Happy BoB day eveyone

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
attilla
Senior Airman

Happy BoB day eveyone

Post by attilla »

Lest we not forget!!!!!
One only starts to live after seeing the Elephant.

ShadowShooter
Senior Airman

Re: Happy BoB day eveyone

Post by ShadowShooter »

Definitely, attilla!

Saw a documentary on the subject yesterday, "Fighting the Blue". I think it was made in 2005. Like everyone here I've seen many such programs, but for some reason I found this one particularly enjoyable. There were the usual interviews with veterans, and re-enactments. But the action sequences were clips from "The Battle of Britain" film, and they were edited in a very careful way that fitted in realistically and gave the whole thing a nice edge. The main focus was the role of Hugh Dowding in the BoB, and the insufficient appreciation he got for masterminding it.

One thing that surprised me was the extent of his involvement in spiritualism, even during the battle. Not a believer myself, but I can understand how it gave him comfort under the stress of sending so many young men, his "chicks" as he called them, to certain death. The program even presented him as having visions of pilots' spirits in his office! Apparently stories of this got around and became part of the ammunition his enemies in the Ministry used to get him sacked.

If anyone's interested in this side of his character, here's an article:http://www.psychicnews.org.uk/articles/ ... ed-Britain

Trumper
BDG

Re: Happy BoB day eveyone

Post by Trumper »

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”