I'm new and two questions

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
super_chris12435
Airman Basic

I'm new and two questions

Post by super_chris12435 »

Hi all,

I'm new here, but not new to Flight Simulations or A2A's products.

I recently downloaded the Wings of Victory 2.13 Update and so far love it!

However, I do have one major concern. On Merlin-powered aircraft such as the Spitfire or Hurricane, I can only reach a maximum RPM of 2600.

When I know, from personal experience having worked on a Merlin, that the max RPM for a Spitfire and a Hurricane is closer to 2900-3000.

Is there any way to fix that? The other thing is I was wondering if it's at all possible to use the Merlin engine sounds from 2.12?

I find they're a little closer to the actual engine sounds.

Apart from those two issues, the Battle of Britain II "Wings of Victory" team did an absolutely outstanding job!

I truly enjoy watching two large formations merge into one.

Warm regards and I hope to make many friends here!

Chris

stickman
BDG

Re: I'm new and two questions

Post by stickman »

Welcome, Chris,
I do have one major concern. On Merlin-powered aircraft such as the Spitfire or Hurricane, I can only reach a maximum RPM of 2600.

When I know, from personal experience having worked on a Merlin, that the max RPM for a Spitfire and a Hurricane is closer to 2900-3000.
At maximum fine prop pitch I can get 2970 rpm at 90% throttle.
Here I used my 2dGauges mod and made a digital readout for engine rpm. The Spitfire 3D rpm gauge I made is calibrated OK, but I need to calibrate it better.
You need to lean over to read it best true.

Is there any way to fix that?
The 2dGauges rpm indicator and the 3D gauge take information directly from the Spitfire1A (or Spitfire1B) .ACM files.
The line highlighted here, below, I think:
>SNIP
#Spitfire1A_2.10_v3 Constant Speed Prop mod
#Aircraft setup file {
Model { 2152 180 -245 8000 } # pitch alt CoG zPos
Thrustpoint { prop 0 0 -40 0 0 } # x y z pitch yaw
ENGINE { piston 1305 2600 450 30000000 # horsepower maxrpm minrpm inertia
Curves { COMM Power0 COMM Power1 SPITFIRE PowerAlt }
PropInertia { 15000000 15000000 30000000 } # ixx iyy izz
PropType { constspeed 30 65 } # minpitch maxpitch
Propeller { 165 13613 0.477 1 } # radius area ratio dir
Starter 1
MagType 1
}
<SNIP

maxrpm for Spitfires and Hurricanes are 2600.
I tried some different values like 3000 and 2700, and the rpm does change, but not in a good way for my 3D gauge reading on the high end of the scale for 3000.
The prop pitch values and the inertia values probably all interact with this maxrpm, and a lot experimentation will be needed to make good changes.
2600 may have been a best compromise value interacting with other prop and engine values.

All files in the models folder can be opened with Notepad and modified by anyone. Feel free to do so.
The other thing is I was wondering if it's at all possible to use the Merlin engine sounds from 2.12?
Here are the old v2.12 RAF engine sounds:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/81aml ... sounds.zip

All sound files need to be put into the SampleHI folder.

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

Welcome Chris. You might see lower rpm if prop pitch management is set to manual on the sim menu page but an assigned control has not yet been used to adjust to fine pitch. I've crossed with Stickman's reply and might be confusing things. But if '0' is pressed on the keyboard the rev counter should go to 30 with auto engine management switched on and the same should happen with a max throttle setting.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Chris,

Here is a prop spin Mod made by HAZZIE, that I personally use, and you may like.
He put a lot of work into this, and modifying prop spin in BoBII is not easy to do!
It is only visual textures, and does not change anything in the models folder.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dw82u ... p_Spin.zip

Use JSGME (JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler) to install it. Or to un-install it. JSGME will automatically back up the old files, and put them back if you remove a Mod.

Webz
Airman

Post by Webz »

The Hurricane mkIb and the Spitfires both feature the constant speed propellor and i can also confirm you can get the engine in the correct power RPM.
On the Hurricane MKIa with it's two pitch propellor you will struggle to keep the engine "on speed"

I've found peak performance is around the 2,700 to 2,800 range.

I would recommend mapping the prop pitch to a rotary axis if you have a HOTAS.

super_chris12435
Airman Basic

Post by super_chris12435 »

Thanks for the warm welcome and the information.

Sorry about the delay in replying. I'm tied up with work-related stuff right now.

One more question, what is the name of the external cannon sounds? I know the internal sounds are called gunrhbr.wav

Thanks again,

Chris

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Tried them all today, and I think it is trainlo1 in SampleHi folder. :?:

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”