Computer specification

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
paulbanjo
Airman Basic

Computer specification

Post by paulbanjo »

Hi Guys,
Sorry, you must have been asked this a million times, but I have not been able to use BOB11 for the last few years as my computer uses a chip set. I'm going to replace it and wan't sufficient spec etc to run the latest version. Would I be able to run it with the following spec? :-
Intel core I5,
Nvidia Geforce 840M,VRAM,2 GB
2.9 GHz
HD 1TB
Model MSI GP70 2PE 17.3-inch Notebook (Intel Core i5-4210H 2.9GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDSM, LAN, WLAN, Windows 8.1)
Many thanks
Paul Banjo (UK)

ShadowShooter
Senior Airman

Re: Computer specification

Post by ShadowShooter »

Hi Paul

Sorry about the delay in replying.
The simple answer to your question is no, because BoBII doesn't work properly (if at all) in Windows 8. No one has been able to find a solution to this problem, and that's not likely ever to happen now with Win8 soon to be replaced by Windows 10 anyway.

Since Microsoft are claiming that it will combine the "best features" of Win7 and Win8, there is hope that BoBII will work in Windows 10. But that is by no means a certainty. So, if you want to play BoBII on your new notebook, my advice is to buy one that offers a customization deal where they will install Windows 7 on it. Microsoft say their upcoming free Win10 release is going to work on Win7 as well as Win8, so if it turns out that BoBII and W10 are compatible, you will be able to do that update at a later time if you decide you want to, skipping win8 entirely.

Regarding graphics card specs, which can be pretty bewildering, here is a good article on the Notebook Check website that lists all the recent
(last couple of years) gaming graphics cards for laptops in order of power with links to articles describing their individual features and performances in detail:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison ... 130.0.html
[The ones ending in "sli" or "crossfire" refer to special set-ups where two graphics cards are linked to work together.]
The "Games Benchmarks" sections of the individual articles might be of most use to you, showing the cards' frames per second while running a wide variety of recent games at option settings ranging from low to ultra high. BoBII isn't listed, but there are games tested covering similar ground, such as war games and flight sims. That should give you a rough idea of how the cards might go with this game.

And always look up reviews of the notebooks themselves. You need to consider what level of performance you would be happy with, or could afford.

I hope this is helpful to you. :)

paulbanjo
Airman Basic

Re: Computer specification

Post by paulbanjo »

Hello Shadow,
Many thanks for the detailed reply,hadn't realised the Win 7 problems.
Will take your advice and check out the links you've kindly supplied and I really appreciate your help.
Kind regards and thanks again.
Paul :D

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”