Looking at purchasing BOB2

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Nigelhj
Airman

Looking at purchasing BOB2

Post by Nigelhj »

Having seen videos of BOB2 on you tube I am now seriously thinking of purchasing it but firstly I would like to know once installed do I only have to install the update V2.12 or will I have to install previous versions?

I do not have internet connection at home and therefore have to rely on the public library 2 or 3 days a week for internet access so does BOB2 require activation after or before installation?

Will not be back on the internet until Saturday so if anyone can help or advise I would be grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

Nigel.

arquillos
Staff Sergeant

Re: Looking at purchasing BOB2

Post by arquillos »

Hi Nigelhj,
Buy the BoBII Cd and install it.
Download the v2.12 patch and Multiskin v2.11 patch and install both of them.

And just enjoy this great sim.!!!

v2.12 patch is the only one you need to update the Cd version to the latest one.

BoBII doesn´t require internet connection to play it. Also it doesn´t need
activation procedures. The game just ask for the original CD.

Nigelhj
Airman

Post by Nigelhj »

Hi arquillos

Many thanks for your quick reply. Will do as you suggest and purchase BOB2 sometime next week. Although I have FSX and enjoy it I have recently been looking for something more challenging rather than flying from A to B all the time and it seems as though I have found it!

Again, many thanks.

Regards
Nigel.

Cherkassov54
Staff Sergeant

Post by Cherkassov54 »

Hi Nigelhj
you didnt mention what Windows you are running, BOB2 unfortunately doesnt work with W8.1 and has issues at present with W10. Works great with W7.
Just a heads up.

S!

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Also, the patches are large, so if you are downloading
from a public computer, you'll need to write to a disc,
(err, I guess a thumb drive, these days...)
about 500MB or more for the patch and the multiskin.
Last edited by PV on 23 Oct 2015, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.

attilla
Senior Airman

Post by attilla »

Hi Nigelhj

I admire your persistence in becomming a BoB2 addict :wink:
If you really have such problems downloading the patch files and won't be able to do it, just say it. I'll be glad to send you the files in physical format so you can admire and love the work of so many to honour the deeds of so few, as Churchill would have said 8)
One only starts to live after seeing the Elephant.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Also, once you install the v2.12 patch, you no longer need the CD to run the game.

Nigelhj
Airman

Post by Nigelhj »

Finally back at the library. Many thanks for all your replies help and offers of assistance, it never ceases to amaze me how close members of Forums are. I have membership to other Forums and found that like here, members are only too willing to offer their help and assistance so that one can enjoy the hard work members who have contributed significantly in making flight simulation a more enjoyable experience i.e. add-ons etc so very many thanks once again.

Cherkassov54, sorry forgot to mention that. Running Win7 64bit and have an i5 with GTX760 Nvidia Card and 8Gb RAM. (Computer was originally an i3 but upgraded a few times to get reasonable performance for fsx)!

attilla, very many thanks for your offer of help which is greatly appreciated. Since these patch files are quite large I will be able to download the programme and patch files from the computer shop I use as when I last went to visit him I mentioned that I was going to buy this product and he very kindly offered me use of one of his computers to download so hopefully next week when he has an available connection I will purchase and download onto disc.

stickman, many thanks for the HU, always a bit of a pain having to rely on a disc to start a programme as often after a lot of use they become somewhat worn as did my old cd from FS2004!

Just one further question. as I will be downloading this programme do I still need to update to the v2.12 patch or is that included in the download version?

Without wanting to bore you all I have for some time been looking around for a good Battle of Britain combat flight sim and even thought about buying the old version by MS but now extremly pleased that I came across BOB2 and also learning that so many have contributed to it through improvements and updates.

I have always been interested in that period and of the pilots and aircraft (have read many books written by former BOB pilots such as John Kent and Geoffrey Wellum to mention a few which gives a great insight into how they thought and fought during those days when we stood alone). During the 1970's I was fortunate when helping out at an airshow to be introduced to Robert Stanford-Tuck who was visiting that day. After being introduced I just stood there listening as others spoke to him and regretably never asked the questions I would have liked to. Still, it was very enjoyable meeting him.

Anyway, even though BOB2 is a simulation I still wonder how long I will survive an aerial combat or even if I will score a hit.

Will let you know.

Kind regards
Nigel.

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Hi, sounds like your machine will be well suited to running BoB2
in style. The purchased download is v2.06, the last patch level
issued by A2A. We (the Battle of Britain Developers' Group, BDG),
are maybe a month or so away from issuing patch v2.13 (we've
been trying to get it out since the summer, but being a small
group of part time volunteers, time is rarely something we have much
control of). The BDG have an arrangement with A2A where we
hot rod their sim, and they let us use their forum. But A2A only charge
for the last version they officially released, our subsequent patches
must be downloaded separately.

attilla
Senior Airman

Post by attilla »

No need to thank Nigelhj.
Best of luck with your new «mistress». I advise you to employ hit and run tactics in the beginning in order to survive. Don't be greedy or you'll be shot down.

Nigelhj
Airman

Post by Nigelhj »

Many thanks for your replies and the enthusiasm shown in your posts suggest that this is an awesome simulation. (I won't say game).

attilla, this was one question I meant to ask so will have to keep my head turning and now really pleased I have Track IR!

As there also appears to be a lot to read and learn before using the sim it may be at least a week before I am able to give you all a report on my progress.

Kind regards
Nigel.

attilla
Senior Airman

Post by attilla »

Track-IR is not really necessary to fight, but it adds a lot of immersion. I use it everyday without exception

PS if you have a wife/girlfriend don´t play with Track-IR in front of her: she will think you're nuts :mrgreen:

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”