The A2A Simulations Community

"Come share your passion for flight"
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:31 pm 
Senior Airman

Thanks Boreas :)
I'm busy with creating cockpit fx files for the other aircraft as well.The effect is more noticible in some than in others .It looks the best on the Spitfire.

Quote:
I don't know about fx files but I’m wondering wether the same sort of thing would work on the multi-skin external aircraft textures (the non-cockpit reflection in your video also look very good but I'm guessing they are to do with SweetFX).

I disabled multiskin and what you see is the higher contrast default skin which I will later upload with some other stuff. No reshade was used in the video. I'm also doing a stock terrain rework using a mix of your version7 and version 5 terrains. An unfinished version was used in the video without fartiles.

There are aircraft fx files, and if you delete or move them for a specific aircraft type it loses its individual multiskin textures and markings. So it looks like the FX files were originally created for aircraft multiskin textures because they dont seem to have the same reflective qualities as the default skins. I've recently altered the multiskin aircraft texture shadows in the fx files so there is a slight improvement . Unfortunately, specular shine cant be improved much, which is badly needed on german bomber multiskins.

I've boosted the contrast on default skin dds's as well, and the german bomber's default skins look better with their specular shine.

The fact that aircraft types lose their multiskin textures when the fx files are removed can be used to our advantage. It means that we can select which aircraft types have multiskin textures and which do not.

For instance, I fly the RAF campaign as a spit or hurri pilot. I fly in tight squadron formation and individual squadron skins and markings are highly visible, so I'll keep the multiskin textures for RAF aircraft.

I would also keep multiskin's for german fighters , because their great individual skins and markings are also noticable in a dogfight and their multiskin textures dont look that bad without shine.

On the other hand you dont really get too close to the german bombers to notice individual markings, and their multiskin textures dont look that great without specular shine. So, I remove their fx files to a safe place, and they automatically use the default skins which actually look great at a distance with their shine . This should also improve framerates in missions with huge bomber formations. It's ultimately your choice.

Later I will provide a list of aircraft fx files and where they are to be found.

HE111 HIGHER CONTRAST MULTISKIN TEXTURE (ONLY THE LEAD HEINKELS HAVE THE STRIPED MARKINGS )

HE111 HIGHER CONTRAST DEFAULT SKIN TEXTURE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:48 am 
Senior Airman

STOCK TERRAIN REWORKS
Green fields have darker more solid colours. Anything is better than the original stock pastel colours. I used a mix of Boreas version 7 and 5 stock terrain fields as a base from which to work.

VERSION1 : Darker fields

VERSION2 :Fields are slightly darker than version 1 and some light coloured fields were replaced with brown or darker fields. This is my current favorite.

get it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/eh5bmha2iq7gykk/DARKER_GREENS_STOCK_TERRAIN.zip

Optional Reshade for the stock terrain, basically just FXAA.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0lcddwccisr9fih/stock_terrain_reshade.zip

Last edited by rogeroger on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:00 am 
Senior Airman

graphics update:

Shadow effects have been adjusted on multiskin aircraft fx files to give more shadow to the multiskin aircraft textures, specially noticeable under the wings.
BEFORE

AFTER

Default aircraft skins have been reworked, check readme for more details.
Reworked default german bomber and stuka skin colours to make them more hisorically correct (default skins only, not multiskin textures).

Fx files have been created for cockpit textures, to create a sun reflection effect, check readme for more details.

Most building fx files have been adjusted to reflect more light.

get it here :

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9qyc6j318d3am1m/RRgraphic_update.zip

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:56 am 
BDG

Very nice, excellent. Things are getting more photo-realistic.
I also like the darker more saturated fields look.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:28 am 
Senior Airman

Thanks Pv :)

This was my first attempt at terrain modding a few months ago, converting rowan Bob1 terrain for use in Bob2. I didn't post it because I thought you guys would have seen it as a step backward. :)

The terrain is of low resolution, but I always liked the field shapes and colours. I wanted this palette for Bob2 terrain but didn't know how to go about it at the time. I suspect that the Bob2 stock terrain was an attempt to give Bob2 a different look. Unfortunately, different isn't always better. I'm glad that I finally have a stock terrain that I'm happy to use.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:13 pm 
BDG

I generally agree about the original Rowan terrain; it was
discarded because of low resolution, but the replacements
had to be generated from non-copyright imagery, and they
went with what they could get. I wasn't involved, so I don't
know what their sources were, but I was never happy with
the degree of busy-ness that the new textures had; they
were much less generic than the Rowan ones, which made them
often poorly suited for many of the locations they had been
placed, and greatly increased the visibility of "checkerboarding"
where Rowan's tiling had been somewhat lazy and too large
regions had been tiled with one texture. The dark painted forest
patches were particularly bad for that. I was also not happy
that several different texture numbers were assigned virtually the
same texture image. We only had about 28 to work with all together,
and I was always hampered in modding the terrain by the very limited
variety of textures I could place, so throwing away any variety in
the small selection we had to work with just seemed crazy to me.

We discovered that img0031 was only used in a very small number of
places, so we went around and swapped out most of those, and
I cobbled up the current version of strip fields for use in France, but
it's obviously a very token offering. I could use about ten new and different
textures, but we don't have the skills to add them to the program, and
swapping out some of the current ones would require an immense amount
of effort editing the whole terrain to free up their availability.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:10 am 
Staff Sergeant

I had a couple of brief looks at the new terrain and graphic updates rogeroger and like them quite a lot. I would want to tidy up some of the close-to terrain detail and noticed the spit's spare gun-sight bulbs have black squares around them but overall l it all looks very good to me, especially with the improved lighting effects. It might look even better with your reshades but I tend to try to avoid using enb effects.

I made some templates to allow more specific editing of the spitfire skin colours if needed.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/fzd2dd36ybze7z3/spitfire_texture_colour_editing_templates.zip

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 937 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63