I am keen to know your thought's......

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
zl2bmh
Airman

I am keen to know your thought's......

Post by zl2bmh »

Hello All.

I had a lot of trouble, but it can be over come with practice, with the Logitech extreme 3D pro joystick. If you did'nt concentrate the plane easily became uncontrolable. Bit like riding a bronc. :D I imagine. This stick is brand new, I also tried the one it replaced (identicle)

Today I dug out, cleaned off the cobwebs, my old Microsoft sidewinder stick. Well what a joy to fly BoB II WoV. The plane, any plane in fact, flew straight as an arrow. No trimming required, just a joy.

Why would this be? I'm very interested to know.

Regards,
Jim ZL2BMH
Computer:W10 (updated from W7), 64bit, Quad Core, Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz , 12GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 570, 24" Widescreen 1080p full HD Monitor 1920 x 1080 Res.

vramesh
Senior Airman

Re: I am keen to know your thought's......

Post by vramesh »

Dear zl2bmh,

By any chance, did you make any changes to the flight model after swapping the joystick? Did you try with Realistic or Novice?

Anyway, I'd like to believe that every joystick has its own personality. If you try it out with a different Logitech 3d pro, probably the flying experience could be different (like riding a bull maybe?). There could be many variables and parameters that affect the behaviour of a joystick and our perception of it. Here are a few that I could think of:
  • Sidewinder has Force Feedback yes? The logitech joystick that you possess doesn't. It only has springs to return it back to top dead-center upon release.
  • Sidewinder could provide superior range and finer precision than Logitech Extreme 3D pro in terms of joystick movement
  • The joystick axis calibration curves in your profiles could be different.
  • The quality of potentiometer used in the two products could be different.
  • The quality of piezoelectric crystals in the buttons could be different.
  • The quality of springs could be different.
  • How well the joystick driver handles these values from the joystick and communicates to Microsoft's Windows (and hence BoB2) could be different.
  • Could be your unconscious bias to your old favourite joystick
  • It could be a placebo effect.
  • Maybe you just got good at flying after learning it with Logitech :-)
Glad to know that you are now able to enjoy BoB2:WoV...on Windows 10 that is upgraded from Windows 7!
In fact I was planning on testing BoB2 on a Win10 (upgraded from Win 7) and was waiting for my brother's lappy to do it (he gave-in to the Win10 nagging. I still use Win 7).

--
Vasanth
Veni, vidi, velcro

I came, I saw, I stuck around...

zl2bmh
Airman

Post by zl2bmh »

Kia Ora VRamesh.

Yep, you're absolutely correct as usual. I really wasn't aware of so many elements that could account to the problem. One thing I did notice and that was standing behind the plane. With the two Logitech's the rudder's movement was very noticable while just sitting on the tarmac, yet with the old fellow (I've named Gavaskar :lol: ) there was no movement at all while the engine was just idling. So when I went down the runway with the new Logitech I was swerving badly, but with Sonny Gavaskar I went straight as.

Any thought's on this Vramesh?

Jim.
Computer:W10 (updated from W7), 64bit, Quad Core, Intel i7 920 2.67Ghz , 12GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 570, 24" Widescreen 1080p full HD Monitor 1920 x 1080 Res.

vramesh
Senior Airman

Post by vramesh »

Dear zl2bmh,

If the flight-models are the same and if you feel it could be the joysticks that could be the issue then please try the following:
  • compare the joystick profile curves for rudder axis between the straight-batted Gavaskar and the cross-batted Logitech. If you employ similar hand movements for the two joysticks, then it is better to have similar input curves (though adding some allowance would be prudent because, after all they are two different joysticks).
  • compare the deadzone, saturation and filtering values in BoB2 (Options-> Control-> Custom assignment) for these two joysticks and play around with those values until a satifactory result is obtained. Deadzone will eliminate the twitchy movements in and around the top-dead-center area. Filtering will eliminate jerkiness and smoothen the input at the cost of a slight delay in responsiveness. Saturation will control how much real-life joystick movement is necessary to achieve a full in-game control column deflection. For example, LARGE saturation would require only 3/4th full deflection in real-life to achieve full stick deflection in game whereas NONE would require a full-deflection
Please forgive my curiosity but, why play with new Logitech when you can play with Gavaskar? I sense that you derive the most fun playing BoB2 with Gavaskar :-D
He's a record-setter and is the original "little master" from India.
--
Vasanth
Veni, vidi, velcro

zl2bmh
Airman

Post by zl2bmh »

Oh VRamesh you're a gem fair dinkum.

Again, you have given me some marvellous directions and I'll attack it, I reckon you're onto it.

The reason I've tried to use Logitech is that it's came out a lot later than Gavaskar, and I thought that being the case, it would work better, but something I have learnt in this exercise is, new is not necessarily better.

Thank you so much, you've been fantastic to me and I really appreciate it.

I'd 'love' to visit your home country. My son in law visits there once every month (work related, he comes from those pesky Aussie's :x and he tellsl me how beautiful it is in India.

I was going to name Logitech (Kapil Dev) but have called it Ramesh instead :D Well my hot Korma is ready so better go.

Regards Jim (I 'love' cricket', can you tell)

vramesh
Senior Airman

Post by vramesh »

Dear zl2mbh,

You're welcome!

--
Vasanth
Veni, vidi, velcro

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”