New Bob2 Missions: Battle of France

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

Re: NOW AVAILABLE! Battle of France for BOBII

Post by Itkovian »

I look away for a few weeks, and this is what happens.

Excellent! :)

I look forward to trying this, though right now I have my SPC campaign to finish (down to September 10th, and RAF is doing well *grin*).

Question: are the 2.11 changes applied and removed when you install/uninstall the BOF package?

And what are the good things to backup to conserve settings, in case things go wrong?

Thank you.

Itkovian

heinkill
BDG

Post by heinkill »

Hi Itka

The 2.11 changes are applied, but they are not removed when you RESTORE to Battle of Britain. We did a quick beta forum poll and it was felt people would want to keep the code fixes, and new aircraft models, and that has been the case so far.

Also, your settings such as options and bdg config file, joysticks, key assignments etc should not be effected by this mod, neither will it wipe campaign save games etc. It only replaces the files necessary to give you Battle of France missions, skins, aircraft and the code fixes.

If you want to be super careful though, here is the advice on saving your settings:

Here is how to save all your favorate setting just incase you have a problem and need to re-install:

After you get all configured and set up the way you want, backup the following folders/files:

1. KeyBoard folder
2. Savegame folder
3. 2dGauge folder
4. Bdg.txt file

Save them in a zip folder and label 're-install settings'.

If you have a problem (or you want re-install) again you will have all your good settings saved and you just need to "re-install" by unzipping the above saved folders/file and you are back as you were and you do not have to re-enter your joystick buttons, menu settings, or Bdg.txt settings (I call this planning ).

Enjoy!

PS I was mentally thanking you the other night when flying one of the BOF missions where a flight of 3 Hurris is set upon by a staffeln of 110s. It was a great dogfight because I had MAX AI TARGETING PLAYER = 1 so only 1 Zerstorer at a time was on my tail. Those that weren't engaged just loitered in the area, as they should. I managed to deal with the 110 on my tail and was heading back into the furball when another 110 broke off from circling and swooped down to engage me. It was great to see Buddye's intelligent AI reacting like this instead of just forming conga lines behind the player. In most of the missions in the Battle of France mod, the RAF is outnumbered (as it was historically) and they would basically have been unplayable if we had not fine tuned the AI thanks to your prompting. So you can take some credit for this mod too!
Looking for BOB missions, campaigns, and historical resources?

http://bobgamehub.blogspot.com

Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

Post by Itkovian »

*chuckle*

Well, I did most of the hard work after all, Buddye just did as I told him. :p

Seriously though, I know what you mean. Buddye did great work. I'm in the middle of the London Blitz in my long-running SPC (mostly long because I took a month's break), now in command of 65 squadron (after 1C was decimated on the 7th... taken out on the ground by a squadron of 110s after a very successful sortie - very sad, but I was still in the air at the time and survived), and the going is excellent.

I must admit that while I was a wingman (started out bottom of the ladder, green 3) I was attacked very rarely in fact, enough that I was worried there might be a problem, but it did happen sometimes. But now that I'm command I definitely get targetted, but at MAX AI TARGETING PLAYER = 2 I still manage very well, and often only have 1 E/A attacking me when we have good parity in numbers (maybe it's a coincidence, but I know that in 2.09, even if the sky was filled with friendlies and we had local dominance, I'd still get 2-3 E/As attacking me at all time).

It makes for some fun flying, and is realistic anyway (I mean, I know I break off when I see my target has 1 or 2 friendlies latched on to him, friendly fire is too likely for me to do any good). I think a very good balance has been reached, at least in my experience as a Squadron Leader so far, where you can't get tunnel vision and need to keep your head on a swivel and listen to warnings, but still get opportunities to "latch on" targets without having to break off after a second because you're being hit.

Anyway, I will try out BOF as soon as I'm done with my SPC... though I want to make a new SPC soon after, which I intend to fully document with mission reports (both in the game itself in probably in AARs).

Thank you for all the hard work, all of you. :)

Itkovian

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Itkovian wrote:

Itkovian
Actually this statement is very correct. The BOBII players and Beta Testers really do most all the heavy lifting for me with fixing problems and even some enhancements. They find and then refine the problem, isolate the problem, give me a failing test case, and specify what is needed. They stay with me during the the code analysis and testing. This repeat testing, analysis, and communication can take weeks.

Without the BOBII testers (both Beta and player), BOBII would have ended many years ago. A good team and good team work is really needed in a major software project like BOBII.

I do not thank the testers enough (and I should) but they are the driving force in BOBII. Without our player and Beta Testers helping, the coder BOBII would be just dead in the water.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

cgjimeneza
Senior Airman

Post by cgjimeneza »

1st mission with the PR spitfire

what is the text displayed when ID´ng the german boggies? I think it should read DO-17 but mine reads something else, will recheck at home and edit this msg.

when max targeting ai is set to 1, this only affects the 110´s and 109´s..... the bombers will still engage me if I come withing the machine gun radius, correct?

Carlos
Carlos Jimenez

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

cgjimeneza wrote: when max targeting ai is set to 1, this only affects the 110´s and 109´s..... the bombers will still engage me if I come withing the machine gun radius, correct?
Max targeting is only for fighters. Bomber gunners will shoot anything within range and line of sight.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Itkovian
Staff Sergeant

Post by Itkovian »

Buddye wrote:
Itkovian wrote:

Itkovian
Actually this statement is very correct. The BOBII players and Beta Testers really do most all the heavy lifting for me with fixing problems and even some enhancements. They find and then refine the problem, isolate the problem, give me a failing test case, and specify what is needed. They stay with me during the the code analysis and testing. This repeat testing, analysis, and communication can take weeks.

Without the BOBII testers (both Beta and player), BOBII would have ended many years ago. A good team and good team work is really needed in a major software project like BOBII.

I do not thank the testers enough (and I should) but they are the driving force in BOBII. Without our player and Beta Testers helping, the coder BOBII would be just dead in the water.
But see, I was just playing the game. You did all the hard work. And good work it was. :)

Itkovian

cgjimeneza
Senior Airman

Post by cgjimeneza »

Buddye wrote:
cgjimeneza wrote: when max targeting ai is set to 1, this only affects the 110´s and 109´s..... the bombers will still engage me if I come withing the machine gun radius, correct?
Max targeting is only for fighters. Bomber gunners will shoot anything within range and line of sight.

I just tried the mission at home, the ID reads: Do1 7 , note there is a space between the 1 and the 7
Carlos Jimenez

danimalhanke
Airman

Post by danimalhanke »

Cannot get this to work. The missions do not show up "in-game" 2.10 is installed along with the multi-skin. Everything is going where it needs to, but the missions are not showing up under "Instant Action" Please advise
FatDaddy=VIII=

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Did you point the BOF directory at the BOBII install?
Buddye

heinkill
BDG

Post by heinkill »

danimalhanke wrote:Cannot get this to work. The missions do not show up "in-game" 2.10 is installed along with the multi-skin. Everything is going where it needs to, but the missions are not showing up under "Instant Action" Please advise
Yes it sounds like it may be installing to the wrong directory. The way to check is to see the date on your quick.dat file in the BFIELDS folder - it should be 2009.

It is working for other players so we just need to see what is happening with your install.

H

Helmut_AUT
Senior Airman

Post by Helmut_AUT »

Has anyone found a notable performance difference when adding the Treeline Autogen objects, compared to just the normal forests?

I find this looks really nice, but I'm not sure it seems to cost me a few frames too much sometimes. I'm running exactly the settings from this thread for both forests and treelines.

heinkill
BDG

Post by heinkill »

yes just do a forum search u can tune the tree density to reduce the performance hit. autogen trees is still beta that is why it is not a default setting.

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Helmut_AUT wrote:Has anyone found a notable performance difference when adding the Treeline Autogen objects, compared to just the normal forests?

I find this looks really nice, but I'm not sure it seems to cost me a few frames too much sometimes. I'm running exactly the settings from this thread for both forests and treelines.

The treelines feature should be much less demanding than the forests, I'd say. It's all rather system specific, though..
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Heinkill,

On May 9, I was coming home from Cherbourg with a baguette between my knees and a salami, when I spotted these Dorniers, a whole gaggle. I ate the salami and watched until they landed and then I swooped down on the the bunch and blew them to smithereens -all but one that is. I was out of ammo. So I landed, jumped out of my cockpit and struck the dazed crew with the salami stick, grabbed a string of wieners and jumped back into my green machine. I thought this was gonna be hard? Perhaps you are starting us off with an easy mission. BTW, the mod with the French women is great. They were waving their hankies as I flew off.

S'
PC
"Was it something I said?" - 'Moggy' Cattermole 'Piece of Cake'
Core 2 Duo E6700, ASUS P5N-E-SLI, 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400,ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti, Coolermaster 650W PSU and Case, Audigy 2ZS Platinum, 5.1 Z-640, XP Pro, 22" CHIMEI LCD

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”