Windows 10 success

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
Fishbreath
Airman

Re: Windows 10 success

Post by Fishbreath »

I'm running into similar crashes, mitigated somewhat by reducing graphics settings. I load in fine, and can usually fly and fight for a little bit, but big missions, or missions with a lot of things going on, crash me pretty quickly.

I'm away from my desktop right now, but my crash logs follow a very similar pattern—CMIGApp::Run() at the bottom of the stack, Direct3DCreate9Ex somewhere in the middle, and an error 0xE (14, out of memory, according to Winerror.h) after RtlEnterCriticalSection(). I haven't had the chance to watch memory usage while playing the game to see if there's some odd interaction with Win10 that causes a lot to be allocated or prevents some things from being freed, but that's a task for tonight.

Slightly longer-term, I signed up for source code access a year or two ago to look into the 2D-3D discrepancy that was largely fixed with 2.13 (brilliant work, guys), and since I have Windows 10 and can easily reproduce some of the Windows 10 crashes, perhaps I'll PM one of the project leads and see if I can work on figuring out what exactly is going on.

chrisreb
Airman

Post by chrisreb »

Shame as looks like cannot play this anymore under Win 10 The only game that gave a real feeling for the B of B with massed enemy making you take a deep breath before engaging.

Buzz73
Airman

Post by Buzz73 »

After some tweaking, I got it to run well on my Win10 Home 64-bit PC. Here's what is working the best for me so far after upgrading from v2.00 to v.2.13...

Bob.exe customisation:
1. Run as Administrator
2. Win XP SP3 compatibility mode
(Instant Action menus and videos wouldn't run under Win 7 compatibility mode for me.)
(Alt-X doesn't crash for me under WinXPSP3 mode. It does crash for me under Win7 mode.)
3. Disable display scaling on high DPI settings (Disabling this eliminated many CTDs for me.)

In-game customisation:
4. Use Desktop Resolution: Off
5. 3D Resolution: set to normal desktop resolution (in my case, !1920x1080x32@60!)***
6. Campaign Resolution: set to normal desktop resolution (in my case, 1920x1080x32@60) *** If 3D Res & Campaign Res differ from each other, I get a CTD when running Instant Action.
7. Lower all graphics to low or medium (Alt-X will then work)
8. Anistropic set to 2x

I am still tweaking to see how high I can set graphics. I'll let everyone know what I find out.
Acer Aspire AT3-710 UR52
Windoze 10 Home 64-bit
Intel i5 6400
8 GB RAM
Intel HD 530 integrated

chrisreb
Airman

Post by chrisreb »

Thank you _ I will give this another go

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Thanks for your time trying to make it work, and the helpful info. :)

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

So did those settings work for you? Were you able to increase the graphics at all?
--------
Edit: I tried them, no success. Very frustrating. I have a geforce 960m card.

chrisreb
Airman

Post by chrisreb »

Nothing worked for me either sadly even on my new PC

Buzz73
Airman

Post by Buzz73 »

So far, I haven't increased the settings. I recently upgraded to an nVidia Geforce GTX 1050Ti 4 GB, from the integrated Intel video. It's still running without flaws, so I've kept my settings as-is. Just haven't had a lot of time to tweak it lately.

33lima3
Senior Airman

Post by 33lima3 »

Re-opening an old thread here, but a question for Buzz3 (or anyone else using his settings for Win 10, posted here and on the CloD Steam forum) - have the posted settings proved stable?

I've just started trying them, having already got to the position the only regular problem I had left was the Alt+X CTD. So far the CTDs seem to have stopped, returning intermittently only after I started somewhat prematurely cranking up the in-game settings to see which if any I could push higher.

Other threads here and there seemed to imply a reliable solution or workaround for the Win 10 Alt+X CTD was still elusive, but it seems to have gone quiet - n'k if that indicates everyone is playing away happily, still trying unsuccessfully, or has given up and moved on to pastures new? On the latter front, WoTR remains untried by me at least and does not so far appear likely to satisfy my BoB itch, having high system specs but really tiny raids, UFO 110s (these two apparently improved somewhat in a new patch), very wide bomber formations, lots of repetitive skins outside the player's unit, no ground control to speak of, and limited R/T traffic (what there is typically along the lines of 'Attacking ENEMY target!', as opposed to a friendly one presumably, or simply 'Attacking NOW!', all the sort of stuff BoB2 pretty well nailed.
SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4481941/1
CombatAce Mission Reports: https://combatace.com/forums/forum/307-mission-reports/

33lima3
Senior Airman

Post by 33lima3 »

As described here...

https://combatace.com/forums/topic/9275 ... ent-749953

...I got as far as being able to play instant action missions, including the intense historical ones, with a CTD only on exiting (the Alt+X, ntdll.dll exception crash) and that less than half the time. And in the RAF campaign, so far able to fly many missions with an occasional in-mission CTD and an Alt+X one about every time. By picking up the autosaves before every takeover to fly, and adding some of my own, I can load the saved campaign at the point of the CTD and thus fly the campaign missions I choose.

However, it's a bit of a pain so I've got an inexpensive (but legit) copy of Win 7 on order and will put it onto a cheap 120GB SSD so I can dual boot from separate drives via the BIOS, as described in CountMike's post here: https://www.tenforums.com/installation- ... 2-hds.html Prefer to do this than use a partition.
SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4481941/1
CombatAce Mission Reports: https://combatace.com/forums/forum/307-mission-reports/

33lima3
Senior Airman

Post by 33lima3 »

Just winding this one to report that after all the usual fun of getting everything working after a clean O/S install, about £50 has got me a second 120GB SSD plus the cables it needed, a legit copy of Win 7, now running BoB 2 apparently flawlessly. Well worth the investment. Am now experimenting with EasyBCD to see if I can get the dual boot menu working despite the separate drives so I don't have to use the UEFI/BIOS to decide which to boot from.

Now I can settle down to running both instant actions and campaign missions CTD-free - very well worth the modest investment, as I now have much the best sim of the Battle, and in its 2.13 form surely one of the best sims ever, running as it should.

Mickvet
Senior Airman

Post by Mickvet »

[quote="33lima3"]Just winding this one to report that after all the usual fun of getting everything working after a clean O/S install, about £50 has got me a second 120GB SSD plus the cables it needed, a legit copy of Win 7, now running BoB 2 apparently flawlessly. Well worth the investment. Am now experimenting with EasyBCD to see if I can get the dual boot menu working despite the separate drives so I don't have to use the UEFI/BIOS to decide which to boot from.

Now I can settle down to running both instant actions and campaign missions CTD-free - very well worth the modest investment, as I now have much the best sim of the Battle, and in its 2.13 form surely one of the best sims ever, running as it should.[/quote]

One could easily fritter away a lot more than that on a night out in a pub and have little more to show for it than an intense headache. Whereas, this promises the opportunity of years of entertainment.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”