stickman's Modifications

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
whizkid
Airman First Class

Re: stickman's Modifications

Post by whizkid »

Excellent job, SM! I looked at some WW2 pics of airfields, and you're really close to what I saw. I think the really black marks are from jet usage as they land at faster speeds than the Spits, etc., so it's natural that prop jobs would show less burnt rubber. It certainly makes for more immersion, though. Good work, sir!

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

2dGauges stickman 2016

5 March, 2016

Note! These 2dGauges only show up properly on wide screen monitors.

---------------

Many years ago a BoBII player asked me to make him a 2D Gauges set that had only a few gauges and indicators so that he would not need to look down at some gauges during combat.
Specifically requested an easy to see Slip & Turn gauge, Air Speed indicator, Altimeter, Compass, and Artificial Horizon.
I made a set and put it up for folks, calling it the Combat HUD 2dGauges.

The Mod here is that set, plus many other things that I recently added to offer a larger set of 2dGauges for all flyable aircraft, that players might like to have available.

It does not have every possible 2dGauge that BoBII currently has working, and can be put into game.
However.. currently the flyable aircraft only have that old BoB1 Artificial Horizon show up when you press H for Head Up Display.
Indeed, in the stock 2dGauges folder, only that Artificial Horizon gauge is written inside all flyable aircraft's 2dGauges configuration files!
I don't like that. Want to offer more than nothing, so here is my last make.

5 March, 2016

Note! These 2dGauges only show up properly on wide screen monitors.

---------------

Many years ago a BoBII player asked me to make him a 2D Gauges set that had only a few gauges and indicators so that he would not need to look down at some gauges during combat.
Specifically requested an easy to see Slip & Turn gauge, Air Speed indicator, Altimeter, Compass, and Artificial Horizon.
I made a set and put it up for folks, calling it the Combat HUD 2dGauges.

The Mod here is that set, plus many other things that I recently added to offer a larger set of 2dGauges for all flyable aircraft, that players might like to have available.

It does not have every possible 2dGauge that BoBII currently has working, and can be put into game.
However.. currently the flyable aircraft only have that old BoB1 Artificial Horizon show up when you press H for Head Up Display.
Indeed, in the stock 2dGauges folder, only that Artificial Horizon gauge is written inside all flyable aircraft's 2dGauges configuration files!
I don't like that. Want to offer more than nothing, so here is my last make.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

INSTALLATION:

This Mod contains all of the old 2dGuages files, plus new files and textures that I made, in the 2dGauges folder. Many textures I have replaced with my own.
The best way to install it is to remove the old 2dGauges folder, and replace the entire 2dGauges folder with this Mod.

1. Cut the existing 2dGauges folder from Battle of Britain II, and save it somewhere.
2. Extract the Zip called "2dGauges gauges stickman 2016" to desktop.
3. Open that folder, and copy the folder called 2dGauges.
4. Paste that 2dgauges folder into the Battle of Britain II root folder.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here are all the gauges and indicators supplied and "turned on" to show up in game:

-- Artificial Horizon. The old BoB1 gauge.

-- A Slip & Turn gauge. Placed just under the gun sight for easy reading.

-- An Altitude digital indicator. placed close right by the Slip & Turn gauge.

-- An Inicated Air Speed digital indicator. placed close left by the Slip & Turn gauge.

-- A Rotating Compass. Based on the RAF magnetic bowl compass.

-- An RPM digital indicator. Two of them for the Me110.

-- A Pitch Angle digital indicator. (0 to 90 degrees up, and 0 to 270 degrees down)

-- An Enemy Position Indicator. This is inside the Rotating Compass.
Friendly AC will be blue, and enemy AC will be red.
Concentric white rings are range indicators.

-- An aircraft Damage Indicator is supplied:

1. Engine (for Me110 and level bombers there are two of these)
2. Canopy
3. Inner left wing
4. Outer left wing
5. Inner right wing
6. Outer left wing
7. Tail fin
8. Elevator left
9. Elevator Right

There are 3 colors showing damage conditions:
a. Green = undamaged.
b. Yellow = light damage.
c. Red = heavy damage.

-- Two indicators are supplied for landing purposes.
1. SAFE TO LOWER Undercarriage.
2. SAFE TO LOWER Flaps.

-- Two warning lamps are supplied.
1. War Emergency Power.
After "breaking the wire" for maximum engine power, this will light red when throttle/power is above 90%.

2. Air Speed Warning.
This will light first as yellow, then as red when max diving speed is reached.

Below are speeds where the SAFE TO LOWER indicators show, and warning lamps light up as yellow and red. They will light as yellow 50 mph or 105 kph lower than max speed.
Numbers are from aircraft Manuals for most, except the Me110 max diving and flaps, which was not found.
The Hurricane landing gear and flaps in BoBII can be safely lowered at higher speeds in Game. 180 mph for flaps.

Maximum speeds are all in indicated Air Speed:

Spitfire maximum speeds.
Diving 350 mph yellow, 400 mph red
Landing gear 160 mph
Flaps 140 mph

Hurricane maximum speeds.
Diving 350 mph yellow, 390 mph red
Landing gear 200 mph
Flaps 140 mph

Me109
Diving 645 kph yellow, 750 kph red
Landing Gear 220 kph
Flaps 250 kph

Me110
Landing Gear 300 kph
Flaps 250 kph

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition there are lines written for these 2dGauges. Not turned on:

-- Fuel rotating dial gauges for the Spitfire and Me109.

-- Fuel digital indicators for all aircraft. Numbers are kilograms of fuel by weight.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In each aircraft's Configuration file there is a line for each 2dGauge where you make it show up, or turn it off.
See this line:
DrawWhen = 1 //drawWhen: 0=never, 1=all views, 2=virtual cockpit only, 4=outside views only

So to turn a 2dGauge off, the line should be:
Drawwhen = 0

INSTALLATION:

This Mod contains all of the old 2dGuages files, plus new files and textures that I made, in the 2dGauges folder. Many textures I have replaced with my own.
The best way to install it is to remove the old 2dGauges folder, and replace the entire 2dGauges folder with this Mod.

1. Cut the existing 2dGauges folder from Battle of Britain II, and save it somewhere.
2. Extract the Zip called "2dGauges gauges stickman 2016" to desktop.
3. Open that folder, and copy the folder called 2dGauges.
4. Paste that 2dgauges folder into the Battle of Britain II root folder.

Here are all the gauges and indicators supplied and "turned on" to show up in game:

-- Artificial Horizon. The old BoB1 gauge.

-- A Slip & Turn gauge. Placed just under the gun sight for easy reading.

-- An Altitude digital indicator. placed close right by the Slip & Turn gauge.

-- An Indicated Air Speed digital indicator. placed close left by the Slip & Turn gauge.

-- A Rotating Compass. Based on the RAF magnetic bowl compass.

-- An RPM digital indicator. Two of them for the Me110.

-- A Pitch Angle digital indicator. (0 to 90 degrees up, and 0 to 270 degrees down)

-- An Enemy Position Indicator. This is inside the Rotating Compass.
Friendly AC will be blue, and enemy AC will be red.
Concentric white rings are range indicators.

-- An aircraft Damage Indicator is supplied:

1. Engine (for Me110 and level bombers there are two of these)
2. Canopy
3. Inner left wing
4. Outer left wing
5. Inner right wing
6. Outer left wing
7. Tail fin
8. Elevator left
9. Elevator Right

There are 3 colors showing damage conditions:
a. Green = undamaged.
b. Yellow = light damage.
c. Red = heavy damage.

-- Two indicators are supplied for landing purposes.
1. SAFE TO LOWER Undercarriage.
2. SAFE TO LOWER Flaps.

-- Two warning lamps are supplied.
1. War Emergency Power.
After "breaking the wire" for maximum engine power, this will light red when throttle/power is above 90%.

2. Air Speed Warning.
This will light first as yellow, then as red when max diving speed is reached.

Below are speeds where the SAFE TO LOWER indicators show, and warning lamps light up as yellow and red. They will light as yellow 50 mph or 105 kph lower than max speed.
Numbers are from aircraft Manuals for most, except the Me110 max diving and flaps, which was not found.
The Hurricane landing gear and flaps in BoBII can be safely lowered at higher speeds in Game. 180 mph for flaps.

Maximum speeds are all in indicated Air Speed:

Spitfire maximum speeds.
Diving 350 mph yellow, 400 mph red
Landing gear 160 mph
Flaps 140 mph

Hurricane maximum speeds.
Diving 350 mph yellow, 390 mph red
Landing gear 200 mph
Flaps 140 mph

Me109
Landing Gear 220 kph
Flaps 250 kph

Me110
Landing Gear 300 kph
Flaps 250 kph

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition there are lines written for these 2dGauges. Not turned on:

-- Fuel rotating dial gauges for the Spitfire and Me109.

-- Fuel digital indicators for all aircraft. Numbers are kilograms of fuel by weight.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In each aircraft's Configuration file there is a line for each 2dGauge where you make it show up, or turn it off.
See this line:
DrawWhen = 1 //drawWhen: 0=never, 1=all views, 2=virtual cockpit only, 4=outside views only

So to turn a 2dGauge off, the line should be:
Drawwhen = 0

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Spitfire will look like this. The Hurricane as well.
Circling around to land, waiting for the SAFE TO LOWER Undercarriage and flaps indicators to show.
They will not show until the Indicated Air Speed is low enough, as edited in the 2dGauges Configuration file, where they show up.
Note! The yellow Labels telling you what these things are will always show up. I placed them down where the regular Info Line is. In effect.. a new part of the Info Line.

The Me109. Leaning into gun sight. For Combat HUD.
Testing the (Indicated) Air Speed Warning lamp for yellow warning.
I also enabled the fuel gauge to show up, for this picture. As sent in the Mod, it will not show. But you can turn it on, if desired.

The Me109, not leaning into gun sight. Testing the Air Speed Warning red lamp at 750+ kilometers per hour Indicated Airspeed.
Also the Pitch Angle indicator. (270 degrees being straight down to earth!)
Also.. I put the War Emergency Power red lamp just over the Power word on the Info Line. Seemed like a logical place to put it. Speed lamp over the Speed word, too.
All aircraft.
I did not recover from this crazy dive from 16,000 feet.! At Air Speed red lamp.. you cannot control the aircraft hardly at all! If you are red lamp, you need to DO something!

All flyable aircraft have the same basic layout. The Me110 has two RPM digital indicators, one for port engine and one for starboard engine. Working independently.

Here I use the Me110 to show the Damage Indicators while getting shot up from 40mm Bofors over Debden.
For the Me110, and level bombers there are two engines for the Damage Indicator.
Test start is at 3000 rpm, both engines.
Starboard engine gets hit major damage. RPM drops for it.
Port engine gets hit, minor damage, RPM drops for it, less so.
In the meantime my inner and outer wings plus the port elevator get shot up, too!

If a 40mm bullet hits my canopy armored windscreen, I should be faaked!.
I always thought BoBII 40mm bullets were not power full enough.
You can always change the Bofors rate of fire to be faster. From stock 300 (3 rounds per second) to 200 (2 rounds per second) or 100 (1 round per second).
Let the bullets fly! :twisted:
This line in the bdg.text file:
LT_BRIT_BOFORS_Reloadtime = 300 #the reload time in cseconds (cs / 100 = seconds) for the LT_BRIT_BOFORS 40 MM AA Gun. Just increase this parameter to reduce the BOFOR rate of fire

The level bombers can use some 2dGauges, too. Though.. not being flyable aircraft not all of them work.
The ones that I turned on do work.
The ammo (belt) counter does work. It works independently for each bomber position, forward, ventral, or dorsal.
The rotating compass does not work. Removed it.
The Enemy Position Indicator does work. Here below it shows up without the rotating compass around it.

Red pointers are enemies, blue pointers are friendlies.
The middle white ring is about 300 yards from your aircraft. The inner white ring is about 150 yards from you. Too close for comfort!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Any advisement on proper Indicated Air Speed max dive, max landing gear deployment speed, max flaps deployment speed,
when the Warning yellow "alarm" lamp comes on, and when the red "shutdown!" lamp comes on, for all aircraft, would be appreciated.
I am only the Mechanic, here, not the Aeronautical Engineer. :wink:

Any questions about these 2dGauges will be answered.

Aloha!

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Here is the Instruction Manual for 2D Gauges.
As written by Eric of A2A.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/k04dx ... Manual.zip

This will tell you everything you need to know about how to make these things, place them in different locations on the screen,
and how to calibrate them.

If I can figure it out, you all can, too.

However.. currently I am the Subject Matter Expert on how to make these things work OK.
Feel free to ask me any questions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It also explains what some bdg.text lines do that affect what the 2dGauges will do.
They can show what a Padlocked Targeted enemy aircraft's Damage is.. for example.

Some lines from Eric's Manual about this:

>
In BOB versions 2.10 and later, a new class of damage indicators and options are available.
Options can be specified in the BDG.txt file as follows:

2DGAUGES_IN_PADLOCK_MODE=DISPLAY_SELF_ALWAYS
This is the default option. It will cause all 2d data displays to come from the piloted plane.

2DGAUGES_IN_PADLOCK_MODE= DISPLAY_PADLOCKED_PLANE_DAMAGE_DATA
This option will cause any damage indicators in the .ini file to display damage data from the padlocked plane when in padlock mode.
In non-padlock mode, the indicators will display damage data from the pilot’s plane.
This can be handy in combat. If any enemy is padlocked you can see his damage status and plan your attacks accordingly.
You can toggle out of padlock temporarily with the ENTER key to see your own damage status on the indicators.

2DGAUGES_IN_PADLOCK_MODE= DISPLAY_PADLOCKED_PLANE_ALL_DATA If this last option is specified, all 2d gauges will display data from the padlocked plane when in padlock mode.
This option could be useful if you wanted to know the speed and direction of travel or other things about the enemy aircraft.
One again, toggling out of padlock with the ENTER key will return the display to the pilot’s aircraft data.

(stickman knows nothing about how this last part works. Not yet tested):

Also, in BOB versions 2.10 and later, a new type of damage indicator gauge is available (Name = PilotDamageIndicator).
Any DamageIndicator gauge can be changed to the new gauge type simply by changing the Name = command to PilotDamageIndicator.
Making this name change will cause only the pilot’s plane damage to show on that particular indicator regardless of the padlock status or BDG.txt options that have been specified.
This handy feature allows creation of one set of indicators to continually display the pilot’s plane damage and a second set to continually display the enemy’s damage.
This makes it easy to see how you are doing as a dogfight progresses.
<

Anyway.. you can make the 2dGauges to tell you what a Padlocked Target is doing, or what, at the least.. how it is damaged.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also it lists all of the many, many, many, possibilities that 2dGauges can do and be.

Want a Rate-of-Fuel-Burn digital indicator for the Me109 engine?
I do. I have a suspicion that the Emil range is about 10 minutes longer than it should be.
You can find the lines written as to that.. here, in this Manual.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”