BOB2 Joystick recommendation?

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
MrMojok
Airman

Re: BOB2 Joystick recommendation?

Post by MrMojok »

Stickman, that is quite an amazing story. Kudos to two27! I have read nothing but rave reviews about your time machine, and that is why I am here now. The only thing I ever played before that was like the BoB campaign, was this game from about 1993, "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe." In that one you could target cities and factories with raids, and jump in to any combat you wanted to. All other flightsims I've played or heard of have all been played from the cockpit. There's a lot to be said for that, and I am most assuredly going to do it but I also relish the thought of playing the whole BoB campaign on a strategic level.

I didn't mention before, but I used to have the old Rowan BoB game, maybe sometime around 2004? I regret to say I didn't give it too much of a chance; I didn't like the 3D part of the game at all and didn't play it long enough to learn the strategy in the campaign.

I have been reading the manual, reading my BoB books, and I broke my old TrackIR 4 out of a box in the garage and calibrated it. Also have a Saitek X-52 Pro. Unfortunately, the game won't be here until maybe Tuesday.

Also I already have the 2.13 patch downloaded. I am just chomping at the bit, to get at the... well... let us speak frankly here... the Hun.

PS: Earlier I meant to say "ten hours in biplanes in some cases even," not monoplanes.

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

MrMojock,

Welcome to the time machine. I play in campaign mode - single pilot does enable you to meddle in the campaign! Well done looking at the history of the Battle - it really will help you get the most from this extraordinary Sim. The guys of the Bob Development Group have worked wonders and continue to do so and are really responsive and helpful if you have any problems.

I am certain you will great great enjoyment from BoB2.
"Home and tea. For once you deserve it, well done everybody"

hellcat44
Senior Airman

Post by hellcat44 »

MrMojok wrote:Due to my desk layout I can't use rudder pedals. It will be joystick and throttle only. I would appreciate any recommendations.
welcome to the forum
a joystick without forcefeed back is like sex without a partner
the best FFB stick ever made ,,, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Sidew ... SwezVWzh83
hellcat

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

Moj,
a joystick / controller option I can fully recommend, is the Futaba Interlink RC controller. been using this, and the prev versions for some 15yrs

don't need pedals, throttle, pitch levers, or any of that other ( HOTAS imitation) bull. this has two sticks and four axes X Y Z1 Z2 plus rotaries R1 R2 R3
discovered this for combat SIMs, via default -- got the Futaba to practice RC Sims as was tired of real-time prangs, and then jus used it on flight Sims, reprogrammed some functions and whallah ! Never turned back

this thing has TOTAL and INSTANT control, waaaaaay beyond any F16 HOTAS immigration joystick / controller, with just the use of four fingers ( thumb and index fingers, on each hand. enables me to make pretty good vids ( see HAZZZIE on YT - +/- 200 vids)
look at this - this will test yah, even on an RC sim, in terms of brain-finger coordination https://youtu.be/GBm886z14jE

(years ago purchased a VERY EXPENSIVE full Thrustmaster set for Lockon (v.good sim), used it for one month, and went back to the Futaba - you can have the Thustmasters if yer pay the Fedex - that will be a small fortune, they are so heavy- all metal castings - still in it's enormous box, like new)

unfortunately, you will have to purchase the full RealFlight RC sim, in order to obtain the Futaba, which package is quite expensive, but you do also then get an RC simulator syztem ( which in itself, is absolutely mind-bogglingly outstanding, and will REALLY test your (external) flying skills and timing co ordination - as RC models are FAST)
(serious RC jokkeys, for a decade and a half, have been using these RC training Sims, in order to extend the life ( by a marginal bit ) on their $ 2000 3-D helos and ram-jets, and 3-D hovering profile fliers - a wise thing to do 'cause RC is a smashingly expensive hobby - why I only do PC sims today - saved enough to fly around the world twice abandoning RC flying)

you can see this instrument at http://www.realflight.com/products/gpmz4520.html
the instrument is fully programmable
see vid of this https://youtu.be/Scxc_svCWq8
see really cool zoom views on this as RC a/c get far away, fast (operated with a rotary button) https://youtu.be/FYOPcDpE1n8

the only other add-on I have is a Logitech Trackball, plugged in in parallel to the mouse ( they both work independently as mouses, Trackball on left, operated with left pinkie, and mouse on right, for pre flight & cockpit functions)

the Trackball use is 100% for view manipulation ( Track IR drives me insane, chukked that expensive thing in the bin after a month - finger maniputation find far more suitable and smooth )

also, Futaba is Japanese; like a Toyota or a Lexus, the actual instrument standard is waaaay beyond that Saitek CH or the others will ever achieve in a thousand years. ergonomically, this thing fits your hand and brain like kid-skin gloves and an RAF flying helmet.

it is beyond my comprehension, that the combat flight sim controller designers, have never considered a cross- breed of RC type controller design as the egonomic possibilities are endless, getting completely rid of a keyboard, etc, ; mebee it is the pseudo effect of having an F16 hotas-looking instrument in the hand, thinking one is enjoying a (false) type of masturbation, instead of something designed for purpose - computerised flight simulation, thus giving up somewhat of an edge in instant split second control neded in combat sims ( I programm the Futaba buttons for various instant views and flybys, so's never get caught from behind, terminator mode or not - btw, tip: you can use a flyby ( reorient the start view to 0 deg and 12 meters) to instantly see if an enemy is behind you, then switch back to forward view with reverse button, so's dont piss around trying to (slowly) look behind you )

this is a superb instrument - see the USB plug

btw, I find flying in a SIM, inside the cockpit only, to be incredibly boreing; sorta brain depressingly myopic; get helava peed-off looking at the same windscreen bolts etc, and do 90% of the time flying externally, so's can see the a/c, swivel the view around a bit, do the odd flyby to see who is behind you, watch the clouds, the sky, the sun, the horizon, the landsxape, the others in the flight, and the enemy via buttons on the controller; only revert to internal view jus before firing guns, to create the aiming lead off

you will see this in my vids; they are only about 5% edited and are otherwise completely live recordings as I fly https://youtu.be/uwXw_4InPJs
PV once mentioned it beyond him how these vids made; simple get a Futaba, it frees up the brain

wonder how many RAF first time jokkeys got shot down, 'cause they were stareing either at the scratches on the windscreen bolts, or the RPM dial, instead of the sky and clouds?

Logitech Trackball - place this inverted next to the Futaba, and stick it down with press-stick
this instrument also has four programmable buttons, which can be operated with a left pinkie, while the thumb and forefinger are on the 2nd stick, controlling throttle and rudder Z1 &Z2 axis
this design is 15yrs old, btw - that's why it still around

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last WLSC

MrMojok
Airman

Post by MrMojok »

Hazzie, that's wild! I seem to remember seeing someone talking about playing another flightsim with one of these RC controls. I simply cannot imagine it myself!

MrMojok
Airman

Post by MrMojok »

Hazzie, did you used to fly IL-2 online, with the same name, by chance?

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

I know that he did fly online there. Probably same name.

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

Moj - go to Hell's half Acre .......
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last WLSC

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”