Blue Six Anounces a New and Improved BOBII FM

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
Buddye
BDG

Blue Six Anounces a New and Improved BOBII FM

Post by Buddye »

Hi Guys, Blue Six (Ken) has been working on a FM change for about a year or more. I have been supporting him with code changes which most/some of you may have seen in the Bdg.txt with place holder default setting. We are now ready for you guys to take a long and careful look at these changes.

Ken's FM changes can even make an old AI coder into a better dog fighter and flyer. I truely love these changes and I hope you will enjoy them as well.

To install this outstanding BOBII FM and try it, you will need to do the following:

1. Install the new EXE which includes all my C++ code work and the new FM support:

http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/bob ... .09-31.rar

Below are the install instructions to install the downloaded files (assumes you know how to do windows copy/paste and have the rar tool):

a. Find your BOBII folder where the game was installed (default is, C:\Program Files Battle of Britian II )
b. Go to your BOBII folder and find two files called “Bob”. One file is the Bob.exe (BOB Icon and one is the Bob.pdb file (the program debug database).
c. Copy these old files to a safe folder for backup purposes only as you will replace them.
d. Download the new files in the BDG_2.09-31 link above.
e. Unpack with rar (select "extract here" as the rar option, [Note: other options will work as well])
f. Copy both files
g. Paste both files into your BOBII folder

2. Install the new FM ACD/ACM/Curves files that are in the BOBII "models folder" (backup/save the models folder first, to back up your models folder, first find the models folder in your BOBII folder, then copy and paste it to another location (like desktop for example):

a. Find your models folder in your BOBII folder where BOBII is installed (default is, C:\Program Files Battle of Britian II )
b. Download the new models flolder (Ken_FM_11-7-08.rar).
c. Unpack with rar (select "extract here" as the rar option, [Note: other options will work as well])
d Select all the ACD/ACM/Curves files and Right click on one and hit copy
e. Paste all downloaded files into your models folder (they will replace most of the ones already there)

http://www.shockwaveproductions.com/bob ... 1-7-08.rar

3. Set the following parameters in your BDG.txt file:

Make sure you have the following set in your Bdg.txt so all the new stuff is used (so you can try it out):

REDUCE_SURFACE_DEFLECTION=ON

SPITFIRE_Aileron_Boost_Delta = 1.150000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
SPITFIRE_Rudder_Boost_Delta = 1.100000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
SPITFIRE_Elevator_Boost_Delta = 1.100000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
HURRICANE_Aileron_Boost_Delta = 1.000000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
HURRICANE_Rudder_Boost_Delta = 1.000000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
HURRICANE_Elevator_Boost_Delta = 1.050000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
BF109_Aileron_Boost_Delta = 0.900000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
BF109_Rudder_Boost_Delta = 1.100000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
BF109_Elevator_Boost_Delta = 1.100000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
BF110_Aileron_Boost_Delta = 0.950000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
BF110_Rudder_Boost_Delta = 1.100000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
BF110_Elevator_Boost_Delta = 1.100000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
JU87B_Aileron_Boost_Delta = 0.850000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
JU87B_Rudder_Boost_Delta = 0.850000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
JU87B_Elevator_Boost_Delta = 1.000000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1

Spitfire_Aileron_Trim_Delta = 1500 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 0
Hurricane_Aileron_Trim_Delta = 1450 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 0
BF109_Aileron_Trim_Delta = 1475 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 0
BF110_Aileron_Trim_Delta = 500 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 0
JU87B_Aileron_Trim_Delta = 1400 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 0

Here are Ken's recommended .bdg file spin parameter settings for your player-flown aircraft (AoA / rotational velocity):

Spitfire 17.500000 / 4.250000
Hurricane 16.500000 / 5.000000
Bf109 18.500000 / 5.000000
Bf110 18.500000 / 5.000000
Ju87B 18.500000 / 6.000000

As an example, I am using the following as I am a Spit Driver (Spit is my favorate flyable A/C):

AI_Spin_AOA_Control = 17.50000 #AI. set to 0.0 Means no spins for AI, 22.0 Degrees Rowan Default(AI) (Limited to 12.0)
AI_Spin_Rotational_Velocity_Control = 4.25000 #AI, 14.325 degrees per second Rowan Default(AI) (Limited to 3.5)

If your favorate flyable A/C was a Bf109 you would use the following for the Bf109:

AI_Spin_AOA_Control = 18.500000 #AI. set to 0.0 Means no spins for AI, 22.0 Degrees Rowan Default(AI) (Limited to 12.0)
AI_Spin_Rotational_Velocity_Control = 5.000 #AI, 14.325 degrees per second Rowan Default(AI) (Limited to 3.5)

You can of course change these settings to your indivial taste but this gives you a recommended starting point.

As always, I have provided Blue Six's outstanding complete text which will explain all these changes. Let me be the first to thank Ken for all this significant contribution and hard work on the FM for BOBII. I am just loving flying and fighting with it.

Hi Buddye - I've taken one last kick at our flight models for the original five flyable a/c, making mostly minor changes to each. The results are attached. When time permits, perhaps you can give them a try and if all goes well, please post them for the Beta Team to have a go at. As always, the new ACM, ACD and Curves files go in the "Models" folder, and testers are advised to backup current versions of all files (or the whole folder) beforehand. You'll see further down that I've enclosed recommended initial settings for the fixed aileron trim and for the control surface "boost delta" lines in the .bdg file, for each model. Testers must insert these values in their .bdg files in place of the defaults, before flying these FMs. Note: should these proposed .bdg file settings prove acceptable, I'd suggest we make them the defaults in future. There should be no adverse effect for those who fly with reduced realism settings - the code disregards the fixed aileron trim offset if the "torque/slipstream" option is not selected; similarly, the control surface boost delta numbers are not used if "reduce surface deflection" is not selected in the .bdg file.

Background - My initial motivation in revisiting the FMs was to correct a problem with spin entry following accelerated stalls (see "Revised Spin Code" below). I also wanted to replace the interim solution for fixed aileron trim introduced along with torque effects at Patch 2.07, with the more realistic approach we subsequently devised for the Tiger Moth. Finally, I thought I should suggest some initial figures for the control surface "boost delta" lines in the .bdg file - these lines relate to control surface deflection reduction, and currently will be set at a default value of 1.000000 for most testers.

I've been tinkering with these changes for about a year, so please excuse the lengthy explanation of what's been done which follows. Here's an overview of the basic changes in FM code and FM input files, followed by more detail on an aircraft by aircraft basis:

Revised Spin Code - the issue with spin entry is (was) most easily seen with the stock 2.07 and 2.08 EXEs in accelerated stalls during abrupt turns, especially at full throttle and to the right. When the a/c is rolled right, steadied, and the stick pulled back sharply and held back, particularly at high altitudes, the FM often appears undecided whether or not (or which way) to spin, and hangs up in intermittent buffet, with the nose yawing back and forth, up and down through the horizon. This is not realistic behaviour and is a bit of an immersion killer. The problem progressively worsened with FM updates at Patch 2.06 (reduced roll rates) and 2.07 (introduction of torque effects).

The solution finally came in the form of two small changes to the FM code - first to the spin detection logic and then to the part of the code which encourages the model to spin. As our testers will recall, spins are generated when the wing angle of attack and the model's angular velocity in yaw exceed trigger values which have been entered in the .bdg file. When this occurs, the code automatically injects elevator, aileron and rudder inputs which put the model into a spin. The apparent reluctance to enter cleanly into a spin was in part due to the use of a single trigger point for wing angle of attack. Without getting into too much detail, what was happening was that in certain flight conditions, with full back stick, the angle of attack was oscillating, repeatedly passing up and down through the trigger point, causing the pro-spin control inputs to rapidly switch on and off. The FM code change you devised provides a dual trigger for the angle of attack parameter (the "spin inputs off" AoA is 25% of the "spin on" AoA, set in the .bdg file), largely eliminating this as a cause of the spin entry problem. The second change increases the amount of aileron input which is automatically injected when the code detects that both spin triggers have been exceeded. This change was needed in order to compensate for the progressive reduction in aileron effectiveness (to reduce roll rates) in the course of the past few patches.

Both changes will be transparent to the casual player who uses the default (high) spin settings in the .bdg file; those who are inclined to use tight (small) settings should find they are able to achieve the same spin sensitivity as before with a somewhat larger AoA trigger point. This is an advantage as the AoA spin setting can be set a degree or two above the heavy buffet trigger point, ensuring the player will have adequate warning of impending accelerated stall and spin during smooth tight turns - conversely, rough handling of the elevators and rapidly exceeding both the heavy buffet and the spin AoA trigger points will be punished by departure and spin, unless the back pressure is released promptly and/or correct rudder inputs are made. Spin recovery procedure does not appear to be impacted by this code change. Recommended spin settings for the .bdg file for each aircraft are included at the end of this e-mail - these are just a start point for testers and may be too "tight" for some tastes. If so, they can be eased off (one or both parameters increased) as desired. My basic aim here for the single seaters was to make the Spit the easiest to provoke into accelerated stall / spin, followed by the Hurri, then the Bf109;

Aileron Trim Delta Feature - thanks to the code change you devised earlier for the Tiger Moth, we now are better able to simulate the ground adjustable only aileron trim found on the five original flyable a/c, and to set up the ailerons to counter propeller torque in the cruise condition, via changes in the .bdg file. The code change also senses whether or not the torque/slipstream option is ON; if not, it doesn't use the .bdg offsets. This is a real advantage as it enables us to have just one set of FMs for all players, regardless of whether or not they prefer to fly with torque/slipstream enabled, and will eliminate the "a/c wants to roll right" problem some new players see when they fly the current 2.08 "realistic" FMs with torque/slipstream switched OFF. All models now carry only the historically correct cockpit-adjustable trims: elevator only for the Bf109 and elevator and rudder for the other four aircraft (I can provide mod instructions for players who may wish to install non-RW trims, if necessary);

Recommended settings for the AILERON_TRIM_DELTA section of the .bdg file are included in the aircraft by aircraft recap, below. I've selected these to match an assumed cruise speed, and the rpm which sustains level flight at that particular airspeed. Important note: for balance in roll, the aircraft must already be correctly trimmed in the yaw (rudder) sense - to confirm this, it is strongly recommended that all testers use stickman's excellent 2D gauges, in particular, the turn and slip indicator. For aircraft with rudder trim, this instrument will enable you to centre the ball properly at cruise speed and power setting. Testers not in the habit of using the turn and slip indicator will find it interesting to see the variation of sideslip angle with power settings and airspeed, particularly in the Bf109, which has no cockpit-adjustable rudder trim. Timely use of the 2D turn and slip indicator (and rudder) in the Bf109 will improve success rates both in air-to-air gunnery and in landing.

Should anyone wish to try changes to the aileron trim delta numbers, note that increasing the number in the .bdg file increases the amount of offset built into the ailerons, reducing it reduces the offset. The greater the aileron offset, the higher the power setting/airspeed which can be selected, while remaining in trim in the roll sense;

Control Surface Boost Delta Feature - introduced at Patch 2.08, this feature reduces achievable control surface deflection as a function of dynamic pressure, rather than simply airspeed, provided reduce_surface_deflection is "ON" in the .bdg file. As well as being more realistic, this change lets us adjust the mechanical advantage the player exerts over each of the primary control surfaces, individually, on an aircraft by aircraft basis. Settings in the .bdg file above the default value of 1.000000 move the deflection loss curve to the right, i.e. the onset of deflection loss is delayed, as is the point at which deflection loss reaches its limiting value (5% of full deflection remaining). Conversely, using a boost delta number of less than 1.000000 moves the curve to the left, meaning the available deflection of that particular control surface will begin to decline sooner, as dynamic pressure increases. An unexpected bonus of this code change is that the visual image of the controls is now harmonized with the degree of deflection loss. Previously, the visual model showed full deflection regardless of the extent of deflection loss - this is now corrected, as can be seen if you place the aircraft in a vertical dive, apply and hold full aileron and watch the aileron deflection decrease as "q" builds. Note: I had very little RW data to use in coming up with these numbers - they are not hard and fast, they are a good approximation. Testers are encouraged to insert different numbers and develop a feel for the effect of changes to these settings;

Elevator Authority - in previous patches we've updated the Curves aero data for the wings and fins; I thought it was time we did the same for the horizontal stabs, and made small changes to the aero data for the horizontal stabs, for all aircraft. In the case of the Spit, this was in an attempt to improve responsiveness to small control inputs. For the three LW aircraft, I wanted to improve the elevator authority at low speed, particularly during the flare for landing. I think this has been successful, and that we've coincidentally smoothed off some of the rough edges in the handling of the Bf109 in particular, without upsetting the balance of performance relative to the RAF fighters - the Spit and Hurri will still out-turn the 109, but the 109 feels quite a bit more usable to me now;

Yaw stability and damping - one of the distinguishing features of the Merlin FM compared to its competitors is the relative "looseness" of the models in the yaw sense. When the nose is pushed sideways off its heading by a gust or a rudder input, it takes some time to settle back down, overshooting the neutral point several times in the process. While this adds to the immersiveness of the simming experience, it was slightly overdone in the early FMs. Concurrent with the introduction of torque effects at Patch 2.07, I attempted to improve yaw stability and damping by inserting artificially large values for fin/rudder area, chord and span in the FM input files, increasing the "weathercocking" effect which pulls the nose back into line when it yaws from the proper heading. This was intended only as a stop-gap measure; the actual cause of the low yaw damping is that the moments of inertia used by Rowan are two to three times larger than they should be. At the time, I was unable to correct the MOIs to RW values - reducing the MOI in pitch led to ground vibration problems with two of the LW a/c. Post-2.07, Simon and I burned many hours attempting to solve this vibration issue via changes to the FM files and certain 3D models, all to no avail. More recently, I've discovered that inserting the RW MOIs also has an adverse effect on the ability of the AI to fly the models. Faced with all this, I have conceded defeat and retained the non-RW values for fin/rudder dimensions, updating the Ju87B to this configuration as well. Stuka fans should notice the change;

Roll Rates - very small adjustments were made in max roll rates for the single seat fighters, in an attempt to give the Bf109 a historically correct slight roll rate advantage over the RAF fighters at lower airspeeds. The aileron boost feature outlined above has been used to reverse the situation at higher airspeeds. Roll performance of the Bf110 and Stuka have been decreased slightly from 2.07. All these changes affect both the player-flown and AI FMs. Overall, these roll rates are now as close to RW as I think we want to go; and

Revised fuel weights - internal fuel weights for both the flyable and the AI only models have been corrected in the ACD files, to match the RW figures recently determined by stickman. Model empty weights were adjusted as needed to maintain the same all up weight. These changes in fuel weight are for the most part small; they will affect the maximum range of the aircraft, but should have no noticeable effect on the FMs. (I will send you the ACD files for the AI-only models in a later e-mail).

Additional highlights, aircraft by aircraft:

Spitfire - the "1A" version has been given a new two pitch propeller, to match the radius and blade area of the 1B's constant speed prop (the stock Rowan Spit and Hurri 1A props were only 140 cm in radius - not historically correct, and the smaller swept area makes it much too easy to exceed the engine's 3000 rpm limit during takeoff). Pitch angles on the new, larger two pitch prop have been selected to retain similar performance as seen with the stock Rowan prop, in initial climb rate and in max straight and level speed.

Recommended .bdg AILERON_TRIM_DELTA setting of 1500 should give trim in roll at approx 240 mph, 60% throttle (see earlier note about use of rudder trim to centre the ball);

Hurricane - same prop change as Spitfire, for 1A version.

Recommended .bdg AILERON_TRIM_DELTA setting of 1450 should give trim in roll at approx 220 mph, 60% throttle;

Bf109 - changes to h-stab aero properties have enabled the model's cg to be moved rearward. Induced drag was reduced very slightly, to decrease the rate of energy loss during turns. Overall handling is improved. Landing is somewhat easier, as the model is more stable on final approach, once properly trimmed.

Recommended .bdg AILERON_TRIM_DELTA setting of approximately 1475 should give trim in roll at approx 400 kph, 60% throttle (small amount of right rudder may be needed to centre the ball);

Bf110 - aileron trim removed in the interest of historical accuracy. Small changes made in ACD file to improve the cockpit range of view over the shoulder. Testers may also find it helpful for takeoffs and landings to temporarily "raise the seat" using the "HEADUP" command - note than for this to work, CUSTOM_HEAD_POSITION needs to set to ON in the .bdg file. Approx 25 keystrokes are needed to raise the point of view sufficiently. To return the seat/head to the correct position for using the gunsight, you need only use the "lean left" and "lean right" commands (Q and W), one after the other.

Recommended .bdg AILERON_TRIM_DELTA setting of 500 should give trim in roll at approx 400 kph, 70% throttle;

Stuka - extensive aero changes were made to reduce the stall speed to the RW number provided by Snip last year, and to enable the player to properly achieve a three point landing attitude (note that these changes have affected the view from the cockpit slightly). Induced drag has been raised, to increase the rate of energy bleed during manoeuvres and make the Stuka's handling a bit less sporting than it was previously. Yaw stability and damping are improved. As before, the neutral position for pitch trim has been set with a bomb load in mind, so an unloaded Stuka may be somewhat tail heavy on takeoff - for a clean takeoff, slight forward pressure on the stick may be needed to raise the tail late in the takeoff run. Pitching moment change due to divebrake extension has been adjusted as needed and handling during dive-bombing is improved. Of particular interest to me, and perhaps I was the only one here who didn't know this, but Rowan have cleverly simulated the RW Stuka's automatic pull-up feature for dive-bombing, which is active provided the dive brakes are extended and is triggered by the bomb release key. It works very nicely. Even in a vertical dive, provided bombs are pickled no lower than approx 800 metres AGL, the Stuka will recover hands off - listen for the undulating warning tone which commences at about 1300 metres AGL, and try to pickle your bomb no later than the fourth or fifth peak in the tone. Once level flight is achieved and while still hands off, retract the dive brakes and take control again. Magic. Note: for maximum accuracy in bomb delivery, ensure you have centralized the rudder trim at the onset of the dive - if you don't do this, you will be flying with a considerable sideslip at the moment of release (again, the 2D turn and slip gauge will highlight this).

Recommended .bdg AILERON_TRIM_DELTA setting of 1400 should give trim in roll at approx 300 kph, 65% throttle.

Associated .bdg file settings - here are the recommended settings for control surface BOOST_DELTA, for each aircraft:

SPITFIRE_Aileron_Boost_Delta = 1.150000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
SPITFIRE_Rudder_Boost_Delta = 1.100000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
SPITFIRE_Elevator_Boost_Delta = 1.100000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
HURRICANE_Aileron_Boost_Delta = 1.000000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
HURRICANE_Rudder_Boost_Delta = 1.000000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
HURRICANE_Elevator_Boost_Delta = 1.050000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
BF109_Aileron_Boost_Delta = 0.900000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
BF109_Rudder_Boost_Delta = 1.100000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
BF109_Elevator_Boost_Delta = 1.100000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
BF110_Aileron_Boost_Delta = 0.950000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
BF110_Rudder_Boost_Delta = 1.100000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
BF110_Elevator_Boost_Delta = 1.100000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
JU87B_Aileron_Boost_Delta = 0.850000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
JU87B_Rudder_Boost_Delta = 0.850000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1
JU87B_Elevator_Boost_Delta = 1.000000 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 1

Recommended .bdg file spin settings for the player-flown aircraft (AoA / rotational velocity):

Spitfire 17.500000 / 4.250000
Hurricane 16.500000 / 5.000000
Bf109 18.500000 / 5.000000
Bf110 18.500000 / 5.000000
Ju87B 18.500000 / 6.000000

There you have it, Buddye. Thanks again for your help in devising the code changes needed to fix our spin entry problem and to enable the aileron fixed trim and control surface boost features. I hope the testers enjoy these proposed changes - observations and suggestions for improvement are welcome. Barring any glaring issues, I'd like to think we can effectively freeze this set of FMs from any further changes (I know, I've probably said that once or twice before...)

Best wishes,

Ken
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Mickvet
Senior Airman

Re: Blue Six Anounces a New and Improved FM for Players to Try

Post by Mickvet »

Buddye,
Thanks for all this-just gets better and better.However, I find when I download the second(FM) file, it repeatedly is ''in unknown format or damaged''.No problems with first file.

Mickvet
Senior Airman

Post by Mickvet »

Buddye,
Sorry, disregard last post, just got it.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Hi Mick,

Strange, I just downloaded the files and unpacked it with rar. BTW, I am running IE.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

reflected
Master Sergeant

Post by reflected »

Very promising! Can't wait to try it. Any more specific info on this? What exactly does it change?

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

reflected wrote: What exactly does it change?
?? Buddye has quoted 140 lines of text Blue Six has written in that post on the changes.

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

I have loaded the changes,and hope to try it out later.
However,the Spin changes regarding the Spin Parameters,there are 2 files in the bdg text,1 Player Spin,2 A1 Spin,do you have to change the both of them to the same values,or just change the A1 Spin,and A1 Rotational Velocity Control?
you live and learn,and die and forget.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

reflected
Master Sergeant

Post by reflected »

PV wrote:
?? Buddye has quoted 140 lines of text Blue Six has written in that post on the changes.
:oops: silly me

stalkervision
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by stalkervision »

reflected wrote:
PV wrote:
:oops: silly me
La! You didn't read the manual.. :P :)

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Marine and everyone,

You just need to change the Player_Spin.

Player_Spin_AOA_Control
Player_Spin_Rotational_Velocity_Control

Leave the AI_Spin at default (do not change it for now). You can not set a single spin parameter for all the flyable AI A/C so it is best to leave it at default for now.
Buddye

blue six
BDG & A2A

Post by blue six »

marine wrote:I have loaded the changes,and hope to try it out later.
However,the Spin changes regarding the Spin Parameters,there are 2 files in the bdg text,1 Player Spin,2 A1 Spin,do you have to change the both of them to the same values,or just change the A1 Spin,and A1 Rotational Velocity Control?
Hi Marine - no, the Player and the Artificial Intelligence spin settings do not need to be the same. The suggestions I made in my release note for various aircraft types are for the Player settings. Since the AI spin settings do not distinguish between LW or RAF, or aircraft type, I'd suggest you use slightly larger settings there, in order not to see too many spins - perhaps 18.0 / 6.0 to start with. Make adjustments from there as you like. Alternatively, as Buddye has suggested, you can simply leave the AI settings at default. Don't forget as well that you can adjust the delay in spin recovery by the AI-flown aircraft, depending on their skill level. These lines are immediately following the basic AI spin settings.

blue six

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

Buddye wrote:Marine and everyone,

You just need to change the Player_Spin.

Player_Spin_AOA_Control
Player_Spin_Rotational_Velocity_Control

Leave the AI_Spin at default (do not change it for now). You can not set a single spin parameter for all the flyable AI A/C so it is best to leave it at default for now.
Buddye.
Thanks for the info on the settings,i will have to change them back to their original values,no big deal.
I was wondering about settings for individual a/c,but now i know,hope to try them out tonight

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

blue six wrote:
marine wrote:I have loaded the changes,and hope to try it out later.
Hi Marine - no, the Player and the Artificial Intelligence spin settings do not need to be the same. The suggestions I made in my release note for various aircraft types are for the Player settings. Since the AI spin settings do not distinguish between LW or RAF, or aircraft type, I'd suggest you use slightly larger settings there, in order not to see too many spins - perhaps 18.0 / 6.0 to start with. Make adjustments from there as you like. Alternatively, as Buddye has suggested, you can simply leave the AI settings at default. Don't forget as well that you can adjust the delay in spin recovery by the AI-flown aircraft, depending on their skill level. These lines are immediately following the basic AI spin settings.

blue six
Blue Six
I will try out the default for the A1 settings,and also the numbers you gave me to not get too many spins.
I used to get shot down when pulling back on the stick,as the plane was all over the place(the spit)wandering about amongst the clouds,trying to make up its mind which way to go,so hopefully that is cured now.
Im sure everyone will appreciatte the hard work you and buddye have put in on this update.

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

This change will punish "hamfisted" flying such as the jerky sick action will result in A/C stalling or spinnings just as it should. If you do not understand the aero facts of stalls and spins I think there is data on them in the BOBII manual or of course on the web.

You will need to learn to recover from spins (see Blue Six's text).

This change will make (almost force) you to fly better and it will not impact your combat unless you are in the habit of "hamfisted" quick jerkey stick action.

Give it a long test and give yourself a good chance of becoming a better BOBII flyer.
Buddye

reflected
Master Sergeant

Post by reflected »

"Spitfire_Aileron_Trim_Delta = 1500 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 0
Hurricane_Aileron_Trim_Delta = 1450 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 0
BF109_Aileron_Trim_Delta = 1475 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 0
BF110_Aileron_Trim_Delta = 500 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 0
JU87B_Aileron_Trim_Delta = 1400 #FM Adjustment for FM Engineer, default = 0"

I don't have these lines in my bdg.txt

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”