New Bob2 Missions: Battle of France

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
heinkill
BDG

New Bob2 Missions: Battle of France

Post by heinkill »

BATTLE OF FRANCE FOR BOBII

40 mission Instant Action mission set for Luftwaffe and RAF players! With bonus Operation Sealion mission.

Self installer and uninstaller; http://www.box.net/shared/02gt6g99lk (2MB)

UPDATED FOR PATCH 2.11 2 JULY 2010.

(Or, you can get the full Battle of France and 150 other bonus missions in the Whirlybird mission megapack:

http://www.box.net/shared/8tejc25h04 )

Before the Battle of Britain, there was the Battle of France. For the Luftwaffe, it was the culmination of the Blitzkrieg and designed to secure the European mainland for the Reich. For the RAF, it was a terrifying initiation into the realities of modern air warfare.

The RAF participation in the Battle of France lasted less than a month. In that time the British suffered losses of 959 aircraft (477 fighters). The battle cost the Luftwaffe 28% of its front line strength, some 1,428 aircraft destroyed (1,129 to enemy action, 299 in accidents). Nevertheless it was judged a spectacular success for the German air-arm.

The BoF Mission Package features 20 missions, playable from both the Luftwaffe or RAF side, ie 40 missions in total. Missions are located on the France map in BOBII, and the scenario takes its timeline from the first full day of Luftwaffe attacks on British airfields in France on 11 May 1940, until the evacuation of British troops from Dunkirk on 4 June 1940.

INSTALLING

Download and unpack the ZIP file. You will see a file INSTALL BOF for BOBII. This will install the files needed for you to access the new features through your Instant Action menu.

If you want to return to your default version 2.10 Battle of Britain period installation, just run the RESTORE BOBII file.

That is all there is to it. You can swap back and forth between BOB and BOF using these two files, and they will not effect your configuration (BDG) files or other in-game/joystick settings.

For those who enjoy Battle of France, further mission packs are available here:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... le_of.html

TECH NOTES

New features

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brand new External Spitfire model (Thank you Simon)
-animated pilot
-remapped skins to allow contrasting underside colours
-undercarriage down indicator in upper wing surface
-animated flap down actuator and cover when flaps deployed
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brand new external Bf110 model and updated internal model (Thank you Simon)
-animated crew
-hydraulic pressure- ailerons droop when flaps applied
-Internal gunsight raised, working compass in right cockpit
-Canopy opening animation corrected and improved

Multiskin updates
Five new Spitfire skins featuring period Night/White undersides.
Five new Bf110 skins and accurate unit/aircraft ID markings.
Hurricanes/Bf109s feature period schemes.

More town and city templates added by Ben. These can now be placed in-game.

Updated advice on Autogen Trees.

We have realised that a dormant Treeline feature, implemented by Osram a while ago, works well for treelines. Expect more on trees in future updates.

New settings. The Autogen settings are the same as in the 2.10 release. (Reduce the numbers in bold to lower density settings to improve fps)
Change these settings in your bdg.txt (paste them in if they are not there)

# AutoGen stuff (experimental):
ENABLE_AUTO_GEN=ON
TEMP_AG_SN[15,2]=1192
TEMP_AG_SN[15,3]=62

# AutoGen TreeLine stuff (experimental):
TEMP_AGTL_SN[0]=1192
TEMP_AGTL_SN[1]=63
TEMP_AGTL_SN[2]=62

BOBII 2.11 Changes by Buddye

1. Fixed a small bug that caused a CTD when a fighter is going after a bomber to check and see that the attacking fighter is RAF (LUF fighters do not go after Bombers). Thanks to Baza.
2. Fixed a bug by separating the code for Multi AI attacking an AI so that the Bdg.txt parameter Max_Number_AI_Targeting_AI is more effective.
3. Tried to fix a very intermittent problem of AI A/C sticking their wing into the ground when doing a AUTO_LANDING.
4. Fixed the FOV_JIB01 Key (Shift+F8) so it will both zoom in and zoom out.
5. Fixed the FOV so returning from the Map the FOV will reset to “Initial Field of View” which players can define in Options->Adv
6. Corrected the rate of fire for the Browning 303 on the Spit and Hurri. I corrected the bullet load out for the Spit to 300 bullets per gun. I corrected the bullet load out for the Hurri to 334 bullets per gun. The change was brought about by players posts on the General Forum. Our thanks to the BOBII community.
7. Increased the percent of maneuver SLASHINGATTACK to try and reduce the number of attacks on Bombers from the rear.
8. Fixed/prevented a CTD in AutoLanding thanks to Chumleigh.

GAMEPLAY

This mission set is guaranteed compatible with the new Update 2.11 to BOBII, and has not been tested on earlier versions.

When installed it will replace the default mission set, or other installed mission sets, but a RESTORE feature is being included in the package which will automatically return your BOBII game to default 2.10 settings so that you can easily switch back and forth between Battle of Britain and Battle of France.

Historically accurate skins require the BOBII Multiskin Mod, freely available from A2A website, as a separate download for PCs with 512MB graphic card or higher.

Missions can be played from either the RAF or Luftwaffe side, but are generally scripted to be played from the RAF side.

Those which are scripted to be played from the Luftwaffe side are clearly marked with a '+' before the mission name e.g. '+Nacke Pain.'

KNOWN ISSUES

Players may wish to adjust the flak configuration in their BDG.txt file to say ‘DO YOU WANT FLAK OVER FRANCE = OFF.’ If you don’t do this, flak will still target RAF aircraft over France at higher altitudes.

This mission package changes some of the objects located in France and Britain. If you choose to play the standard BOBII campaign with Battle of France installed, you will see these objects out of context. Campaign players are recommended to use the RESTORE program to reset BOBII to the Battle of Britain period objects, before playing their campaigns.

Installing this package will also delete your training missions to make room for the new Battle of France Missions. There is not room in the code for both.

RAF units may occasionally appear in the Luftwaffe order of battle menu, as will some non flyable units, but this does not mean they will fly for the wrong country in the actual mission! This occurs for gameplay purposes and was necessary for creation of some missions.

Ships and ground objects at Calais and Dunkirk, and in the Sealion mission, are non destructable - they are for scenery only and will not explode or damage.

The waypoints in the map screen will always end at an airfield in Britain for the RAF, they cannot be reset to an airfield in France. Pilots who want to land at a French airfield after their missions will need to navigate manually.

Pilots who wish to maintain an element of suprise for the Operation Sealion Mission are advised to use Tangmere as a home base if they wish to complete their Dunkirk missions by returning to England.

HELP

Technical help and gameplay advice is readily available at the BOB Developers Group BOBII forums at a2asimulations.com

We hope you get many hours enjoyment from this package!

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

Models by Simon
Skins by Bader
Multiskin by Redband, Bader
Missions by Whirlybird, using the Beta Mission Editor from Fred
Code fixes by Buddye
Beta testing by Bader, Borton, Stan and Baza
Last edited by heinkill on 14 Sep 2011, 15:49, edited 6 times in total.
Looking for BOB missions, campaigns, and historical resources?

http://bobgamehub.blogspot.com

Toonsis
Technical Sergeant

Re: NOW AVAILABLE! Battle of France for BOBII

Post by Toonsis »

Whoo ahh for that RAF gun rate fix, now I will need something new to complain about

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Ok, here we are gents. Whilst fixing this, I have taken the opportunity to fix the base skins for the correct period for any non-Multiskin users.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fixes for Battle of France Installation
31st June 2010

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
These updates will make the Battle of France update compatible with BoBII 2.11.
* HERE-> http://www.a2asimulations.com/bob_dev/P ... .11Fix.rar (13M) <-HERE (Base package fix)
* AND
* HERE-> http://www.a2asimulations.com/bob_dev/P ... kinFix.rar (2M) <-HERE (For Multiskin users)
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

To Install.

Apply these small patches *after* you have installed the Battle of France update.
Unpack them into your Battle of Britain II folder. You will be asked if you wish to overwrite existing files. Confirm this.

To Uninstall:

Do not use the uninstall function in the Battle of France update any more- simply reapply the main 2.11 installer package (and then reapply the 2.11 Multiskin update).

Note1: For Multiskin users. You will note that the BOF missions (they are all named BOF) have a default unit set on each side.
If you retain the suggested unit you will have historically accurate skins. You can select other units, but for the 109 you may get some post BoF schemes.

Note2: This updates the Battle of France package to use a 2.11 exe so has the latest fixes and updates.

I know how people hate pics, ;) so here are a couple of the new models and skins.

Last edited by Bader on 31 May 2010, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

Bader.
Nice pics those.
Just one thing i would like to ask you,is it possible to have the wheels turning on the aircraft when it has landed,not as i know much about whether it can be done or not,
but seeing the propeller does turn ,wondering if it could be done for the wheels as well,it would certainly be more authentic?
At the moment when the spit has landed,if you look at the wheels,you just see the 4 black squares on the wheels are stationary,and not moving.
That would be a big plus if it could be done.
Thanks.
you live and learn,and die and forget.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Bader, Marine, others,

Change your flight moder to "Novice" in Options->Sim.

Then watch some take off and landings and see if the wheels spin and look OK.

If they look OK , I might be able to do the same to the real fight model wheels.

Thanks.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

Buddye wrote:Bader, Marine, others,

Change your flight moder to "Novice" in Options->Sim.

Then watch some take off and landings and see if the wheels spin and look OK.

If they look OK , I might be able to do the same to the real fight model wheels.

Thanks.
Buddye.
Changed it as you said.From the moment it landed to the spit stopping,the wheels moved 2 times only,(didn't watch the back wheel,only the 2 front wheels)but about a quarter of a turn each time.
Between each time the wheels did move,there was a considerable length of space of the spit moving on.
Hope you can do this Buddye,as it looks so much more life like.
PS.I forgot about the take off,so i have just done it.
The 2 front wheels turned once,but in the opposite direction,to what the wheels should have.
you live and learn,and die and forget.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

Toonsis
Technical Sergeant

Post by Toonsis »

hated the pix, thanks for posting them

nachinus
Staff Sergeant

Post by nachinus »

Awesome! I didn't expecto so many new thingies. This is not just a mission pack, but a content update too. Will some of that content update also the BoB campaign? If i roll back to BoB using the utility, will the updated models, gauges, mobile parts etc remain?
"I hate reality, but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
Woody Allen

heinkill
BDG

Post by heinkill »

It started as a few Battle of France missions, then grew and grew thanks to the usual crowd of mindlessly dedicated people... 8)

We have set up the RESTORE program so that when you RESTORE you get your BOB default Instant Action Missions and BOB period objects back, but keep the code updates and new models/gauges etc.

What is next for BOBII?

Early in the new year Whirlybird plans to release a Missions Mega Pack:
  • Battle of France missions
    Aces Mission Pack
    Al Deere Mission Pack
All in the same format with simple Install and Restore functions so you can merrily switch between all the mission packs and the default BOBII missions. By his count this should give players 280 unique missions!

Also the new year, we will start work on Tiger Moth training missions...

Then there is the full Update 2.11...

2010 is going to be just as big for BOBII!

nachinus
Staff Sergeant

Post by nachinus »

That's great. Thanks for the info!
I'm sure it will!! :)
"I hate reality, but it's still the best place to get a good steak."
Woody Allen

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

heinkill wrote:
Also the new year, we will start work on Tiger Moth training missions...

Then there is the full Update 2.11...

Yes, year 2010 is looking like a good year for BOBII but I think 2009 will very hard to beat (2009 was truely outstanding year for BOBII and the BDG, IMHO).

We may "findly" get Geoff's Tiger Moth in the BOBII game with Heinkill's very creative approach which gets us around the campaign software problem of adding the Tiger Moth (or actually any new A/C slot) into the full BOBII game.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

cgjimeneza
Senior Airman

Post by cgjimeneza »

a big THANK YOU

you bringed xmas much earlier this year...

will go for some cheese and a nice Bordeaux
Carlos Jimenez

wnyowell
Senior Airman

Post by wnyowell »

I'm confused. I have read that there were no Spitfires sent to France, only Hurricanes.
Falcon-NW Talon; Intel Quad Core i7 2.67 GHz; ATI HD-4870;27" Acer Widescreen Monitor; Windows 7 Home Professional 64-bit; AV8R stick & Quadrant; CH Pro Pedals; TrackIR-4

heinkill
BDG

Post by heinkill »

And depending on the dates you use to define the BoF, you are nearly right Sir!

The very first mission in BOBII Battle of France mission pack features one of the only Spit types which were in France in May 1940 - the PR I recon Spit. Based Feb 1940 to June 1940 at Coulommiers.

"On 10 February 1940, No.212 Sq reformed at Heston to carry out strategic photographic reconnaissance duties in France working closely with the Photographic Development Unit. After flying some operational missions, the Spit PR I detachment in France was forced to evacuate its base on 14 June 1940."

PR I Spitfire in green camo

There were no Spits based in France, other than these. But this BOF mission set covers the period from the start of the attack on France 10 May to the completion of the Dunkirk evacuation on 4 June. The screen shots featuring normal camouflage Spits in these threads are from the period after the RAF left France, and the missions in this BOF pack recreate actual missions flown by Spit squadrons based out of England, and patrolling over the Dunkirk area.

The first Bf109 kill recorded by a Spit was by Alan Deere during the BoF, and the first 'Big Wing' employed by the RAF comprising Spitfires was also fielded during the BoF. Both scenarios are featured in this mission pack.

Some prefer to define the BoF as the period from 10 May until the RAF left French soil, but I suspect the French beg to differ, as the armistice was not signed until 22 June.

The first Spits lost in the BoF were 23 May and last casualty over Dunkirk was also a Spit:

23rd may 7 hurricanes, 6 spitfires lost
24th may 4 hurricanes, 3 spitfires lost
25th may 3 hurricanes, 4 spitfires lost
26th may 4 hurricanes, 6 spitfires lost
27th may 13 hurricanes, 7 spitfires lost
28th may 8 hurricanes, 3 spitfires and 3 defiants lost
29th may 8 hurricanes, 7 spitfires and 4 defiants lost
30th may -
31st may 10 hurricanes, 7 spitfires, 3 defiants and 1 gladiator lost
1st june 9 hurricanes, 11 spitfires lost
2nd june 2 hurricanes, 8 spitfires lost
3rd june 2 hurricanes lost
4th june 1 spitfire lost

As they featured so heavily in the protection of retreating BEF forces through the BoF and Dunkirk, the appropriate Spit squadrons are featured in the BOBII BoF mission pack.

It also gives the RAF player the nice option of flying Hurris early in the BoF, and then either Spits or Hurris in the later missions.

Cheers

H

wnyowell
Senior Airman

Post by wnyowell »

Thanks, Heinkill

"nearly right" probably ups my average a bit.
Falcon-NW Talon; Intel Quad Core i7 2.67 GHz; ATI HD-4870;27" Acer Widescreen Monitor; Windows 7 Home Professional 64-bit; AV8R stick & Quadrant; CH Pro Pedals; TrackIR-4

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”