Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Re: Subscriber Modifications

Post by rogeroger »

Two mods are uploaded here: Martins England Ground Textures for bob2
RRgraphicsmod 2

"Martins England Ground Textures " was a mod created by a chap named martin for il2 1946. Ive adapted some of its textures for use in Bob2.

Get it here:http://www.mediafire.com/file/tarfpx2w3 ... 2.zip/file

RRgraphicsmod 2 contains: further work on the cockpit enhanced lighting effect.
rework of the hurricane cockpit frames.
minor detail added to me109 cockpit frames.
added contrast to multiskin textures changed colours of he111 textures.
fx files for ships, vehicles, trains, airfield buidings and weapons tweaked to enhance light and shadow.
probably some other tweaks Ive done over the months that I have forgotten.

Created for version 2.13, tested in version 2.09 as well and it seems to work.

Ive removed cockpit reflections for the spitfire and hurricane. If you prefer cockpit reflections for these aircraft, copy the dds files in the original reflections folder to the new COCKPM16 folder.

Get it here:http://www.mediafire.com/file/kl1k5ka9t ... 2.zip/file

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

I haven’t tested this extensively Rogeroger and wouldn't be that keen on replacing everything of course but it seems to be good quality all round, although it could still be tweaked some more for BoBII. Could be problems matching it up some of the ground objects but I haven’t noticed anything yet. I’m presuming it better reflects the smaller fields of the time and the more numerous 2d trees don’t seem to look repetitive. Maybe it is fine as it stands but also maybe some of it could be legitimately blended with some of the less interesting current stock tiles to increase the level of variation in those, or some other combination that would broadly retain the same land use representation. Just a few thoughts.

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

This is version one of a mod aiming for more life like colours and lighting for the spitfires when multi-skin mode is enabled. http://www.mediafire.com/file/pi17ptk92 ... d.zip/file

Modded non-multi skin spitfire textures are also included. As always, best to back up the relevant folders before replacing any files. Here are the templates I made to edit the textures. http://www.mediafire.com/file/g2c5igjmi ... s.zip/file. I hope to improve the lighting fx file settings further in a future update.

hellcat44
Senior Airman

Post by hellcat44 »

Ah,,,I see it's ready,,,tks!
hellcat

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

Probably the final version. It introduces some reflective properties. The only changes from v1 are to the Spit.fx file. http://www.mediafire.com/file/40bpz0yhr ... 2.zip/file

The same fx settings applied to the stock un-edited Hurricane.

Interestingly clouds are reflecting from the surfaces now. Maybe looks a bit strange at the moment but probably better than nothing.

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

Getting a better idea about lighting now. Lighting effects for LW aircraft seem to have been ok all along but they were turned way down for the RAF aircraft. Reflection effects were turned down so that they were about undetectable for all aircraft. I turned the reflections multiplier up from to 2 to 256 initially to see what was going on but at the moment I think that 16 seems about right. Multiplayer enabled or not might still make some difference but I don't think it is major. Each the fx files even for things like cockpits can be edited to increase reflections for some small benefit.

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

This is a lighting mod for the aircraft focusing on reflections. The enhanced lighting effects can be seen particularly when flying in poor weather where the clouds reflect on the aircraft under certain conditions. I believe reflections can also be added to all 3d objects in the game. http://www.mediafire.com/file/6531j3zj1 ... d.zip/file

Select Patrol 616 for the spitfire PR.1

rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Post by rogeroger »

I haven’t tested this extensively Rogeroger and wouldn't be that keen on replacing everything of course but it seems to be good quality all round, although it could still be tweaked some more for BoBII. Could be problems matching it up some of the ground objects but I haven’t noticed anything yet. I’m presuming it better reflects the smaller fields of the time and the more numerous 2d trees don’t seem to look repetitive. Maybe it is fine as it stands but also maybe some of it could be legitimately blended with some of the less interesting current stock tiles to increase the level of variation in those, or some other combination that would broadly retain the same land use representation. Just a few thoughts.
Hi Boreas

I've used this terrain in its current form for the last few months and it has become a permanent fixture in my Bob2 setup. I probably wont do any further terrain editing unless I come across some good images. With this terrain and my graphics mod I have Bob2 setup pretty much the way I want it.

I notice you have also started mucking about with the fx files. I like the spit colours.
Last edited by rogeroger on 04 Aug 2018, 13:40, edited 2 times in total.

rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Post by rogeroger »

This is a fix for the RR graphics mod_2 spitfire cockpit texture.

Whilst editing the cockpit frame colours I accidently disturbed the alignment of some of the cockpit textures, fixed this. I've also cleaned up the stock texturing of the elevator and rudder trim wheels, as well as cloned some protective padding(below the leather pad) on the sight mechanism from an image captured from a video of a reconstructed spitfire cockpit(phew that was a mouthfull).

OLD

NEW

Place the dds file in your COCKPM16 folder and overwrite(save old file to safe place just in case).
GET IT HERE:http://www.mediafire.com/file/w6h8g8h2h ... 2.zip/file

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

I agree Rogeroger, your adapted ground textures would be the best option at the moment, perhaps working best with ground object density lowered from max settings.

I had forgotten that when multi-skin is disabled the original shading/ lighting effects from the un-patched game seem to be used instead of the newer editable fx files, so that there is a difference between how the aircraft look when it is on or off. The original lighting effects look a little muted to me but they do seem to take into account varying player viewpoints and changing external camera positions. Although the multi-skin effects are very neat, I think they only attempt to represent one fixed viewpoint so the lighting on the aircraft is not altered when you change the external camera view, although it can still look very good from the correct view point. I think correcting that would need some extra lines of HLSL code and would be well beyond my current capacity which is practically zero.

rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Post by rogeroger »

Although the multi-skin effects are very neat, I think they only attempt to represent one fixed viewpoint so the lighting on the aircraft is not altered when you change the external camera view, although it can still look very good from the correct view point.
Yeah, this limitation I mentioned in a previous post when I first started experimenting with fx files. The default lighting would be great if the shadows were more enhanced. I still prefer the fx file lighting and the enhanced shadows in spite of the limitations.
I agree Rogeroger, your adapted ground textures would be the best option at the moment, perhaps working best with ground object density lowered from max settings.
I'll get down to repositioning trees and farms over the next few weeks.

I have darker green stock version3 terrains that I was using before Martins terrain. They are lighter than the previous versions with some extra brown fields added. It's been a while since I looked at them, so I will need to sort through them again before packaging and uploading them.

I Look forward to more aircraft skin colour modding from you. :)

rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Post by rogeroger »

This is a he111 skin colour mod based on the colours of a il2clod he111 skin.

default non-multiskin texture

multiskin texture

with reshade

get it here:http://www.mediafire.com/file/t1611o8v1 ... d.zip/file

Copy your cockm16 and multiskin folders to a safe place to backup original files, just in case.
Copy the two folders in the he111 colour mod folder to bob main directory,merge and overwrite.

Boreas
Technical Sergeant

Post by Boreas »

Re-colouring the hurricane so it looks similar to my spitfire mod. Only works with the multi-skin disabled as yet. http://www.mediafire.com/file/jf95sivur ... abled.zip/

ShadowShooter
Senior Airman

Post by ShadowShooter »

Nice work, Boreas. A thankyou to you, Roger and the other guys making the effort to keep the props turning here. :)

rogeroger
Staff Sergeant

Post by rogeroger »

A thankyou to you, Roger and the other guys making the effort to keep the props turning here
G'day mate, thanks for the kind words. :)

Re-colouring the hurricane so it looks similar to my spitfire mod. Only works with the multi-skin disabled as yet
Nice work Boreas, now for multiskin. :)

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”