of the range - if you are on course it will reduce. From about 5 miles out enter a very shallow dive to maximise your forward view and keep calling the Tower. Airfields are often bordered on at least one side by a row of trees and they all have buildings - hangers and other buildings. Some have concrete runways which make them easier to spot. Don't be afraid to use the external view while you are getting used to things and developing your own routine.

Above all keep on the heading given by the Tower and keep asking for the heading as this will give you the range to effectively count down the range until you are right over the airfield.

Once you find the field, you might want to circle it a few times to take in the general layout and landmarks to help you recognise airfields in the future. Then repeat until you have it sussed. Once you learn the visual clues that are general to all airfields it gets a lot easier. Trust the ground controller and employ that excellent bit of kit - the Mark 1 eyeball!

I hope you persist - you will get there! One of the joys of BOB2 is that it is a brilliant recreation of reality and the satisfaction gained when getting something right - particularly if it hasn't been easy, is very rewarding. The community of this forum is also fantastic at offering help and advice - believe me I know that from experience!
"Home and tea. For once you deserve it, well done everybody"

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Styggron,
1. I can't see the airfield in any of your pictures
2. they hardly look any different to me
Well, after I browned out the airfield grass texture, you will see a rather large brown area among all the green and light yellow fallow or recently harvested farm fields.
It makes the airfields look different from everything else around it.
I'd need to make them ridiculously out of place so I can spot it, all red or something similar.
Ach! I don't think that we need to do something so drastic by making them Hello! Kitty! pink. :wink:
Since my first shot fell short, I shall fire off another. This time I am going for a yellow grass look. I may over saturate the yellow color so it sticks out a lot.

This is one of many LIFE magazine photos taken during the war. The grass is not green, but a rather bright yellow, perhaps due to the infancy of color photography at the time,
and the season, maybe:

Tonight is my 35th wedding anniversary, and tomorrow is Election Day and I have to work. I always watch the election results on TV and get drunk, through happiness or despair!
So I cannot make anything until Wednesday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lofty, in his post just above,
Once you find the field, you might want to circle it a few times to take in the general layout and landmarks to help you recognise airfields in the future. Then repeat until you have it sussed. Once you learn the visual clues that are general to all airfields it gets a lot easier. Trust the ground controller and employ that excellent bit of kit - the Mark 1 eyeball!

Good advise. Especially about circling the airfield before landing.
The circling helps you bleed speed so you can slow down to a proper easily controlled speed before touchdown.

Off Topic NOTE!
After v2.11 and most of all the RAF airfields were slightly or majorly relocated into more historical terrain by one of our English BDG men,
I saw the need to make some corrections in how the Artificial Intelligence aircraft land on these relocated fields as to MAINWLD file coded coordinates,
because the AI aircraft were running into buildings and each other, unacceptably.
OK. I edited MAINWLD coordinates for Takeoff & Landing at all RAF fighter fields. Took me 3 to 6 try and retry edits per field to do so, and 4 months, in my spare time.
I could only do this while playing the RAF Campaign.
Also, if an airfield has a Capacity of launching and landing 3 Squadrons at the same time,
then all 3 Squadrons will not be in each others way on Takeoff, and not interfere which other on Landing, as minimally as possible.
Quite often I found it like controlling 3 big dogs in my small apartment! Some dogs being stupider than their cousins. (Poor & Novice skill AI pilots)
Needless to say, I became very verra familiar with all RAF fighter airfields. And where they are, and how they are laid out.

Anyway... I see that the AI Squadron aircraft circle the landing field 3 times, before the first wave (made up of different Flights within all the different Squadrons) lands down.
Mostly because they first get to the airfield (which is quite noticeable I must say) at 3,000 feet altitude, kind of high.
OK. Need to bleed speed down to earth.

The Player should only need to circle the landing field once if approaching the field at 1,000 feet to bleed speed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All other advise from Lofty, above, is good advise.
Thank You Lofty. :)

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Hello Stick man

Sorry, the airfields are completely invisible to me in any of your pics I cannot make any part of them out. You will need to draw a box around them else I have zero change.

So yes I would have to make it bright red, unrealistic or not it would be the only way I could ever see the damn things. :(
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

Styggron wrote:Hello Stick man

Sorry, the airfields are completely invisible to me in any of your pics I cannot make any part of them out. You will need to draw a box around them else I have zero change.

So yes I would have to make it bright red, unrealistic or not it would be the only way I could ever see the damn things. :(
Is it possible to take and post a screen shot of what you do see,i wonder if it is a settings thing.

Styggron
Master Sergeant

Post by Styggron »

Trumper wrote:
Styggron wrote:Hello Stick man

Is it possible to take and post a screen shot of what you do see,i wonder if it is a settings thing.
Hello Trumper,
It's no a settings thing. I can't even see the airfields in his screen shots. BoB2 is REALLY hard to play.
Accufeel V2, C172 , B377+L049+COTS, B17G, Piper Cub,Commanche,Cherrokee,Spitfire,Bonanza, P47,P40,both Mustangs
Aircraft Factory Avro Anson, Albatros DIII,Heinkel He-219, F4U Corsair, P51H Mustang, Avro 504, BF109
Watch my incompetent flying Twitch

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”