Any good?

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Any good?

Post by philip.ed »

Just wondering if this PC is any good: http://www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/dell ... nd_FS.html

It's on the bottom of the page and here are the system specs:
XPS 420 Premium
Viiv Q6600 Quad Core 2.40GHz
DVD+/-RW,16X
320GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
320GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive
SATA Cable for 2ND SATA Hard Drive
Vista OnLine Getting Started Guide (WW
Image Restore - Vista
English - XPS 420 System Docs (UK power cord)
19-in-1 Bluetooth Media Card Reader
Mouse Dell Wheel USB 2 Button Scroll Black
Dell Quietkey Black Keyboard
3072MB DDR2 667 [2x1024 + 2x512)
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme
768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX
Windows Vista Home Premium

Price: £479

Looks good, but just need someone more experienced then me to clear it up. I must say, that since posting on this forum about getting a new PC-everyone has been very helpful, McMick, Hylander, Buddye, Bader and PO Percy/Prune among the most helpful. Thanks :D

Cheers,
P

Osram
BDG & A2A

Re: Any good?

Post by Osram »

Actually I use a XPS 420.
IMO the main drawback is that while with enough arm twisting you can get it to more or less run with XP, it does take a lot of time and expertise. If you are 100% absolutely sure you want to work with Vista forever, then that is no issue.

When i bought it the quads were 65 nm while the duos were 45nm, so I went with a duo (two cores, not 4). If that is still the case, i would take the same decision again.

I wanted my data safe, so opted against two harddrives in the fast RAID config (RAID 1?). I do note the harddrives are busy a lot, so unless you use it for source code, you should go with the fast system.

Apart from that, the system is very fast for me.

I am not using the MiniView. Others that have it use it, but not for anything important, so do not make your choice dependant on it.

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

Thanks Osram.

One thing though, I could on that site chose a more expensive one which is dual core. But which is better-dual or quad. It's just that a lot of the upcoming games will take advantage of quad core-one of them SoW (see Mysticpuma interview) so I thought quad core the way to go? :wink:

philip.ed
Staff Sergeant

Post by philip.ed »

Damn, £562 including vat.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”