BATTLE OF BRITAIN - HISTORIC DATES

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

BATTLE OF BRITAIN - HISTORIC DATES

Post by HAZZIE »

Today 18 August 2015 is the 75th anniversary of the 'Hardest Day' of the Battle in the Air

18th August 1940
RAF scramble No 1 at 12:45
The British followed the main raids and were aware of all the approaching aircraft, save for the low-altitude 9 Staffel. The radar station near Dover began reporting a build-up over the Pas-de-Calais area. This activity increased until 12:45 when six separate concentrations were reported. The plotters estimated the strength of the force as 350 aircraft, one-third more than the actual size.

At RAF Uxbridge, AOC No. 11 Group RAF Keith Park and his controllers directed No. 501 Squadron RAF and its 12 Hawker Hurricanes, already in the air, to Canterbury at 20,000 feet. They had been on their way back to RAF Gravesend having spent most of the morning on patrol operating from RAF Hawkinge near Folkestone. Within minutes eight more Squadrons were dispatched to meet them; two from Kenley, two from Biggin Hill and one each from North Weald, Martlesham, Heath, Manston and Rochford.

Within a short time the fighters assigned to engage were all airborne. Five Squadrons; No. 17, No. 54, No. 56, No. 65, and 501 with 17 Supermarine Spitfires and 36 Hurricanes were moving to patrol the Canterbury-Margate line to block any attack on the Thames Estuary ports of the airfields to the north of it. Four Squadrons; No. 32, No. 64, No. 601, and No. 615, with 23 Spitfires and 27 Hurricanes went into position above Kenley and Biggin Hill. A total of 97 RAF fighters were to meet the attack.

Park did not send all of his forces aloft, and he held a reserve. Three Squadrons at RAF Tangmere were kept and made ready to meet more attacks from the south. Six more were in reserve to meet a possible follow-up to the coming raid.

RAF scramble No 2 at 13:59
Poling radar station picked up the German formations and reported them as 80-strong. Smaller forces ranging from 9 to 20-plus represented the German fighters moving up behind it. The British estimated the Luftwaffe attack force to be 150-aircraft strong. It was an underestimation by half. No. 10 Group RAF and No. 11 Group alerted their units from their operations rooms at Uxbridge and Box in Wiltshire. No. 10 and 11 Groups dispatched more Squadrons to support the already airborne 11 Hurricanes from No. 601 Squadron. 10 Group dispatched one Squadron each from RAF Middle Wallop, RAF Exeter and RAF Warmwell, and one each from No. 11's RAF Tangmere and RAF Westhampnett. The RAF order of battle included; nine Hurricanes of No. 43 Squadron RAF, led by Squadron Leader Frank Reginald Carey patrolling Thorney Island; No. 602 Squadron RAF protected Westhampnett with 12 Spitfires; No. 152 Squadron RAF and 11 Spitfires patrolled Portsmouth air space; No. 234 Squadron RAF with 11 Spitfires over the Isles of Wight to engage the attackers; No. 213 Squadron RAF with 12 Hurricanes which were to move 80 miles eastward from Exeter and patrol St. Catherine's Point. Finally, No. 609 Squadron RAF and 12 Spitfires remained in reserve around Middle Wallop to meet any unexpected German moves.

Having lost all of its Bristol Blenheim night fighters in the raid of 16 August, Tangmere dispatched two Hurricanes from the Fighter Interception Unit (FIU) fitted with FIU airborne radar to test the device in action. RAF Coastal Command also joined in, and committed No. 235 Squadron RAF and its Bristol Blenheim's. The defence was reliant on the 68 Spitfires and Hurricanes. The numerical standing meant a ratio of one RAF fighter to every four German fighters and bombers, or in other words, one British aircraft to every two German fighters. Even had the fighter controllers realised the strength of the raid, there was little that could be done. Other fighters were refuelling and rearming after the attacks on Kenley and Biggin Hill and would not be available.

During the British scramble, Bf 109s from JG 52 which were part of a pre-raid sweep, chanced upon RAF fighters out in the open at RAF Manston. Twelve Bf 109s from 2 Staffel II./JG 52, led by Hauptmann Wolfgang Ewald attacked while the British fighters were refuelling. After two passes, the Germans claimed 10 fighters and three Blenheims destroyed. In fact, just two No. 266 Squadron RAF Spitfires were destroyed with another six Hurricanes damaged but repairable. A single Hurricane was also destroyed.

Overclaiming and Propaganda
Overclaiming of aerial victories was not uncommon, and both sides claimed more aircraft shot down than was the case. For the 18 August action, British propaganda claimed 144 German aircraft destroyed, which was over twice the actual figure. In response, the Germans claimed they had only lost 36, a figure which has since been proven to be half the actual figure (69 to 71). The German propaganda elements claimed to have destroyed 147 British aircraft, which was over twice the actual figure. Again, the British admitted to losing only 23, when the actual figure was around 68. Other sources between them insist the RAF's losses were 27–34 fighters destroyed, and 29 aircraft destroyed on the ground, including only eight fighters.

One German fighter pilot stated that losses were always under reported. Siegfried Bethke pointed out that the German High Command always misled the public about losses. According to him, German aircraft that crashed into the Channel were not counted in the official figures although the loss of the aircraft was total. One aircraft in his unit that was damaged by 88 hits and had to be broken up and taken back to Germany. Bethke intimates it was not added to the loss record.

RAF LOSSES..............................................LUFWAFFE LOSSES
27–34 fighters destroyed.........................69–71 aircraft destroyed
39 fighters damaged............................... 31 aircraft damaged
10 killed.................................................. 94 killed..... 40 captured
19 wounded............................................ 25 wounded
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hardest_Day

Battle of Britain flypast 18 august 2015: 18 Spitfires and six Hurricanes will fly over south east England from Biggin Hill to mark the "Hardest Day"
http://www.cityam.com/222521/battle-bri ... st-england

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last WLSC

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Re: BATTLE OF BRITAIN - HISTORIC DATES

Post by HAZZIE »

a short vid made of clips from today's 'Hardest Day' news clips

( hving a problem uploading a vid to youtube - will sor it out )

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

15 SEPTEMBER 2015 - 75 YEARS - BATTLE OF BRITAIN DAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG_pO9LoBCE
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34250794

The largest grouping of Spitfires and Hurricanes in flight since the War itself

On Sunday, 15 September 1940, the Luftwaffe launched its largest and most concentrated attack against London in the hope of drawing out the RAF into a battle of annihilation. Around 1,500 aircraft took part in the air battles which lasted until dusk.

The action was the climax of the Battle of Britain.

RAF Fighter Command defeated the German raids. The Luftwaffe formations were dispersed by a large cloud base and failed to inflict severe damage on the city of London.

In the aftermath of the raid, Hitler postponed Operation Sea Lion. Having been defeated in daylight, the Luftwaffe turned its attention to The Blitz night campaign which lasted until May 1941.

Trump - see if you can find some good footage - I battled to find as most is on News - media sites, not YouTube
Was there much action around Duxford?

When I see all these working planes, pilots and the huge backup and wherewithall balls and effort they got in order to operate, mechanics, manufactured spares, funding, premises etc, I realize that the whole hoo-ha over the Hunter prang, and immediate pronouncements on banning everything from aerobatics to airshows is nothing but fukin politicians doing "the right thing" ( to quote Cameron, 1789 times this year ) telling the hobbits what they think they want to know, about further false (unobtainable, BS actually) measures to their little 100% risk-free lives, while the clouds gather at Calais, yet again.

Betcha they wound their necks in over this commemoration. Not a peep in the media. Winston will have done a few more rolls.

how bad is this poster - the graphics artists have profiled Hellcats, not spits & huris......

two27
Master Sergeant

Post by two27 »

Here are a couple reference books for losses.

Royal Air Force Fighter Command Losses of the Second World War, Volume 1, Operational Losses: Aircraft and Crews 1939-1941, by Norman L R Franks

Battle Over Britain, by Francis K Mason

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

On the 100th Anniversary the Luftwaffe should be invited to fly all their friendly aircraft over Britain in large formations.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

Ha ha! Now that's what I call a sideways abstract concept of note!

Appropriate - for either side? Dunno.

Wud the Brits even have an Air Force in 25 yr time? Dunno.

However, for the 98.786493% of Brits, today, let alon in 25 yrs time, they wuddent even know what the event is for, when considering the poster above.

Bit like 'what the hell is this column with a one-armed man on top wearing a funny triangular hat with pigeons sh*ting on him' doing in Trafalgar Square? Like the pigeons, nobody seems to give a sh*t, let alone a thought.

Other than the four massive black lions surrounding ( an urbane embellishment ) I found this edifice ( which is very high) and the place surrounded by embassies and a few other 3-D representations including Mandela, Smuts and Ghandi ( whome spent 25 yrs in SA) a well as Churchill ( who was captured by the Boers, then escaped) to be reverently disquietening in considering the past.

Have a feeing you Americans have a greater desire to keep your history alive, than most of us other Nations.

Another disquietening place - spooky as all hell

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

50 yrs ago, at the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month, Ian Smith, ex Spitfire pilot and famous resistance leader of the partisans, and previously committed soldier of The Crown, declared his country's severance from the Crown derecognising thr Queen and promulgated the Unilateral Declaration of Independence (UDI) ; this due to the dishonesty and immoral behavior of Her Majesty's governement in disregarding the care of duty in conducting colonial policy and abandonment of the benefit of (all) the Crown's colonial subjects.

A very sad day indeed; and a dark blot on the history of Great Britain. I remember this sad day, clearly, when the Union Jack was lowered for the last time, at our school after the broadcast speech by Ian Smith. GSTQ was never to be sung again.

RIP all those whom died in the Matabelie War 1895, Boer War 1899-1901, WWI, WWII, Malaya 1950, Korea 1952, Egypt 1955, where they died for the Crown, and the War for Civilization 1965-1980 where they died for the rule of law and against Her Majesty's corrupt and immoral government, and various African genocidal despots, whom were supported by them, as well as entertained by the Queen to protect her commonwealth ego status.
(the genocidal despots threatened to dismantle the commonwealth, and the Queen had a hernia)

To this end, the British Special Air Service was complicit with Smith In refusing orders to infiltrate and or invade, at the potential threat of deposing the immoral British government itself, if they did not wind their necks in, which they did in terms of abandoning any thought of invasion - bit different to the Flaklands , eh?
the SAS wernt to acceed to fighting kith & kin SAS, comrades in arms with whom they had fought & died aginst Nazism , for some immoral government behest?
I understand to this day from then, the Brit gov't treats the SAS with kit gloves. And so they should. Bit of a different slant on 'checks & balances' - cops, MI5 & 6, ARMY (what's left of it) GCHQ will all be subservient to Hereford; and every GEO will understand their peril. Ask Lord Ashcroft.

Had a conversation in nDebele with Zimbawean ex pat refugees last night at resturant down the road ( entire restaurant is run by these Black guys & girls )
Every one of them has A levels - every one of them has fleed from povery and genocide - every one of them agreed with me, I think honestly

RAR - Malaya, finest African troops that ever fought and died for the Crown.

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

ODE TO AN ERK

Ain't feelin' quite so good today, I'm even off me beer!
Altho' they've given me 10 days leave, I still feel kinda queer,
I've had a nasty shock you see, I've lost my biggest chum,
It happened just a week ago, and better men don't come.

My pal's a famous fighter ace, DSO and DFC,
His score of Jerry buses had just reached twenty-three.
Squadron Leader Brand, the finest bloke I've met,
Him and me was really pals, that makes you smile I bet.

Him a proper English gent, public school and Oxford Blue
And me a common Cockney bloke, just an AC2.
A Spitfire fighter pilot and his rigger, that was us
The bloke who did the scrapping and me what did his bus.

A "fighting team" he said we were, altho' he'd got three rings.
"Jimmy you're all right," he said, altho' he'd got the wings.
"You're the bloke that I depend on when I'm up there in a fight,
I can't shoot 'em down unless you fix my Spitfire right."

He was always kind and thoughtful, when my missus had a kid,
He sent a wire, a bunch of flowers, as well as fifteen quid.
I told him I was grateful, said I'd make it up to him,
He gave a crooked smile and said, "You owe me nothing Jim."

I've got a pair of silver Wings, two medals on my chest,
My name's been in the papers, there's promotion and the rest.
I've got twenty-three swastikas painted on my petrol tank
For all these things it's blokes like you I've really got to thank."

The day he'd been to see the King to get his DSO
They 'ad a lovely party, all 'is friends and the CO.
But 'e got away for just a while to buy us drinks all round,
"You can't win medals in the sky with dud blokes on the ground."

"Killer" Brand they called him, the pilot of no Wing,
What a name to give a bloke who'd never harm a thing,
Except when he was chasing Huns; Blimey then he'd fight!
You see he'd lost his sister when Jerry came one night.

The girls were crazy after him, they chased him near and far,
Made his life a misery, just like a movie star.
Wouldn't have no truck with 'em, perhaps they thought him dumb,
If they did, he didn't worry, his best girl was his Mum.

A week ago last Monday, I won't forget that day,
It was cold wet and dreary, all the sky was grey.
They took off them twelve Spitfires on an early morning sweep,
Just like a hundred other days, I waved and said "God keep".

I couldn't seem to settle down the time they was away,
I seemed to have a feeling this was going to be his day.
I waited on the airfield 'til I sighted them - and then,
One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.

I quickly checked them over, but his crate it wasn't there.
I asked the other pilots if they'd seen him bail and where?
They'd seen him crashing down in flames, "Tony's gone we fear."
I ain't feeling quite so good today - I'm even off me beer!

December 1941, after a Rhubarb, - author unknown

ground crew
Spit /Hurri Erks;
Per aircraft;
1 × fitter - aero engine mechanic
1 x rigger - reponsible for the airframe and transparents

both per aircraft and pooled ground crews; dependant on personnel resources
2 x armourer
1× 'fairy' (instrument & radio mechanic )

in 1940, the most pressurised and continiously occupied were the armourers ; they continiuosly were setting the 303 rounds into the belts , including when the pilots were awaiting a scramble or out on sortie.
The reason; it took x 2 to fill a single ammo belt which took 15 minutes (every round @ 3 sec ea. ave, x 300 per belt had to be exactly aligned with a rubber mallet on the points to prevent jamming) x 8 No belts = 2 hours per A/C - an they diddnt have the time between sorties in August 1940, to do this - so filled spare belts continously.

There no apps for this sort of very important thing in WoV, in terms of squadron readiness ; ie: too many sorties = run out of ammo, and time , which wud very definitely have been an issue, esp on squadrons short of or with pooled armourers - the loss of A/C wud have eased this type of situation, allowing better readiness; interesting logistical dynamics;

Shud do a spreadsheet on this, with varying Nos of armourers, No of sorties, A/C losses , numbers of spare belts required, and daily ammo supply requirement. Betcha there wud be some surprises.
Battles are won in the instant, more importantly in logistics rather than the action; ref Battle Alemein - Monty only incepted the battle when he was assured the 8th Army was x 4 the size as well as supply backup, than that of Rommel, whom had his fuel supply buggered by that thorn, Malta.

Why it presently so important to destroy 100% ISIS oil industry, unlike the attitude of the U.S., which is to leave this alone, and deny that $80 mil p/m is being traded by these guys thru their so-called NATO ally, Turkey - then get all upset when Russia starts doing this important job. Must be complete imbiciles running their show.

The Zulus beat an entire Brit army, as the Brits ran out of ammo ( Quartermasters cuddent open the very secure ammo boxes in time, which were made as such to prevent pilfering)

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

am pleased to inform WoV forum....... that those imbeciles at Thames Media have stopped choking on their scotches, and have made available the World at War series on YouTube, something I have campaigned for directly with them over some years, pointing out their fiscal and moral folly in subscribing to previously preventing this

Her Finest Hour..........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goiqWk9YBAE
hosted by Sir Laurence Kerr Olivier, Baron Olivier of Brighton, OM, Kt, the finest actor of all time

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Righteous!
I fondly remember watching that program (The World at War) with my father back in the 1970's
Thanks for letting me know.I'll be watching this again.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

attilla
Senior Airman

Post by attilla »

Hell!

I did bought the DVD collection ten years ago! :wink:
One only starts to live after seeing the Elephant.

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

Me too !
cost a thousand bucks

Although I copied the series from TV on a dinosauric VCR in about '82 - still ghott those tapes - terrible playback quality, t'was back then, and what a mission to record

but the quality of the content pervades, regardless

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”