UPDATE (2.11) available - note 2.12 now supercedes this

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
Osram
BDG & A2A

Re: BOBII BDG_2.11 Update Released

Post by Osram »

philip.ed wrote:@Bader, you said there'd be a fix for low-res mirrors from some ATI cards, but my mirrors in the spit and Hurri are still low-res... :?
What do you mean by "low res"?
The fix fixes the low colour resolution.
Still, on purpose, a lot of objects are not displayed in the mirror. The framerate is often limited simply by the number of objects drawn. If you would draw all objects in the mirror, it could halve the framerate !
And is there just one key to assign to engine startup? Like in Il-2...? ;)
AFAIK, no. But in the bdg.txt there is a parameter "ENGINE_ALWAYS_RUNNING".

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

Well, my mirror seems to be really low-res...I'd like to see a picture of how it should look to compare to; maybe I'm too used to Il-2 :?

:D

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Here is the install procedure that I always recommend and used for years. I also always follow the link in the self-install and try to update my directX 9c (it will tell you if no update is required).

Each Step is Important (do not skip any steps but number 7 is optional).

1. download the 2.11 self installer (just in case the first was bad/corrupted.
2. Uninstall old version or BoBII
3. Delete all files from the BoBII folder (leave none). [IMPORTANT: These old files left by the uninstaller can cause issues with the new EXE.]
4. Run a registry cleaner (like CC cleaner - a free program that I have used for years) as you had an old install of BobII (Very Important)
5. Reinstall BoBII game CD or Download version (base program files)
6. Run (execute) the 2.11 the self- installers (only 2.11)
7. Optional - Download and run (execute) the 2.11 MultiSkin self-installer
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

Everything else seems fine though, so IMO it's not really worth the effort...

But it's all food for thought so thankyou ;)

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

philip.ed wrote:Well, my mirror seems to be really low-res...I'd like to see a picture of how it should look to compare to; maybe I'm too used to Il-2 :?

:D
philip.ed
Here is 2 pics of the rear mirror views of the 2.11 update.In the previous updates,all you could see in the rear mirrors was streaky horizontal colours,
no objects,due to the low res,i suppose you can see the difference between your mirror now(if you have the low res view)and the new updated mirror view.
Hope this helps.

you live and learn,and die and forget.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

Hello Marine, thanks for that m8 I really appreciate it ;) I just checked my mirror in game and it matches that, so there is no problem here chaps, sorry 8)

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

numanoid wrote:
ENABLE_AUTO_GEN=ON
TEMP_AG_SN[15,2]=1192
TEMP_AG_SN[15,3]=62

# AutoGen TreeLine stuff (experimental):
TEMP_AGTL_SN[0]=1192
TEMP_AGTL_SN[1]=63
TEMP_AGTL_SN[2]=62
Can you tell us what the difference in the 2 bold lines are for autogen? Can we do 15,3 in both of them?
No, there is only one "15,3" slot. It would make no sense to have several as, as Bader said, it would simply overlay items.

Helmut_AUT
Senior Airman

Post by Helmut_AUT »

On the subject of manual engine management... I searched but came up empty: Is there a way to disable the "tooltips" appearing when mouse is over a knob, lever or instrument? It's a bit distracting when manipulating the 3d pit... but I couldn't find a BDG.txt parameter for it.

Could I replace the text entries for tool tips with a blank?

Bucic
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bucic »

When spreading the word on other forums I took an opportunity to present BoB 2 WoV in a proper manner. Here's the result http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=55318

I also decided to install BoB 2 again so I though 'why not record it?' and here it is - a simple BoB 2 2.11 installation tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw7Cpv2zorw&fmt=22

I hope I didn't do anything stupid there :)

If I find some time later I will prepare a similar 'getting started' tutorial on how to get started with the game (buy, register to the A2A simulations forums, download updates). So todays tutorial should go after the 'getting started tutorial'. Then tutorial 3 - first startup and basic configuration. 4 could be on hardware (graphics drivers) configuration and some basics of BDG.TXT.

Of course no promises.
ULTIMATE FEATURES SUMUP!
Tutorials http://tinyurl.com/4thtx5c
Installation | User Interface | Starting a dynamic Single Pilot Campaign | Takeoff | Free Flight | Inkscape | more!

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Nicely done there, Bucic!

Thank you.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

Bucic
Technical Sergeant

Post by Bucic »

My pleasure.
ULTIMATE FEATURES SUMUP!
Tutorials http://tinyurl.com/4thtx5c
Installation | User Interface | Starting a dynamic Single Pilot Campaign | Takeoff | Free Flight | Inkscape | more!

Jotapi
Airman Basic

Post by Jotapi »

Hello, :D

The configuration of my old computer is the following:
1 processor AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2,4 GHz
1,5 Gb RAM
1 Nvidia Gforce FX 5600 XT with 256 Mb memory

Please, I would like to ask what would be the best suitable update and multiskin that should be installed for this old configuration? :roll:

Yours sincerely,

Jean

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi Jotapi,

Welcome to BOBII and the BOBII forum and community.

Your PC is old and and will not be able to run BOBII except with options on low which is not good or fun, IMHO.

BOBII requires a single core processor in the the 3.0 to 4.0 GHz range to run on medium settings and it will still bogg down in the missions with many A/C in the air (both the campaign and the Instant Action missions).

You also do not have the Video Card for BOBII.

I am sorry but an upgrade may not be the best option. You might want a new dual or quad core PC with a good video card that has 500 MB of memory.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Jotapi
Airman Basic

Post by Jotapi »

Buddye wrote:Hi Jotapi,

Welcome to BOBII and the BOBII forum and community.

Your PC is old and and will not be able to run BOBII except with options on low which is not good or fun, IMHO.

BOBII requires a single core processor in the the 3.0 to 4.0 GHz range to run on medium settings and it will still bogg down in the missions with many A/C in the air (both the campaign and the Instant Action missions).

You also do not have the Video Card for BOBII.

I am sorry but an upgrade may not be the best option. You might want a new dual or quad core PC with a good video card that has 500 MB of memory.

Hello,

Thanks you for your answer

Do you mean that the game with upgrades previous to the 2.11 update will not run on my computer?

Yours sincerely,

Jean

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

The video card will not run Multi Skin so you could leave it off (not install it).

Your PC may then run BOBII at low settings but I am not sure it will run the big air battles (many A/C in the air).

You might be able to run 2.06 on medium setting.

Sorry for the bad news but BOBII past up your PC many years ago.
Buddye

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”