LATEST UPDATE (2.13) Released

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
PV
BDG

Re: LATEST UPDATE (2.13) Released

Post by PV »

Multiskin is switched in bdg.txt.
If you do a search of it for multiskin, you'll find

MULTI_SKIN_MODE=ENABLE # valid modes: DISABLE, ENABLE, FX_FILES_ONLY, MS_FILES_ONLY. Only active when MultiSkin is installed

beyond the choices available there, there is also the
"multiskin lite" hack, whereby you edit the main
multiskin control files, so only one skin per plane
is loaded, but you still get individual unit number
codes. It is described via links here:

http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 48&t=23195

A note about "stutters" on a new install: I found this today while
trawling the archive for something else, a discussion by Osram
from about '06:

"Actually when the BDG took over the code to BoB, we held a poll on the number one priority and with about 33% of votes, stutter was #1. So I went into this issue. First thing was i had to find a reproducible case and I found one in the Stuka vs shipping mission and debugged. You have 3 guesses on the cause. ...

The cause is that the sim models birds (gulls to be more exact) sitting on the ships and creeking and taking off when the ship is under attack. The "creek" sound is not preloaded (aka cached) in the Rowan system and loading it took so much time that you had a hiccup. First thing I did is create debug tools, most nortable the debug:_stutter and bdg_out features.
Second was the implementation of a generic preloading system which worked by looking at old missions. Third was the smoothening code, which as one option has a simply limit a la CFS3, but also allows more complex dynamic smoothening. Along with some other details, we got the stutter so much under control that quite few people would nowadays say it is their #1 issue. "

The highlighted text means the program builds a "preload" lookup
based on files which have caused delays in previous executions.
So over time, the sim should improve its stutter performance,
getting smarter, as it were.

PieceOfCake
Airman First Class

Post by PieceOfCake »

Thanks a lot! :)
Best community ever. I love this sim.
Best WW2 combat sim out there in therms of atmosphere.
il2: CloD Team Fusion on a 2nd place under this one :)

PieceOfCake
Airman First Class

Game crashes in "more gfx options"

Post by PieceOfCake »

I did a re-install of the game.
After uninstalling it I removed everything from battle of britain 2 in the registry.
I installed it on a SSD disk, so I can't defragment the disk (will destroy it).

I runned it once normally to see if everything worked. I could go into the "more gfx" tab and it worked.
But when I copy pasted my 2dGauges, Keyboard and bdg.txt file it crashed when I tried to go into the "more gfx" tab.

You know why this crash occurs? Is some files in 2.13 not compatible?

PieceOfCake
Airman First Class

Post by PieceOfCake »

Btw, I did a reinstall, and set up all controls over again. took me one hour lol.
But I have no stutters what so ever now. even when I load up the Battle of britain day instant action.

I installed 2.06 version, then the 2.13 with multiskin enabled. No stutters and games runs smooth as silk!

Love your sim! :D

tipsypo
Senior Airman

Post by tipsypo »

hey

Just come back into the forum to check up on what has been happening since, seen the new versions out, downloaded to see the Release Notes and noticed I'm mentioned in there :mrgreen: although was the Hurricane used by S/Lt Jimmie Gardner that had these markings not S/Lt Dickie Cork, at least according to the book that I found the image in. :wink:
Added to 242 Squadron Blue 3 Hurricane with 'England Expects' in flag signals as flown by S/Lt Dickie Cork as suggested by Tipsypo.
Although I could not see in the Release Notes there been any work on the robot-esque motions that formations turn and change speed in? As I've always considered formation flying exciting though in BoB was among the very few disappoints in the simulation.
In the RAF they say an landing's ok, when the pilot gets out and can still walk away.
But in the FAA the prospect is grim, when the landings piss-poor and the pilot can't swim.
Cracking show, I'm Alive, But I've still got to render my A25!

mppd
Airman Basic

Post by mppd »

I also just downloaded the 2.13 patch and applied it to a fresh virgin install. Once I selected my stick/throttle/rudder pedals - no issues whatsoever. I am still running Windows XP on an older machine, but have the max 3Gb RAM and the best Nvidea card that the machine would handle. Have not actually checked numeric frame rates, but what I see looks great. Now to tweak the details up a bit and see what we get. Thanks again for all the hard work. I truly appreciate it for a flight sim subject that has always been close to my heart.

Mike D.

Hunterbear
Airman Basic

Post by Hunterbear »

This is awesome how you all continue to persevere to make a great sim even better! Congratulations!
:)

rrao56
Airman Basic

Post by rrao56 »

Hi all,
Just rediscovered the game after many years.
Have reloaded onto my new Windows 10 desktop with two NVidia 1070 SLI cards.
Uploaded the 2.13 patch...great job folks :D
Program loads smoothly.
Only problem is : when ending a flying mission, it crashes every time I press Alt-X with the error message that people have reported before.
Any solutions found?
Will try reducing ground objects and report back.

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

Hello.
There are issues relating to Windows 10 (I am a windows 7 user). I suggest you have a look at the technical support thread for more information.
Hope you find it helpful and that you're able to enjoy this fantastic Sim.
"Home and tea. For once you deserve it, well done everybody"

sunitapr
Airman Basic

Post by sunitapr »

Thanks for sharing the link. i hope this update will work.

Vox
Airman

Post by Vox »

Let us know how you make out with win 10. Good or bad . Any Detail you details can provide may help work toward a solution. Crashing after "Alt-x" out of single mission and campaign seems to be the common tread linking the problem , suggestioning to me failure to unload data and release memory going from 3D to 2D.

Eisenfaust
Airman

Post by Eisenfaust »

Pressing Alt-X most times leads to an "English text error"-CTD - I can get lucky when I just did a 1on1 traing flight that didn't go to low to the ground. But after a campaign mission CTD on Alt-X is certain for me.

In a longer campaign mission said CTD can also occur without alt-x.

I tried windowed mode in which I could end a short flight with not much action securely with alt-x without ctd - but since the 3d picture size for windowed mode seems to be fixed at 800x600 I didn't intensify tests and performed no stress tests (long complex mission ending with landing the aircraft)

Vox
Airman

Post by Vox »

I seem to remember that "english text error " is generally assoc with BOB CTD sometimes. I don' t think it means anything specific about the crash.? I got this message years ago on BOB earlier versions and XP.

It seems BOB2 runs under 10, atfor a time for most players and it may even appear at first to work ok then something seem to fault.? CTD Flying near ground doesn't surprise me The higher ground object density would draw resources . Also areas with lots of air activity should too. When we "Alt-X" there is a lot of info being collected and moved while going from 3D to 2D. Windows resolution also change. On my win 7 system there is a sight pause-then i'm back to 2D ok - Has anyone reported the CTD problem while running the campaign in 2D only for a while under 10?? Crash logs should help point to the source or at least eliminate some possiblites.

33lima3
Senior Airman

Post by 33lima3 »

Can't add anything new here, except to wonder if anyone with Win 10 and BoB2 has tried it in version 1903 of Windows 10, which was being gradually rolled out to users in place of 1803 from around May this year? I don't see anything at all in descriptions like this...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... rsion-1903

...of what the new release of Win 10 does that might have the slightest chance of help with BoB2, but 'hope springs enternal...'
SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4481941/1
CombatAce Mission Reports: https://combatace.com/forums/forum/307-mission-reports/

manashttu
Airman Basic

Post by manashttu »

I just discovered BoBII, and am amazed by the sim and the modding community. The alt-x bug has been an issue, though, as I am running Windows 10 rev 1903. Had problem on 2.04 (install disc) all the way through 2.13.

I have experimented with ReShade versions to see if it might resolve the issue. I don't usually use any of the effects, but ReShade version 3.1.0 made NASCAR Racing 2003 run more smoothly and reliably, so I installed it into BoBII. When setting it up, I didn't download any effects or shaders, just had Reshade generate a new d3d9.dll in the BoB directory.

Here are my findings after brief experimentation. So long as I open the ReShade config menu at least once while in actual gameplay (it doesn't activate in menus)---I have yet to have a crash to desktop at alt-x.

Interested to learn if others' experimentation might find the same.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”